What's new

Your Twilight Time/MGM wishlist? (1 Viewer)

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
upload_2017-9-19_10-26-13.png
upload_2017-9-19_10-26-31.png
upload_2017-9-19_10-26-51.png

My two MGM requests are Sam Peckinpah's "Pat Garret and Billy the Kid" and Ernest Lubitsch's "The Shop Around the Corner." I believe Warners has the right to both of them. I'd be thrilled with releases by them.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Edited by PMF
I deleted a title suggestion, as I had not realized the thread was exclusive to MGM titles.

Last edited:

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I've been wanting to have the Jerusalem File for awhile. That would be a good one. Daria Halprin was gorgeous.

The thing is, this is one of those rare mainstream titles that has never seen the light of day Stateside in any form of homevid release (or recent TV airdate). Presumably there must be some stubborn rights entanglement(s).

Anyway, I always opt to push a rarity like this to the top of my want-list ahead of a title I'd like to see on blu ray but which I already can get on a perfectly good DVD.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
How does The Best Man compare to Advise and Consent, which Henry Fonda also starred in.

Although both films are about politics and in particular about who is going to get an important position, the two films are very different. It's not easy to compare them. I like both a lot. The biggest difference for me is that The Best Man is faster paced. The second biggest difference is the way The President is presented. In Advise And Consent the presentation is conventional: The President is a great man: wise, conscientious and concerned. He's had his ups and downs but he's hanging in there, determined to serve his country well. In The Best Man The President is a hard, ruthless political operator with no sympathy for weaklings or losers. In both films The President is played superbly by an actor on top form: Franchot Tone and Lee Tracy. Both films and both performances are excellent.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Although both films are about politics and in particular about who is going to get an important position, the two films are very different. It's not easy to compare them. I like both a lot. The biggest difference for me is that The Best Man is faster paced. The second biggest difference is the way The President is presented. In Advise And Consent the presentation is conventional: The President is a great man: wise, conscientious and concerned. He's had his ups and downs but he's hanging in there, determined to serve his country well. In The Best Man The President is a hard, ruthless political operator with no sympathy for weaklings or losers. In both films The President is played superbly by an actor on top form: Franchot Tone and Lee Tracy. Both films and both performances are excellent.
Thanks, that helps me decide, looks like I might want to get this film

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
...My Dream titles are Hallelujah Trail in 2:76 ratio and Alamo Roadshow cut but I know that Hallelujah and Alamo have yet to be restored sadly.

Hallelujah Trail
has only been released on DVD in 2.35. Alamo shorter version is shown on MGM HD and looks better than the DVD. The restored is on TCM HD but has a soft looking picture.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Any widescreen historical or religious classic epics left that MGM still controls that haven't had a blu-ray release yet?

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thanks, that helps me decide, looks like I might want to get this film

I watched The Best Man again last night, on an MGM MOD which comes with a warning about best available source material. I'd forgotten that in The Best Man, as in Advise And Consent. the President is in very poor health and is about to die which, of course, he is keeping secret. I'd also forgotten that The Best Man comes from a play by Gore Vidal.

Last edited:

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I watched The Best Man again last night, on an MGM MOD which comes with a warning about best available source material. I'd forgotten that in The Best Man, as in Advise And Consent. the President is in very poor health and is about to die which, of course, he is keeping secret. I'd also forgotten that The Best Man comes from a play by Gore Vidal.

I guess that explains why it has not had a Blu-ray release yet. It sounds like it is in dire need of a restoration

topanga

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felicia
If it isn't owned by Warner Brothers, I sure would like to see Twilight Time release:

upload_2017-10-8_22-36-32.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks