What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (11 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Off-topic I know (at least in the case of EL CID), but does the Insider or anyone else know why Anchor Bay/Pinewood were able to put out great Blu-Rays of Bronston's CIRCUS WORLD and 55 DAYS AT PEKING in 2014, and stopped there. I would have thought that EL CID and THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE would have been better sellers than those two. Was it a rights issue? Poor sales? Weinstein changing his mind? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Those were British releases. Different licensing. And, by the way, El Cid and The Fall of the Roman Empire were released by Anchor Bay in the UK in 2011.

In the US, El Cid and The Fall of the Roman Empire were released back in 2008 on DVD by the Weinstein-owned label The Miriam Collection. There were only 10 titles that I know of released under that label, with no other Bronston productions among them.

El Cid.jpg
Fall of the Roman Empire.jpg
El Cid MC.jpg
Fall of the Roman Empire MC.jpg

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Off-topic I know (at least in the case of EL CID), but does the Insider or anyone else know why Anchor Bay/Pinewood were able to put out great Blu-Rays of Bronston's CIRCUS WORLD and 55 DAYS AT PEKING in 2014, and stopped there. I would have thought that EL CID and THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE would have been better sellers than those two. Was it a rights issue? Poor sales? Weinstein changing his mind? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

We've asked for both, we've heard HAIL is with Criterion and MIRACLE was to be released by the studio.
Interesting. HAIL is the quieter and more melancholy of the two. Makes sense for Criterion. That's good news. Thank you for sharing it.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Well that’s interesting. No wonder there haven’t been any US Blu-ray releases!
And he will be there for many years. I am not sure his heirs want anything to do w his legacy either. The rights will be auctioned eventually to pay legal bills etc. (if they haven't already...)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
We've asked for both, we've heard HAIL is with Criterion and MIRACLE was to be released by the studio.
Thank you, Insider for the update. Who knows how long Criterion will take to release it. I still think Kino is the best for classic releases. I've been happy with all the great titles you have released.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Most of the Regal titles are with Paramount, through Republic Pictures.

Fox still owns some (GANG WAR, etc.) and KRONOS is infamously owned the Wade Williams estate.
Damn, I wish we could wrest those WW titles from the estate. Is there any recent scuttlebutt about them, post-Wade?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m watching Lucy Gallant (1955) on TCM. Just as charming and entertaining as I remember. Any chance of seeing this released on home video through your deal with Paramount?
Also, in widescreen. I love this VistaVision movie. I wish Kino would release it on Blu-ray.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Well that’s interesting. No wonder there haven’t been any US Blu-ray releases!

Indeed. One other title outside of the Bronston epics I have to wonder about as to whether or not it’s also in this perpetuity aspect is The Thief and the Cobbler, which was released through Miramax in the US in a horribly butchered cut.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I like Jane Wyman a lot. There is a terrific interview with her on youtube. It might be one of those none Robert Osborne TCM interviews. Also there is on youtube a short interview with a fan at some comiccon with Tommy Kirk. He starred with Wyman in Bon Voyage. He used the B word in describing her. Now I'm a big fan of Kirk's but it sounds like he destroyed his career with to put it kindly unprofessional behavior. Disney did not even include his picture on the dvd or bluray with the rest of the family on Swiss Family Robinson and he was one of the drawing cards along with James MacArthur of that movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks