20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Oliver Siegel, Nov 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Oliver Siegel

Oliver Siegel Stunt Coordinator

Any news/rumours on when this classic may be hitting Blu?

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    If the restoration is done, then it should be out sometime next year. If not, I guess it'll be out by 2014.

I missed the recent nationwide digital screening of this title a couple weeks. Was it the new restoration?

3. benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben Hufbauer
    I think the theatrical screening was probably the new restoration, but I'm not sure. It was OK when it comes to PQ, but not ideal. There were some halo issues in a few places and, as you know, CinemaScope just doesn't have the resolution of VistaVision or the 70mm formats. Still it's a great film. In fact, probably the greatest science fiction film of the 1950s imho, which is saying quite a bit given the classics that came out in that decade.

4. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

I'd call it pretty close between 20,000 Leagues and Forbidden Planet.
    Doug

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I always thought Forbidden Planet was overrated. A little film like "Them" was a superior film to me.

Crawdaddy

6. stevenHa

stevenHa Stunt Coordinator

I would love to see all the Disney live action fantasies on blu ray, this one as well as Mary Poppins, Darby, 3rd Man on the Mountain, Love Bug,
    Castaways, Sword and the Rose, Robin Hood, etc.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    No news, but I have heard that the restoration has been
    long in the process for Blu-ray release.

So, expect the film to be released sooner than later.

8. benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben Hufbauer
    Yes, Forbidden Planet, War of the Worlds, This Island Earth, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Them, When Worlds Collide, etc....What Disney did, however, was to give a truly epic "A" level budget to the film, as well as a great cast and excellent script. The production design of 20k is awesome, I think. Walt Disney was involved not just in the overall design but in the details. And he had a great team and he let them do what they were capable of, and it shows. Here's one small example. In an early scene you see the whole harbor of San Francisco as it would have looked in the late 19th century. The scene lasts just a few seconds, but it's clear it was a labor of love, talent, and a lot of money to make that come to life. It works today better than CGI would for this, at least imho....

9. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    HDNet Movies showed this a couple months ago. Looked pretty damn stunning even if it wasn't a "full restoration".

10. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Oliver, would you mind sharing the source of your quote? It's interesting to read but I'd like to know whose words I'm reading.

11. Oliver Siegel

Oliver Siegel Stunt Coordinator

No, not at all.http://disneydigitalstudio.com/2727/bringing-20000-leagues-sound-back-from-under-the-sea/

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I would love to have this on blu.
    Might have been one of the first movies I ever watched on TV early 70's.
    I remember seeing an animated version of this too way back probably also,in the 70's.

13. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

A fully-restored 20000 Leagues is my personal Holy Grail Blu-Ray.

14. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Well Them! is a horror film, Forbidden Planet is sci-fi. FP is exploring somewhat larger ideas. Don't get me wrong, Them! is one of my favorite movies.
    Doug

15. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

I will agree that with the exception of Walter Pigeon, 20,000 Leagues has a superior cast, and surely Disney spared no expense.
    Doug

16. Brian McP

Brian McP Second Unit

Brian
    I'd like to see this movie come out on bluray, fully restored, while Kirk Douglas is still around -- I know he would too.
    In spite of it's shortcomings, I'd like to also see the '20,000 Leagues'-inspired Disney epic "The Black Hole" get the bluray treatment, if only for Peter Ellenshaw's spectacular visuals and John Barry's terrific score. With all the special effects elements piled on for each major scene in that movie, I wonder if those seeing this movie will be taken aback by how much added grain there is and how it changes from scene to scene? Would Disney leave all that in or would they go to great expense and clean it all out? Would they do likewise with similar scenes in "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea"?

17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    So giant ants caused by radioactivity is not sci-fi, but is a horror film. Right!

18. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Off topic, but one of the more interesting comparisons I ever read had to do with the similarities and influence of Them! on James Cameron's Aliens. I don't recall where I read this, but it provided some intriguing contrasts between the two films.
    Best SF film of the '50s for me is easily The Day The Earth Stood Still. A pure SF film that ponders man's place in the cosmos with excellent FX work and a great otherworldly performance from Michael Rennie. A true classic of the genre that is still remarkably relevant.
    To get somewhat back on topic, a Bd of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea would be an automatic purchase. I really love seeing the classics (which I never had the opportunity to see theatrically) released in High Definition. Next best thing to seeing them at a theater.
    - Walter.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Walter,

I have to say The Day the Earth Stood Still is another title right up there for me. As to 20,000 Leagues, it's a definite BD purchase.

Crawdaddy

20. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Yes its a horror film. Just as Frankenstein is a horror film, even though at its heart it is a story of advanced medical science. I'm sorry but giant bug movies are first and for most, horror films. Of course the dividing line between sci-fi and horror is sometimes rather thin.
    I'll go farther and say that Alien is a horror film, Prometheus is a sci-fi film.
    Doug