What's new

Your Twilight Time/MGM wishlist? (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
ROclockCK said:
Wasn't aware of that, only its release via MGM DVD.At Warner's pace with the WAC though, how long will that take? :huh:
I actually think we will start to seeing the titles appearing more frequently next year. There some work that needed to be preformed on them and Warner wants to get the Paramount titles out now since that agreement only has about two years left.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
ahollis said:
MGM still has the title. Not sure how long the license for the titles are for but I feel the agreement has about four years to go. It would be good if Olive or Twilight could obtain the rights, maybe even SHOUT.
RE: The Last Valley...It would only be good if the Blu is sourced from good elements. This was a TODD-AO 70 mm production.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
ANYTHING BEST PICTURE NOMINATED!!!

The Fortune Cookie (Wilder)
Witness for the Prosecution (Wilder)
Mississippi Burning (Parker)
In the Heat of the Night (Jewison)
Coming Home (Ashby)
Bound for Glory (Ashby)
The Turning Point

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
battlebeast said:
ANYTHING BEST PICTURE NOMINATED!!!The Fortune Cookie (Wilder)Witness for the Prosecution (Wilder)Mississippi Burning (Parker)In the Heat of the Night (Jewison)Coming Home (Ashby)Bound for Glory (Ashby)The Turning Point
What Battlebeast says.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Coming Home
The Trip to Bountiful
The Lion in Winter

Just to name my top three. Quite a few others follow close on the heel of those.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Does MGM now have the rights to the Cannon Film's Appointment with Death with Peter Ustinov once again starring as Hercule Poirot? No, it's not as good as his EMI Poirot films or the modernized CBS ones, but this film never had a region 1 DVD release (I have the 4:3 laserdisc), and it might win some new fans on Blu-ray. It has a fine cast doing what they can with less-than-stellar direction.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Two obvious United Artists titles for Twilight Time would be Exodus (Oscar-winning score by Ernest Gold) and Taras Bulba (scored by Franz Waxman). The scores for both films are held in very high regard, with a number of CD's of the Taras Bulba score released by FSM or Intrada. I can't remember. Exodus however has never seen its full original score released on CD and this would be a fantastic opportunity for Twilight Time. Considering that they came into newly-discovered scoring tapes on Khartoum recently, something tells me they'll go after any that still exist on Exodus.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Lromero1396 said:
Two obvious United Artists titles for Twilight Time would be Exodus (Oscar-winning score by Ernest Gold) and Taras Bulba (scored by Franz Waxman). The scores for both films are held in very high regard, with a number of CD's of the Taras Bulba score released by FSM or Intrada. I can't remember. Exodus however has never seen its full original score released on CD and this would be a fantastic opportunity for Twilight Time. Considering that they came into newly-discovered scoring tapes on Khartoum recently, something tells me they'll go after any that still exist on Exodus.
I believe the first soundtrack CD album of TARAS BULBA was on the defunct label RYKO. Years after that release Kritzerland released a limited version with improved sound. That's where it stands for the original recording which in fact is a rerecording with a smaller orchestra. A few year(s) after the Kritzerland release Tadlow rerecorded the complete(and I mean complete) version with full orchestra. This is the one version I listen to but the Kritzerland version does have it's high points.

Regarding EXODUS..it is pretty hopeless unless the original tapes have been found somewhere...

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Paul Rossen said:
I believe the first soundtrack CD album of TARAS BULBA was on the defunct label RYKO. Years after that release Kritzerland released a limited version with improved sound. That's where it stands for the original recording which in fact is a rerecording with a smaller orchestra. A few year(s) after the Kritzerland release Tadlow rerecorded the complete(and I mean complete) version with full orchestra. This is the one version I listen to but the Kritzerland version does have it's high points.

Regarding EXODUS..it is pretty hopeless unless the original tapes have been found somewhere...
So the original scoring sessions are definitely lost? That would be my guess since United Artists was notoriously bad with their archiving. I think there was a major junking sometime back in the '80s as well, but I can't be certain. Robert Harris would probably know.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
So the original scoring sessions are definitely lost? That would be my guess since United Artists was notoriously bad with their archiving. I think there was a major junking sometime back in the '80s as well, but I can't be certain. Robert Harris would probably know.
United Artists weren't nearly as bad as Columbia for archiving their music tapes. If only all studios were as good as Fox & MGM, then we'd have a lot more original score tapes. I hope the stereo combined tracks survive for Taras Bulba, as I understand that the Australian Blu-ray is mono, & when TCM (UK) show it, it's in mono.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Billy Batson said:
United Artists weren't nearly as bad as Columbia for archiving their music tapes. If only all studios were as good as Fox & MGM, then we'd have a lot more original score tapes. I hope the stereo combined tracks survive for Taras Bulba, as I understand that the Australian Blu-ray is mono, & when TCM (UK) show it, it's in mono.
So was Taras Bulba a 4-track stereo release? I thought UA had gone mono on 35mm productions at that point. Also, it's available on BD in Australia? How is that release? If you have it, that is.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
throw a little drama into that mix

Separate Tables (David Raksin score)

any of the MGM Poitier films,

and a little film with some great credentials

called Marty :)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
So was Taras Bulba a 4-track stereo release? I thought UA had gone mono on 35mm productions at that point. Also, it's available on BD in Australia? How is that release? If you have it, that is.
No I don't have it, I read that it wasn't so hot.http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=177753And I thought it was stereo, but checking around the net I'm not so sure now.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Peter Sellers. Peter Sellers. Peter Sellers.

No idea what condition the masters for these are titles are in, but likely TT now has access to some career-defining gems via the MGM/UA library:

[*]The World of Henry Orient (Elmer Bernstein score)
[*]The Party (Henry Mancini score)
[*]After the Fox
[*]The Naked Truth (Stanley Black score)
[*]The Blockhouse
[*]What's New Pussycat
[*]Never Let Go (John Barry score)
[/list]
Top of my personal wishlist would be The Mouse That Roared (Columbia) along with its sequel The Mouse on the Moon (MGM). Sellers wasn't in the latter, but Rutherford x2 would certainly be a hoot.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Stefan Andersson said:
Any takers for Baby Face Nelson (1957)?

Maybe MGM lost the rights. Anyway, a Don Siegel movie with a good reputation (at least in old books about gangster movies) that nobody seems to mention in forum discussions.

I read somewhere that there is only one print in existence now.
That's one of my holy grail titles. It has never been released on home video, as far as I can determine.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Lromero1396 said:
Visually, the Australian BD of TARAS BULBA is heads and heels above the lousy standard DVD release, nice saturated colors and the sharpness is pretty good, too, without the grain DNR-ed out. The soundtrack seems full and rich on my system. I guess it could be better, but I was more than satisfied with it. It would be fun to see KINGS OF THE SUN with the Bernstein score or SOLOMON AND SHEBA and THE VIKINGS with the Nascimbene scores. These have never had a BD release anywhere in the world.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Ed Lachmann said:
Visually, the Australian BD of TARAS BULBA is heads and heels above the lousy standard DVD release, nice saturated colors and the sharpness is pretty good, too, without the grain DNR-ed out. The soundtrack seems full and rich on my system. I guess it could be better, but I was more than satisfied with it. It would be fun to see KINGS OF THE SUN with the Bernstein score or SOLOMON AND SHEBA and THE VIKINGS with the Nascimbene scores. These have never had a BD release anywhere in the world.
I'd like to see Twilight Time tap into Mario Nascimbene's work, like Solomon and Sheba, The Vikings, Sons and Lovers, and perhaps Esther and the King (even though the last two titles will never make it to high def I'm certain).
Oh and thanks for the info on the Australian BD, Ed. I'll definitely import that once I get a region free player, which hopefully will be soon.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Steve -- when I think of the late 60s and the swinging London/Burt Bacharach era of movies and music, Peter Sellers is one of the towering figures of that period -- your list of music from his movies above brought back loads of great memories.

Oh and Twilight Time, with your connections to Columbia -- how about Ralph Nelson's "Flight of the Doves" (1971) starring Ron Moody, Jack Wild, Dorothy McGuire, Stanley Holloway and William Rushton, with a sensational music score by Roy Budd (just after "Get Carter") A hilarious family movie, filmed in Ireland, and a time capsule of sorts - the last days of 'shamrock sentimentality' before The Troubles destroyed it forever later that year.

The country never looked better (photographed by Harry Stradling) and featuring songs like "You Don't Have To Be Irish To Be Irish" -- I'm still amazed this song is little known to this day, even on St. Patrick's Day, which is staged beautifully in this movie, filmed on the streets of Dublin.

An interview with Ron Moody (thankfully still with us) would be ideal for this release as he plays seven roles in this picture -- even though it is merely dvd-r status through Sony at the moment, a region free bluray would sell through the roof when sold to fans of the movie in the UK and Ireland as well as the rest of the world.

Also while you're at it -- "The Comic" (1969), just released in recent weeks on dvd, must come out on bluray, with a commentary track with both director Carl Reiner and star Dick Van Dyke. Both have said on occasion they'd be willing to do this, plus the fact that Carl Reiner has 30-45 minutes worth of filmed routines featuring Dick and the cast not included in the movie -- also a making-of featurette was made in conjunction with the release of the movie in theatres, owned by collectors, but should also be included with such a Twilight Time bluray release (and make that region free too, while you're at it)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks