What's new

XenForo 2 New Features (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I wanted to summarize a few nice features of XF2. One of these is far better handling of media. For example, let me post a youtube video below:

Note that it atuomatically embeds the media BBCode, and lets you keep watching the video as you scroll.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, you can click the little box that appears near the lower right orner of the video and open a separate window to watch the video and still be able to surf the forum, I guess.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
That's correct, you can now watch the media as a PiP experience while you continue to browse. It also supports that for a massively larger number of platforms now, not just YouTube. As an example, here's a Spotify embed:

And here is a Twitch link:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Another cool feature is that you can now do full featured editing without having to click More Options and load a new page:

Enhanced message editing

Rather than opening an overlay, editing messages is now done entirely in-place, with the content of messages replaced by a full-fledged message editor that allows the complete range of editing and posting actions, including attachment management.

1587503046035.png

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Another minor but fun feature we've added is member tool tips and cover photos. Click on a Member's name once, and you'll get their tooltip, a second click will take you to their profile page. Both can have a cover image assigned (Premium members get to change these to custom images).

Tooltip:

1587503129209.png

Profile Page:

1587503154948.png

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Quick thread

Quick Thread is a brand new system for XF2. Above the list of threads on a forum page you will find a title entry box. Focusing this box and starting to type a thread title will load a quick message editor, in which you can post the content for the first post of your new thread. Hitting the save button will then post the thread, leaving you on the forum page rather than redirecting you to the thread page. This makes the process of creating a new simple thread extremely quick and easy.

1587503293267.png

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Another minor but fun feature we've added is member tool tips and cover photos. Click on a Member's name once, and you'll get their tooltip, a second click will take you to their profile page. Both can have a cover image assigned (Premium members get to change these to custom images)

I added a "Cover" Image! :thumbsup: :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Is it possible to get back the automatic menu drop down with "mouse hover"? Other than still heading for "Tools" most of the time to mark a forum "read" (and that's nothing more than habit... I'll get there eventually) that's the thing that bugs me most.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Is it possible to get back the automatic menu drop down with "mouse hover"? Other than still heading for "Tools" most of the time to mark a forum "read" (and that's nothing more than habit... I'll get there eventually) that's the thing that bugs me most.
Unfortunately this is the one thing I've been unable to fix. Hover is notoriously unfriendly to mobile devices, so it's going away on many platforms. I'm continuing to research, but please don't hold out too much hope. The developers of XenForo killed this intentionally in version 2.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
A new feature many have probably seen already, but some likely haven't is reactions. On XenForo 1, you could like a post. On XenForo 2, you can react with a variety of options, giving you choices that are more appropriate based upon context. To react to a post simply click over over like and click on the reaction of your choice. The choices are

Like, Dislike, Love, Insightful, Agreed, Appreciate and Haha
1587994717424.png

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Unfortunately this is the one thing I've been unable to fix. Hover is notoriously unfriendly to mobile devices, so it's going away on many platforms. I'm continuing to research, but please don't hold out too much hope. The developers of XenForo killed this intentionally in version 2.
No problem... it's not that bad but the thing I miss most because it requires more clicks to accomplish the same thing. Like marking forums "read" it'll come in time. :)

**EDIT**
Just like the "docking" tool bar... still haven't gotten use to that either. I find myself scrolling or using the "up arrow" to go to the top of a page to get to the toolbar... when it's *right there*!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks