20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Oliver Siegel, Nov 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

The first time I ever saw Them!, my first thought was, oh THIS is where Cameron stole (cough) borrowed the scenes in the alien hive. Having seen Aliens before I saw Them!
    Doug

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Then we just disagree.

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    They are both sci-fi and horror.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I've seen sites, critics and publications classify them as such.

5. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

FWIW, I think of Alien as a true Horror / SF hybrid and agree with those who praise it for melding those two genres so successfully.
    The (giant) creature features of the '50s while containing horror elements are, in my estimation, much more closely aligned with the SF genre. By exploring the ramifications of man's dealings with radioactivity the engage in a genuine SF pursuit - extrapolation of technological change (the atom bomb) and its impact on society, as personified by the monsters that inhabit this sub-genre. The fact that they are cautionary tales further enhances their SF credentials.
    As Ray Bradbury famously said "I don't try to predict the future, I try to prevent it."
    - Walter.

6. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Well, that's certainly a view that's often promoted these days, but in the films themselves it's usually treated in a perfunctory manner, via brief opening montages of bomb-test stock-footage or in tech-babble exchanges between men in white smocks and military brass. It serves only to support at least a semblance of suspension of disbelief, so it's really just a MacGuffin: it's the thing that nobody in the film cares about but sets up the situation that they do care about and that takes up virtually the whole film: battling giant bugs.

7. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Well, I agree that the films are not feature length treatises on the perils of atomic energy and that yes, they do often merely set the stage for a bug-hunt, but I still find them to be more SF than horror. Having said that, I will qualify that statement by admitting that the slasher films from the '70s onward may have have 'reset' my horror genre expectations and if I were a viewer in 1950s my thinking on the genre classifications might have been different.
    - Walter.

8. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Indeed I don't even consider slasher films to be horror films. I tend to refer to them as gore films, as they seem to be more interested in grossing out the audience, than illiciting true horror. Interestingly the film that is often sited as having started the slasher genre, Halloween, has very little gore in it.
    Doug

9. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Surely they have elements of both. In my opinion its the emphasis that makes the difference. Consider two films from the 1950's, Them! and Forbidden Planet. Both have giant monsters. In Them!, once we get past the notion that the ants are creations of atomic testing, the movie is mostly about how scary they are, and how much they can put the cast in danger. Forbidden Planet's monster is also scary, but the film makers are more interested in the nature of the beast. In fact the revelation, or twist at the end of the film is a rather deep sci-fi concept that makes you think about it after the film is over, rather than just keeping you up at night.
    Doug

10. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Anyone heard anything about this title? The remastered version is on itunes, but im holding out for the BluRay. This is my desired title that has yet to be released on BD, along with The Abyss. Something about those underwater movies I guess.

Mark Cappelletty likes this.
  11. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    20,000 Leagues is also on my want list as is The Abyss, True Lies and Swiss Family Robinson.

andySu likes this.
  12. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I kept hearing report after report about how it was coming for its 60th (!) anniversary this year-- and yet, nothing so far. I'm glad I didn't sell my 2-disc DVD.

MatthewA likes this.
  13. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    There is a lot of old disney I would buy on BD. 20k Leagues, Swiss Family Robinson, The Black Hole, Condorman...

MatthewA likes this.
  14. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    No one knows what it was like to see this movie in 70mm when it first ran...unless you were there. There was nothing like it ever...!Same for Superman and Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind...and of course Jaws.What can I say...it'll never be the same in anyones lifetime!!!

15. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    These "reports" were all purely speculative. There has been no official announcement and, even if there was (i.e. POLLYANNA, THE ABSENT-MINDED PROFESSOR), I would consider it with a toaster-size grain of salt.

16. seangood79

seangood79 Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    I came across this article where they discuss restoring this title.
    They also talk about correcting the Cinemascope Mumps.
    If I'm reading this correctly, they're taking the entire 2.66 negative, and squeezing it to 2.55, and then say it's how people saw it in 1954.
    People in 1954 saw the movie with the mumps, I don't understand why studios feel they have to alter the film for today's audiences.

ABaglivi likes this.
  17. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    The mumps were never supposed to be there to begin with. You make it sound like its an intentional effect.

18. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    Yep, when does restoration go too far (the wires in War Of The Worlds?), but at least you could say they're trying, & putting some effort into it. There could still be a 60th anniversary release, maybe in a few months to catch the Christmas market,

19. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I really don't like camera distortion, they didn't intentionally add that, it was just as good as they had at the time, i have no problem with them fixing camera distortion or removing wires that take you out of the film, they would have done it back then if they had the technology. This is an example of technology being used to improve things, i say why not.

20. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    ahollis and FoxyMulder like this.