What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I just wanted to go on record to say that Kino would be my first choice to release these (though I said it was good news that Criterion was going to do Hail...)
Criterion takes way too long to release anything they acquire rights to and just a few each month. Anyway, I prefer Kino for classic releases. The transfers are really good and the artwork on the cases look great. They are constantly putting outstanding titles out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watching Lucy Gallant in a stunning , clearly restored Vistavision print tonight on TCM…..it must in the pipeline for a blu ray release.
We can only hope that is true about it being in the pipeline. It was shocking watching Lucy Gallant look so good on my OLED. My last viewing of that movie was back in the early days of streaming when Amazon had a faded SD digital in 1.33 ratio that kept on buffering throughout the entirety of the stream.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
We can only hope that is true about it being in the pipeline. It was shocking watching Lucy Gallant look so good on my OLED. My last viewing of that movie was back in the early days of streaming when Amazon had a faded SD digital in 1.33 ratio that kept on buffering throughout the entirety of the stream.
Good film. How could it not be with Claire Trevor and Thelma Ritter in the cast? Remove a star or two due to the copout ending. I wonder if the novel ended the same way...

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
After watching the opening scene of “Kiss the Blood off My Hands” on the Criterion channel, the great cinematography of Russel Metty prompted me to order the Kino disc. So glad I did. Excellent commentary by Jeremy Arnold - someone new to me. Hope to hear more by him. Well done Kino!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Lucy Gallant this afternoon, too, and you folks are right: it looks smashing (that fashion show climax really showed off those Edith Head creations to their best advantage). Ready for a disc release for sure. But that 1950's mentality about women's roles in society is really eye-rolling.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
From the two preceding Universal wishlists I'd enthusiastically second the choice of "Ivy", starring Joan Fontaine as an Edwardian fashion-plate who dabbles in murder. It's on both lists.
Additionally, I'd be completely up for the also mentioned Frank Sinatra musical noir "Meet Danny Wilson. Shelley Winters is the gal on hand here and Raymond Burr does first-rate heavy duties,
And - like member Justin Ray - I wish the legal issues surrounding the spy comedy "A Man Could Get Killed" could be resolved. Star Melina Mercouri's in amusingly irresistible come-hither mode in this one. And the film also has an excellent soundtrack by Bert Kaempfert. whose mellow instrumental albums sold by the truckload during the 60's. For "A Man Could Get Killed" he composed a particularly beautiful melody which - when it was shortly afterwards given lyrics - became the wonderful worldwide Sinatra hit "Strangers in the Night".
Bert had a great German swing band and let us at about 56 years old.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Paramount owns THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK (due to remake) and EMKA/MCA Universal owns HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO. Universal also acquired the rights to MAD WEDNESDAY when they picked up the Howard Hughes library.
I liked Mad Wednesday and did enjoy Harold Lloyd’s funny performance and hope Kino might get the rights to release it on disc. My only copy of the film I have is a disc recording from a TCM broadcast and the print shown was in bad condition.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
I'm curious as to what happened to the audio track on "The Lion In Winter"?

Where's the bass?

I have an older release and the difference in the title music is night and day.
The lowest octaves are totally missing on the new release.
It almost sounds as if someone forgot to apply the proper EQ when harvesting the audio from the original mag masters.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Bert had a great German swing band and let us at about 56 years old.
Decca in Europe have just released a large box set of all of Bert’s Decca albums. It’s getting good reviews at Amazon.
Bert is the one incidentally who turned down the Beatles after their Decca audition!

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
I liked Mad Wednesday and did enjoy Harold Lloyd’s funny performance and hope Kino might get the rights to release it on disc. My only copy of the film I have is a disc recording from a TCM broadcast and the print shown was in bad condition.

I have 16mm prints of both THE SIN OF HAROLD DIDDLEBOCK (original release - the one TCM showed) and MAD WEDNESDAY (1950 tightened reissue). I did a side-by-side comparison of the two and uploaded it to Vimeo. Note the new footage of the singing horse created for the finale of MAD WEDNESDAY.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Decca in Europe have just released a large box set of all of Bert’s Decca albums. It’s getting good reviews at Amazon.
Bert is the one incidentally who turned down the Beatles after their Decca audition!
I knew about the Beatles Decca. I worked for Decca in 1971. EMI & Decca used to cross distribute each others products around UK for a time.

Corn Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Would there ever be a chance of Kino-Lorber releasing the 1960 Otto Preminger film “Exodus” on blu-ray or 4K UHD? I think it’s an underrated film. I would love to see it with an audio commentary track and some special features. I know that Twilight Time released it on blu-ray back in 2016.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks