What's new

Directors Your Favorite Baseball Movie? (1 Viewer)

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor
1. Bull Durham
2. Major League (almost entire script can be quoted during an actual game)
3. Eight Men Out
4. The Natural
Honorable Mention: Bang the Drum Slowly (not really about baseball)
Field of Dreams ... aaagh :thumbsdown:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Untouchables :D
I'd say it's a tossup between The Pride of the Yankees and Eight Men Out.

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
1. The Bad News Bears
2. The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training
3. Major League
4. The Natural
5. The Sandlot

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Top Five:
1. The Natural -- This movie has all the elements we want in baseball. What kid doesn't wouldn't want to be a power pitcher who can strikeout the Whammer in three pitches and still be able to hit towering homers off the scoreboard? This movie has so many layers to it that I still pick up something new whenever I see it.
2. The Stratton Story -- James Stewart and June Allyson. Man, I love this movie. It's the true story of Monty Stratton who pitched for the White Sox in the 30's. He lost his leg in a farming accident and made a comeback. I still remember the scene where the other team laid down a bunt because they thought Monty couldn't cover it on a wooden leg.
3. Little Big League -- I was impressed by this movie's baseball smarts. That kid seemed so saavy that I was sold on the premise on him as manager. Plus I love the line where Billy's friend tells him that he's too busy to talk to him because he's sitting on the head of another kid.
4. Bad News Bears -- You were really pulling for these kids to win. This movie spawned so many knock-offs it should be it's own genre.
5. Bull Durham -- Hard choice between the two Kevin Costner movies. Chose this one because it is more about baseball and I saw it more recently.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
1. Eight Men Out - Am I crazy for thinking that, with the right handling, a remake could be the greatest gangster epic ever filmed?
2. The Pride of the Yankees - The baseball is weak, but Gary Cooper's portrayal of Lou Gehrig the man carries the day.
3. Field of Dreams - Chiefly memorable, IMO, for a final, great performance by Burt Lancaster.
4. The Bad News Bears - Who couldn't like a movie which made prepubescent foul-mouthedness fashionable?
5. The Natural - Nicely photographed and well-acted, but a rather empty experience.
I'm hard pressed to think of any other baseball movies which are worthy of consideration.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
1. Bull Durham

2. Eight Men Out

3. A League of Their Own

4. Major League

5. Fear Strikes Out

Honorable Mention: The Natural, Bad News Bears, The Sandlot, Rookie of The Year ("Did he just say: 'Funky Butt-lovin'?")

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
1. Field of Dreams

2. The Natural

3. The Sandlot

4. Bull Durham

5. Eight Men Out

6. Bang the Drum Slowly

7. Major League

8. The Rookie

9. Alibi Ike - great 1935 comedy starring Joe E. Brown

10. Pride of the Yankees

Bobbi*L

Agent
Long Gone

Angels in the Outfield

League of Our Own

Pride of the Yankees

Documentaries:

This Old Cub

Beyond the Ivy: Wrigley Field

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks