What's new

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea DVD to have TONS of extras (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
So far, all of Disney's Vault classics have been properly framed. They're obviously taking these releases very seriously and aiming them at the collector's market... I wouldn't worry too much about 20,000 Leagues being cropped.

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
I dont't think we need to worry about a pan and scan release.

What should be of concern is whether or not they keep the original mono.

Wade_W

Auditioning
Luke,

Are you sure about Journey of Natty Gann being P&S? When I called Disney to complain about their P&S ONLY titles, I specifically asked about this title & the person (can't remember her name) told me that it would be in widescreen.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure about Journey of Natty Gann being P&S? When I called Disney to complain about their P&S ONLY titles, I specifically asked about this title & the person (can't remember her name) told me that it would be in widescreen.
As sure as I can be without having seen the disc firsthand. Almost positive.
:frowning: :thumbsdown:
Those people answering the phones are not very good at giving out correct information. Just check the other phone threads for some blatant mis-information spout out.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I dont't think we need to worry about a pan and scan release.
What should be of concern is whether or not they keep the original mono.
Mono is the INCORRECT sound format for this movie. 4.0 surround would be the best representation of the sound in its original release as you can see here:
cs255.jpg

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
This, from someone who's seen the transfer and shall remain nameless, in response to my question about how LEAGUES looks like on DVD:

The good news:

It's a restored print and new transfer. It looks INCREDIBLE! Superior to the laser disc. And there will be tons of extra material, including a long documentary culled from hours of color! behind the scenes footage.

The bad news is Disney marketing has little faith in older titles and so have decided to postpone the release until next year (even though the discs are finished). It's time to write letters -- and also buy the terrific Vault Disney titles just released this week (Pollyanna, Parent Trap, Swiss Family Robinson, Old Yeller) to prove that the sales are there for the older films.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Frankly I'm not sure that's such a good idea. I did buy all four films today. But if Disney comes to the conclusion that these older titles are popular, they'll probably decide to p&s them. I'd rather have 20,000 OAR next year than p&s this year.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I don't understand your rationale, George. Are you saying that if these titles don't prove to be popular, then they'll issue them in their OAR? Doesn't make any sense.

From a good source, it would be a good idea to support these titles by buying them and it would be a better idea to write letters (not emails or voice messages) to Disney asking for more old titles, and in their OAR to boot. Apparently the paper trail reaches them best.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I think George is cracking a rather subtle and well-handed sarchastic remark here...
It certainly got a chuckle out of me!
dave ;)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well, to spell it out more, Disney seems to think that on their very popular titles, that those of us who want OAR are only 10%-20% of the market, and we're not worth it. They'd rather put out a p&s only disc to appease the majority. That's their reasoning. If they thought that 20,000 would sell tons, they'd fear that most buyers would hate the black bars, and they'd p&s it. This comes from an interview over on the digital bits a few days ago. :frowning:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
BTW, just to rally the forces for the good side...if you haven't already everyone out there make sure you all call and email Disney and let them know that you *like* the black bars, that you think they should have a 3-min tutorial about "why widescreen" on their DVDs and that you think they should use the electronic P/S feature on DVD so they only need to encode *one* 16x9 WS transfer on the disc to acheive two aspect ratios on playback. Win-Win.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm confident it will be a pristine 2.55:1 anamorphic transfer and DD5.1 but stranger things have happened at sea... or under it, in this case. ;)
Gordy

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am certain Disney will do well with this release, OAR-wise. Although (gulp) I just saw that BABY...SECRET OF THE LOST LEGEND is pan and scan, and that was a Super Techniscope film!!! This is a first for Disney - full-width 2.35 frame being reduced to 1.33 on DVD. Scary as hell. But, you know, the complaints are dying down on HTF and probably elsewhere - fewer petition links, fewer posts - which probably means more people every day are throwing their hands into the air and accepting the "inevitable," so why should Disney, or Columbia, or Universal, care? When even forum members grow complacent, where's the opposition for them? I am as guilty as anyone - I should (and in the case of BABY, I will) be contacting them by phone and mail to express my disgust. But I know I could do more.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
In reply to Dick:
Super Techniscope was forerunner to Super 35, in that the camera negative's aperture is 1.33:1 and a 2.40:1 image is composed for on the viewfinder/monitor and 2.40:1 anamorphic 2x squeeze is extracted for theatrical prints. So 1.33:1 versions should not be "panned and scanned" versions. Not much films were shot in Super Techniscope, I can only think of one other - Greystoke: The Legend Of Tarzan I think is the title.
I say that, if you want a 2.40:1 frame, then use anamorphic lenses - Panavision. Super 35 is old hat now - widescreen is being accepted by more and more people every day! ;)
Happy trails, Dick... ;)
Gordy

Brian G

Grip
So is there a definite release date for next year on 20,000LUTS ? And has it been confirmed, as the earlier post that it is going to be a OAR release w/all the LD extras and more ? I have someone that wants to purchase my Disney Archive 20,000LUTS LD and I'm hesitant to part with it until I know the facts, can anyone confirm ?

Don

Second Unit
went to the supposed site but could not find anything there on it not even a search does anyone have the proper link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks