What's new

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Walter Kittel said:
Off topic, but one of the more interesting comparisons I ever read had to do with the similarities and influence of Them! on James Cameron's Aliens. I don't recall where I read this, but it provided some intriguing contrasts between the two films.
Best SF film of the '50s for me is easily The Day The Earth Stood Still. A pure SF film that ponders man's place in the cosmos with excellent FX work and a great otherworldly performance from Michael Rennie. A true classic of the genre that is still remarkably relevant.
To get somewhat back on topic, a Bd of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea would be an automatic purchase. I really love seeing the classics (which I never had the opportunity to see theatrically) released in High Definition. Next best thing to seeing them at a theater.
- Walter.
The first time I ever saw Them!, my first thought was, oh THIS is where Cameron stole (cough) borrowed the scenes in the alien hive. Having seen Aliens before I saw Them!
Doug

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce /t/324930/20-000-leagues-under-the-sea-1954-blu-ray#post_3997804
Yes its a horror film. Just as Frankenstein is a horror film, even though at its heart it is a story of advanced medical science. I'm sorry but giant bug movies are first and for most, horror films. Of course the dividing line between sci-fi and horror is sometimes rather thin.
I'll go farther and say that Alien is a horror film, Prometheus is a sci-fi film.
Doug
Then we just disagree.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TonyD /t/324930/20-000-leagues-under-the-sea-1954-blu-ray#post_3997882
They are both sci-fi and horror.
I've seen sites, critics and publications classify them as such.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, I think of Alien as a true Horror / SF hybrid and agree with those who praise it for melding those two genres so successfully.
The (giant) creature features of the '50s while containing horror elements are, in my estimation, much more closely aligned with the SF genre. By exploring the ramifications of man's dealings with radioactivity the engage in a genuine SF pursuit - extrapolation of technological change (the atom bomb) and its impact on society, as personified by the monsters that inhabit this sub-genre. The fact that they are cautionary tales further enhances their SF credentials.
As Ray Bradbury famously said "I don't try to predict the future, I try to prevent it."
- Walter.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Walter Kittel said:
By exploring the ramifications of man's dealings with radioactivity the engage in a genuine SF pursuit - extrapolation of technological change (the atom bomb) and its impact on society, as personified by the monsters that inhabit this sub-genre. The fact that they are cautionary tales further enhances their SF credentials.
Well, that's certainly a view that's often promoted these days, but in the films themselves it's usually treated in a perfunctory manner, via brief opening montages of bomb-test stock-footage or in tech-babble exchanges between men in white smocks and military brass. It serves only to support at least a semblance of suspension of disbelief, so it's really just a MacGuffin: it's the thing that nobody in the film cares about but sets up the situation that they do care about and that takes up virtually the whole film: battling giant bugs.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
but in the films themselves it's usually treated in a perfunctory manner
Well, I agree that the films are not feature length treatises on the perils of atomic energy and that yes, they do often merely set the stage for a bug-hunt, but I still find them to be more SF than horror. Having said that, I will qualify that statement by admitting that the slasher films from the '70s onward may have have 'reset' my horror genre expectations and if I were a viewer in 1950s my thinking on the genre classifications might have been different.
- Walter.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Walter Kittel said:
Well, I agree that the films are not feature length treatises on the perils of atomic energy and that yes, they do often merely set the stage for a bug-hunt, but I still find them to be more SF than horror. Having said that, I will qualify that statement by admitting that the slasher films from the '70s onward may have have 'reset' my horror genre expectations and if I were a viewer in 1950s my thinking on the genre classifications might have been different.
- Walter.
Indeed I don't even consider slasher films to be horror films. I tend to refer to them as gore films, as they seem to be more interested in grossing out the audience, than illiciting true horror. Interestingly the film that is often sited as having started the slasher genre, Halloween, has very little gore in it.
Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
TonyD said:
They are both sci-fi and horror.
Surely they have elements of both. In my opinion its the emphasis that makes the difference. Consider two films from the 1950's, Them! and Forbidden Planet. Both have giant monsters. In Them!, once we get past the notion that the ants are creations of atomic testing, the movie is mostly about how scary they are, and how much they can put the cast in danger. Forbidden Planet's monster is also scary, but the film makers are more interested in the nature of the beast. In fact the revelation, or twist at the end of the film is a rather deep sci-fi concept that makes you think about it after the film is over, rather than just keeping you up at night.
Doug

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Anyone heard anything about this title? The remastered version is on itunes, but im holding out for the BluRay. This is my desired title that has yet to be released on BD, along with The Abyss. Something about those underwater movies I guess.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I kept hearing report after report about how it was coming for its 60th (!) anniversary this year-- and yet, nothing so far. I'm glad I didn't sell my 2-disc DVD.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Vegas 1 said:
20,000 Leagues is also on my want list as is The Abyss, True Lies and Swiss Family Robinson.
There is a lot of old disney I would buy on BD. 20k Leagues, Swiss Family Robinson, The Black Hole, Condorman...

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
FWIW, I think of Alien as a true Horror / SF hybrid and agree with those who praise it for melding those two genres so successfully. The (giant) creature features of the '50s while containing horror elements are, in my estimation, much more closely aligned with the SF genre. By exploring the ramifications of man's dealings with radioactivity the engage in a genuine SF pursuit - extrapolation of technological change (the atom bomb) and its impact on society, as personified by the monsters that inhabit this sub-genre. The fact that they are cautionary tales further enhances their SF credentials. As Ray Bradbury famously said "I don't try to predict the future, I try to prevent it." - Walter.
No one knows what it was like to see this movie in 70mm when it first ran...unless you were there. There was nothing like it ever...!Same for Superman and Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind...and of course Jaws.What can I say...it'll never be the same in anyones lifetime!!!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mark Cappelletty said:
I kept hearing report after report about how it was coming for its 60th (!) anniversary this year-- and yet, nothing so far. I'm glad I didn't sell my 2-disc DVD.
These "reports" were all purely speculative. There has been no official announcement and, even if there was (i.e. POLLYANNA, THE ABSENT-MINDED PROFESSOR), I would consider it with a toaster-size grain of salt.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I came across this article where they discuss restoring this title.
They also talk about correcting the Cinemascope Mumps.
Using original on-set production and publicity photos for accurate sizing reference, the restoration team removed much of this distortion by digitally squeezing in the image .5%. Since the original camera negative of 20,000 Leagues was actually shot perf to perf in 2.66:1, this new restoration has gained 1.6mm of image on the left side and .25mm on the right side of the frame-all of which had heretofore been concealed by the mag track in original prints. This “mumps” correction enabled us to faithfully reconstruct the original 2.55:1 image as seen in first-run theaters during the 1954 and early 1955 theatrical engagements.
If I'm reading this correctly, they're taking the entire 2.66 negative, and squeezing it to 2.55, and then say it's how people saw it in 1954.
People in 1954 saw the movie with the mumps, I don't understand why studios feel they have to alter the film for today's audiences.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The mumps were never supposed to be there to begin with. You make it sound like its an intentional effect.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yep, when does restoration go too far (the wires in War Of The Worlds?), but at least you could say they're trying, & putting some effort into it. There could still be a 60th anniversary release, maybe in a few months to catch the Christmas market,

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
seangood79 said:
I came across this article where they discuss restoring this title.
They also talk about correcting the Cinemascope Mumps.

If I'm reading this correctly, they're taking the entire 2.66 negative, and squeezing it to 2.55, and then say it's how people saw it in 1954.
People in 1954 saw the movie with the mumps, I don't understand why studios feel they have to alter the film for today's audiences.
I really don't like camera distortion, they didn't intentionally add that, it was just as good as they had at the time, i have no problem with them fixing camera distortion or removing wires that take you out of the film, they would have done it back then if they had the technology. This is an example of technology being used to improve things, i say why not.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks