What's new

Yosemite and tire chains/cables...need some advice (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I'm going to be out in Yosemite in a few weeks and I'm going to need to get some tire chains or cables to comply with the state and federal requirements both in the park and outside. Given that I'll only be using these things for a few days, it seems an annoyance to buy a pair just for one winter trip. Does anyone know if there are places near the park that rent chains or cables? If not, I guess I'll buy a pair and sell them on eBay or Craigslist when I'm done.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
On a related note, what kind of vehicle will you have to go, most non-trucks will not have clearance for true tire "chains".

I have a set of Tire Cable-chains for my Subaru Outback.. Though so far, I have yet to actually use them other than a test fit.

There is some kind of "sock" that is made by some scandinavian company that is a lot faster and easier to use than cables or chains but they are disposable after a bit and expensive. I forget the product name but I've heard of them in my travels.

Jay

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Been there, down that 10 years ago and cable chains are living in my attic somewhere - used once. But it was worth every penny. I had to put them on my Plymouth Voyager mini van and they worked like a charm - we went up Easter time and it was snowing like crazy. Followed a snow plow in and the banks on the side of the road were probably close to 6 ft. We started out going into Sequoia and General Sherman - with these gigantic snowflakes coming down in buckets...it was....other-wordly.

At that time, at least, the only option was to buy.

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
Went a couple of years ago in the winter. While it didn't really snow while we were there - we did want to be careful.

Bought some from a convenience store close to the park - I think we paid $40.00. As I recall there were no refunds and no rentals. They know they've got you.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Originally Posted by Jim Mcc

But I would not go at this time of year.
Glad I didn't take this part of your advice, Jim. Just spent a couple days there and loved it. Never bought the tire chains or cables as neither Routes 140 or 41 had chain restrictions the day we arrived. However, the first night we tried to return to our hotel in Cedar Valley, it started to snow in the higher elevations and we ran into stopped traffic on 41 about three miles west of the tunnel. I walked up near the front and was told that cars without chains were not getting enough traction to make it further up the mountain. As I returned to the car, a park ranger showed up on the scene and I asked what I should do without chains or cables. He told me to drive back down to the valley (very carefully) and take the longer route back via Rte 140. The next morning Rte 41 had an R2 chain restriction in place so we just used 140 for ingress and egress to/from the park for the rest of our stay.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Glad you had a great time. I've only driven by Yosemite, after having climbed Mt Whitney a few years ago, we were on such a tight schedule as we were headed to climb mt Shasta next, we kind of wizzed by Reno, NV to drop off a friend, and then wizzing by Lake Tahoe/Yosemite on our way to northern CA. If you have pictures that you don't mind to share, post 'em!

probably didn't waste too much time, I've found that unless you do this often, putting cables/chains onto 4 tires takes a bit of time as there always a bit of fussing going on, and obviously, you can't be going too fast with them on anyway.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks