What's new

Zavvi UK stops/suspends International Shipping (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Not really sure where to put this since we've never had a specific Zavvi thread.

Early this week I think, ZAVVI UK announced it was stopping all international shipping outside the UK (at least for Movies, but not necessarily general merch) throwing quite a few people for a loop. It's unclear what that means for people with preorders pending -- some have been told those orders would be honored, others have gotten cancellations (with refunds) before shipping or even afterward with Dispatch notices sent/tracking numbers but then the next day abruptly recalling/cancelling. There really wasn't an explanation about why -- Brexit legalities, shipping costs, international Postal Regs, some suggest Rights Holders of Region A titles of those titles sold by ZavviUk often under a different studio decided to crack down. This sounds like it
might be temporary, but nothing appears 100% clear

Zavvi has been somewhat equivalent to Deep Discount over the last 10 years or so. An alternative to AmazonUK who shipped worldwide,
often at a nice savings compared to Amazon, often with very nice sales especially on Specialty Studio items like Arrow, and more than once have frustrated the
heck out of folks with their hit or miss Customer Service.

Many people have used them for Exclusive Steelbooks -- often not just UK exclusives but worldwide one-offs. Over the last few years, they've started adding US sales
tax since the Owner THE HUT GROUP is multinational and has several businesses (non media) in the US and even a US based Customer Service center.
Shipping has gone from starting at Free for Steelbooks to 0.99 to 1.99 to 4.99 flatrate for international. A year or so back, THE HUT bought ARROW Films though
for now Zavvi and Arrow companies still seem to function independently and Arrow has continued to acquire/produce discs mostly like they have in the past as well
as running their own Retail Front. I'm not sure if Zavvi and Arrow are using the same warehouse/distribution sites though there is some indication that is happening
both with items ordered from ZavviUK/ArrowUK and a domestic US Warehouse for at least some of ZavviUS/ArrowUS orders.

Zavvi has numerous Local Country websites in AUS, various EU countries, and a US site. Zavvi US has Region A produced discs from studios like Arrow and Powerhouse, but virtually
none of the Region B/UK produced titles and Exclusive Steelbooks so the inventories of the stores are quite different. Some of the countries have reported ALL their media listings are now gone.

A big worry is how (if) this might impact ArrowUK website since a lot of folks here have also participated in the Arrow Films UK sales since their prices (even with recent increases) have often been 10-50% lower than the exact same ArrowUS titles as well as to buy those items not cross releases in US clothing. To date there appears to be no change in the ArrowUK taking and fulfilling orders outside the UK, but...

The number of UK Media sites that ship to the US has been narrowly considerably over the last several years. HMV quit several years ago, more recently BASE and Deff.com have suspended or stopped, AmazonUK is frustratingly sporadic is what items they will ship or not, and now ZavviUK. So far the direct sellers seem to still be shipping -- Powerhouse, Eureka, etc

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wondering... Is this sorta stoppage becoming commonplace w/ UK shops/dealers in general?

I don't shop w/ Zavvi myself, but usually just import via Amazon UK if/when I get around to it (though the much higher shipping costs nowadays are a very major deterrent)... although I've also made a couple large orders directly w/ Powerhouse/Indicator in the past year (after discovering their great sales) -- don't know how likely I'll wanna order from them again anytime soon though...

_Man_

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Thanks for this info, David.

This hasn’t stopped Zavvi from sending promotional emails to me here in Australia. I received two earlier this evening, plus the one below hurrying me up to purchase the contents of my shopping cart:

1676051044663.png

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Wondering... Is this sorta stoppage becoming commonplace w/ UK shops/dealers in general?

I don't shop w/ Zavvi myself, but usually just import via Amazon UK if/when I get around to it (though the much higher shipping costs nowadays are a very major deterrent)... although I've also made a couple large orders directly w/ Powerhouse/Indicator in the past year (after discovering their great sales) -- don't know how likely I'll wanna order from them again anytime soon though...

_Man_

There weren't that many big stores that shipped outside UK (or at least EU pre-Brexit), but many have stopped completely.

Rarewaves is still a good option for general items -- cheap, but sometimes maddenly slow shipping times, very mediocre packaging, and usually no tracking just to make slow worse.

AmazonUk shipping costs actually seem a bit better than the last 24 months at least on some items though certainly nothing like it was before political issues on multiple fronts blew it to hell. Getting groups items that will actually ship is still a chore though

The Direct Stores still seem OK. I absolutely love Powerhouse, but I have to save up items to get to the Free Shipping threshhold. Last weekend they had a bunch of recently OOS Limited Editions come back for sale so I took a chance and ordered a bunch of them I missed the first time around -- the Force 10 Slipbox, but also 15+ normal case items with their booklets. I know a lot of folks live and breath Eureka! releases. Network still seems OK for shipping as well as a number of the smaller specialty studios.

Deff.com had a somewhat limited inventory and only shipped priority to the US by the time I found them, but their packaging was beyond top of the line. Made SAE and Powerhouse look like they were slacking. Very well liked even with higher prices by some collectors just due to their packaging safety.

Base had an extensive following in the US -- good sales and very cheap shipping costs.
HMV was like a version of BEST BUY/Fry's and have in the past been one of the 1st Tier B&M stores for media -- great sales, superb exclusives, but they stopped International sales several years ago.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
There weren't that many big stores that shipped outside UK (or at least EU pre-Brexit), but many have stopped completely.

Rarewaves is still a good option for general items -- cheap, but sometimes maddenly slow shipping times, very mediocre packaging, and usually no tracking just to make slow worse.

AmazonUk shipping costs actually seem a bit better than the last 24 months at least on some items though certainly nothing like it was before political issues on multiple fronts blew it to hell. Getting groups items that will actually ship is still a chore though

The Direct Stores still seem OK. I absolutely love Powerhouse, but I have to save up items to get to the Free Shipping threshhold. Last weekend they had a bunch of recently OOS Limited Editions come back for sale so I took a chance and ordered a bunch of them I missed the first time around -- the Force 10 Slipbox, but also 15+ normal case items with their booklets. I know a lot of folks live and breath Eureka! releases. Network still seems OK for shipping as well as a number of the smaller specialty studios.

Deff.com had a somewhat limited inventory and only shipped priority to the US by the time I found them, but their packaging was beyond top of the line. Made SAE and Powerhouse look like they were slacking. Very well liked even with higher prices by some collectors just due to their packaging safety.

Base had an extensive following in the US -- good sales and very cheap shipping costs.
HMV was like a version of BEST BUY/Fry's and have in the past been one of the 1st Tier B&M stores for media -- great sales, superb exclusives, but they stopped International sales several years ago.
I’ve always been gobsmacked by the fact that Eureka / MoC has free shipping to anywhere in the world.

It’s not as if they have hidden shipping charges built in to their items either, because they are the same for UK residents and overseas buyers.

Very reasonable item pricing too in comparison to their competitors.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I’ve always been gobsmacked by the fact that Eureka / MoC has free shipping to anywhere in the world.

It’s not as if they have hidden shipping charges built in to their items either, because they are the same for UK residents and overseas buyers.

Very reasonable item pricing too in comparison to their competitors.

Guess I should finally check their direct sales site out then... Have never done so myself.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks