Your Twilight Time/MGM wishlist?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Didier R, Jun 21, 2013.

1. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    The Australian Taras Bulba BD is mono, although is certainly seems like the MGM DVD was in stereo, as I recall. I don't have it anymore, I gave it away after I got the BD.

2. Stefan Andersson

Stefan Andersson Second Unit

+1 for Bound for Glory.

Hound of the Baskervilles, 1959

Flight of the Phoenix, 1965

633 Squadron

Duel at Diablo

Hour of the Gun

davidHartzog likes this.
  3. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Supporting Actor

Edmund Lachmann
    What's sad about them neglecting ESTHER AND THE KING is that a recent very nice looking German DVD was released and indicates that a really lovely print does exist of the film. SONS AND LOVERS would be wonderful, too, as would FRANCIS OF ASSISI, which after a recent viewing I've come to really appreciate. Take a look at one of the region free Oppo BD players, I have one and just love it. There are several ebay companies who specialize in them.

4. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

AFAIK, the DVD was also mono. But I've never owned it, so I can't confirm.
    Any domestic BD of Esther and the King could be struck from that master, if it is an HD scan. Nick Redman and his team would also have to dig through the Fox vaults to find the music tracks on any of the three aforementioned titles, since AFAIK the scores have never made it to CD. The reason I'm doubtful of any release of Sons and Lovers by TT is because Fox released a MOD disc of it. Even though it is (I believe) in anamorphic widescreen, an HD release of this Jack Cardiff film would be welcome.

5. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

One instantly comes to mind- a cult classic, but a personal favorite: Lord Love a Duck. That's my #1 choice

6. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Reviews say stereo from a mono track. Amazon says stereo also.

7. davidHartzog

davidHartzog Cinematographer
    Supporter

John smith
    Marlowe

8. donidarko

donidarko Stunt Coordinator

Shampoo (1975, Columbia)Coming Home (1978, UA)Foxes (1980, UA)The Killing of Sister George (1969, UA)Semi-Tough (1977, UA)An Unmarried Woman (1978, 20th Fox)Harry & Tonto (1974, 20th Fox)Interiors (1978, UA)Hardcore (1979, Columbia)Only When I Laugh (1981, Columbia)Modern Romance (1981, Columbia)9 To 5 (1980, 20th Fox)

9. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

I second HARDCORE, and will add OBSESSION (Brian De Palma).

10. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Obsession is available region free from Arrow in the UK

11. davidHartzog

davidHartzog Cinematographer
    Supporter

John smith
    The Obsession BD from Arrow looks great, and there are numerous extras, inc. a copy of the shooting script. Expensive, but worth the $.

12. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

True, but the Arrow disc doesn't present Bernard Hermann's great score on an isolated audio track. That is what I would like from Twilight Time, a domestic Blu-ray with Herrmann's score isolated.

13. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    Ah, but does the isolated music track still exist? I can't help but think that if it did it would have been released on CD by now. Maybe the album tracks are all that's left.

14. Mark Pytel

Mark Pytel Second Unit

Mark Pytel
    I second that Hound of the Baskervilles needs to come out! Also really want a blu of Crichton's Great Train Robbery and Sean Connery's Meteor. All of these had shoddy non-anamorphic releases and need a proper release.
    Also really want Race for the Yankee Zephyr which has never been released in the USA but an HD print has shown on MGM HD in beautiful scope!
    Convoy..also never properly released and shown in HD on MGM HD and Netflix.
    The Killer Elite..while has a good French Bluray..I'd much rather get a USA release so that more can enjoy it.
    Anything John Frankenheimer..so really want The Train, Birdman of Alcatraz. Also would want Holcroft Covenant, but I have yet to see it in 16:9 or HD anywhere so I'm assuming a new master does not exist.
    My Dream titles are Hallelujah Trail in 2:76 ratio and Alamo Roadshow cut but I know that Hallelujah and Alamo have yet to be restored sadly.
    Lots of Stanley Kramer such as On the Beach, inherit the Wind, The Defiant Ones, and Judgement and Nuermburg all need better releases.
    Mr. Mom is a guilty pleasure that has never had 16;9 in USA but has been on MGM HD.
    For Blaxploitation I'd love to get I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, Coffy, Cotton Comes to Harlem, and Hammer. These have all been shown in HD on MGM HD.
    Fuzz and Gator for as I am a huge Burt fan and Gator is a scophttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/324582-your-twilight-timemgm-wishlist/page-16e movie that was never released properly here in USA. needs a region 1 release!
    Yours Mine and Ours is a great comedy that has never gotten dvd respect..here in the usa. Has a proper HD master shown on MGM HD.
    Audrey Rose
    And finally for my Chuck Norris guilty pleasures...An Eye for an Eye and Delta Force 2 have never been widescreen in USA and both have widescreen masters on other region dvd's and have been shown in HD.

I know I listed a ton of titles, but I would honestly purchase all of them as the past dvd releases left a lot to be desired. I say if the new master exists and is just sitting there...why NOT release it. This is what Twilight Time does best. Look at the wonderful Egyptian release. Fox had TWO masters just waiting to be used. I have most of Twilight's releases and am more than excited for what lies ahead. With all of the wonderful releases coming from all the various companies including Twilight it truly is a great time to be a classic film lover!
    Sayonara
    A Pocket Full of Miracles and Hole in the Head for Frank Capra scope films. Those had shoddy 4x3 widescreen dvd's and need something better!

davidHartzog and BPullen like this.
  15. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    The old Pioneer Special Edition laserdisc had an isolated score track, so yes it does exist.

16. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    I would LOVE a blu of Yours Mine and Ours. Hell, I'd even take a decent anamorphic dvd.

17. Al Schweiger

Al Schweiger Auditioning

I'd love to have "Porgy and Bess"

AnthonyClarke likes this.