20,000 Leagues Under the Sea DVD to have TONS of extras

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaViD Boulet, May 3, 2002.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

check this out at thebits:
    http://thedigitalbits.com/#vault
    From Eric Young, the disc producer at Disney (maybe we should send *him* some email about 16x9 Muppet Treasure Island since he seems like friend to DVD fans [​IMG] ):

2. Rain

Rain Producer

Why is everyone convinced this release will be OAR, given all the fuss about Disney going P&S.

I'm not going to celebrate until specs are officially announced.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I'd love to have a nicely transferred copy of this goofy but charming film--it arouses a boyish sense of wonder in me.

But it's such a sad commentary on these new times in which we live that we must hold our breaths until Disney confirms or denies that said transfer will be in the original aspect ratio.

Once the cat's tail has been caught between the screendoor, he never feels comfortable about that door again. Same with us and Disney.

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I can't wait for this DVD!

I simply can't see Disney presenting this 2.55:1 film full frame, especially since it's aimed more at an older crowd than most of their films. However, crazier things have happened.

5. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Fantastic news, an absolute classic Disney movie finally gets what it deserves, but more important than all those extras though is that the movie MUST be released in full widescreen (it was made in Cinemascope).

Still shocked that the release of the super-wide animated classic 'Sleeping Beauty' on R2 DVD is pan&scan, really really pathetic.

6. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

The fact that their Swiss Family Robinson "Vault Disney" release is in its proper aspect ratio, gives pretty good clue that this will be, too. Seems like the four releases under this banner so far have been given proper treatment at last.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'm not too worried that the Vault Disney titles will be handled properly, as they seem to understand the market for this line. I wouldn't put it past them doing movie only editions in P&S, but no casual customer cares about all the supplemental material that these films are getting. The Love Bug is also in process, which means I'll be getting all of the announced titles so far, budget permitting.

8. Daniel Schenk

Daniel Schenk Stunt Coordinator

The French and German Sleeping Beauty Editions are in 16x9 Widescreen. Maybe you better sell the UK version and get either the German or French Editions?!

9. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Maybe Mary Poppins will get a re-issue under the Vault DVD title. [​IMG]

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

11. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Mary Poppins would be a great candidate for Vault Disney. I wish Disney treated all of their films with such care for audio and video and made efforts to release them with extras. Is a theatrical trailer asking too much?

12. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Vault Disney?!! What brainiac thinks up stuff like this? Who is going to do the intros?......Count Dracula?!!

"Velcome to Vault Disney.....Vere ve are goink to be seeink classic live feeelms from Valt Disney. HAaaHahaha.

Sheesh....couldn't they come up with somethng that didn't sound like a bad pun? Still...it is good to see that "20000 leagues under the Sea" is being released. It is one of the few live action Disney films that I can stomach.

13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

14. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Um...films are kept in vaults. Hence the name, Vault Disney. Since older films are preserved or kept in vaults, this would be where the name originates.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I understand that films are or can be preserved in vaults. It was just the word combination that seems ridiculous......like someone thought it would be funny to use the words "Vault (Walt) Disney". If they want to use alliteration, why not call it "Walt's Vault" or how about "Disney's High Vaultage" with appropriate tune by AC/DC. [​IMG]
    I especially like "Disney's Cryo-Cinema" with the tagline "fresh from the freezer".

15. Claes Ljunghorn

Claes Ljunghorn Stunt Coordinator

16. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

In Sweden it is exactly the other way around! Disney is releasing all films made in 1,37:1 - 1,85:1 in the OAR on DVD. All films wider than that are pan-scan ONLY. Like Sleeping Beauty, Lady and the Tramp and Atlantis.

------------------------------------------------------------

Disney corp. is bizarre. They are so f'ing big that it seems the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. You would think that they would have a consistent worldwide policy regarding their releases. Unfortunately, if they did......the dopes would probably be P&S'ing everything.

17. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I can't wait for Treasure Island, Disney's first all-live film. It is a gorgeous Technicolor treat that will we will probably need sunglasses for on dvd!! I can't wait!

18. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

19. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

20. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart