What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (12 Viewers)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have 16mm prints of both THE SIN OF HAROLD DIDDLEBOCK (original release - the one TCM showed) and MAD WEDNESDAY (1950 tightened reissue). I did a side-by-side comparison of the two and uploaded it to Vimeo. Note the new footage of the singing horse created for the finale of MAD WEDNESDAY.

Thanks for the video and the Mad Wednesday print looks much better and love that ending of the horse singing.

Corn Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Watched The Road to Shame (Des Femmes Disparaissent 1959), first viewing of this very good noirish French drama. KL have provided an excellent transfer for the blu ray, and a good (if a bit dry) commentary.
I’ve purchased quite a few French language Kino-Lorber discs from the 1950s-1990s and the reason I purchased them were the included audio commentary tracks.

jsmiller60

Auditioning
Same. The cover has me intrigued, but I've never heard of the film or of any of the names attached to it.

Kino has released so many titles over the years, I'd imagine their selections are becoming somewhat limited based on what's left in the libraries of the studios that are willing to license to them. Kino does not have the freedom to simply select any titles they want, from any studio.
One final thought as I don't want to run afoul of the strict parameters of this thread, but I think it has less to do with what is available to Kino or other boutique labels. Robert hit it on the head as these types of genre films are what sells. You only have to look at the once venerable Eureka's June release slate to see where things are heading. Yes, we are all happy about The Cat and the Canary but this appears to be the exception rather than the rule. I mean there is a British label that recently expanded into North America whose entire slate seems to be Japanese exploitation films. And don't misunderstand me. I have some of these films in my collection and enjoy them, but I fear they may succeed in crowding out what many on this forum, including myself, deem to be more desirable releases.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
One final thought as I don't want to run afoul of the strict parameters of this thread, but I think it has less to do with what is available to Kino or other boutique labels. Robert hit it on the head as these types of genre films are what sells. You only have to look at the once venerable Eureka's June release slate to see where things are heading. Yes, we are all happy about The Cat and the Canary but this appears to be the exception rather than the rule. I mean there is a British label that recently expanded into North America whose entire slate seems to be Japanese exploitation films. And don't misunderstand me. I have some of these films in my collection and enjoy them, but I fear they may succeed in crowding out what many on this forum, including myself, deem to be more desirable releases.
It is starting to appear that there won't be a new deal with Universal this year. It is already late March and no word yet. Perhaps someone on here has some update. There are still some classic titles due soon that were announced last year that I am interested, but most of the recently announced ones seem to be post 1970 and beyond. I am glad that Kino has a deal with Paramount as there are some good films from the post 1949 era that are out or coming out soon.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
It is starting to appear that there won't be a new deal with Universal this year. It is already late March and no word yet. Perhaps someone on here has some update. There are still some classic titles due soon that were announced last year that I am interested, but most of the recently announced ones seem to be post 1970 and beyond. I am glad that Kino has a deal with Paramount as there are some good films from the post 1949 era that are out or coming out soon.
I’m still holding out hope they can secure Universal right’s to John Wayne’s “The Conqueror”. Widescreen and in stereo, I’d be on cloud nine

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert hit it on the head as these types of genre films are what sells. You only have to look at the once venerable Eureka's June release slate to see where things are heading. Yes, we are all happy about The Cat and the Canary but this appears to be the exception rather than the rule.
I agree with this. I receive regular emails from Eureka - the latest arrived two hours ago - but I haven't found any of them interesting for several months. A great pity.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Someone in the other thread said that many films in the Paramount license were former Olive releases. One film I'd like to see is John Ford's The Sun Shines Bright. Olive released it, but it apparently has since been restored by UCLA. The restored version was released In Britain but not here. It's a wonderful film and Ford named it as his favorite of his works.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
The KLSC MARCH MADNESS SPRING SALE Starts NOW! (Over 700 Titles)
https://kinolorber.com/collection/march-madness-sale-2024

• Free USA Shipping: Orders of $50 or More!
KLSC MM SPRING SALE Ends: Monday, April 22nd!

Spring Sale 2024_1.jpg

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
That might indicate that both films are ready for Blu-ray releases.
I contacted Criterion about Hail The Conquering Hero (as well as Winchester 73). They replied they have no plans anytime soon to release these on Blu Ray, however they're available on their streaming service. Not good news for those like me who prefer a release on Blu instead. I know if Kino had acquired the rights, they would have already put these out I am sure.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
I contacted Criterion about Hail The Conquering Hero (as well as Winchester 73). They replied they have no plans anytime soon to release these on Blu Ray, however they're available on their streaming service. Not good news for those like me who prefer a release on Blu instead. I know if Kino had acquired the rights, they would have already put these out I am sure.
Thanks so much for your efforts, Tim!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks