What's new

X Files Season Sets: Worth an Investment? (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think they were so expensive when they first came out ($150 MSRP) because it was the first (as far as I know) DVD TV season set to be released.

After more and more series came out and were cheaper and cheaper, they stayed high because Fox knew that they could make the extra money. In all fairness, the MSRP on all nine seasons is $100 now and no one actually pays the MSRP anymore:)

Patrick, you can rationalize spending more than $50 on a TV DVD set this way. You get about 24 episodes per set and say it's $80, that's less than $4 an hour/episode. You pay more than $8 for a two hour movie. At least, that's how I justify it to myself on the pricey ones.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Good point Travis. I actually really wouldn't really have a problem justifying it...just affording it. :frowning:

This is also true, although I was a bit miffed at the reports that a couple from seasons 2 & 5 mysteriously lost their "specialized" taglines in the credits, winding up with the standard "the truth is out there" instead. That's hardly a deal-breaker, though. (But if they'd lost "deceive, inveigle, obfuscate," that would be another story! Always been my favorite...)

Sue_New

Stunt Coordinator
Great thread!

I'm glad the original poster had the opportunity to see the entire series. It's my favorite.

I started to rent the show on Netflix (never saw it while it was on television) for all of season 1 and part of season 2 before I decided I had to buy the series. I purchased all of mine on Half.com for an average price of $35/set. They all came in perfect shape. Not a bad disc among them. I had seen Season 1 DVDs at Best Buy for $98!!!! Crazy!

Yay X-Files! Yay X-Philes! :)

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan

It was completely worth my time and investment. The X-Files was a riveting series that drew upon many different levels of human emotion.

Fine storytelling by the creator, writers, and actors.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'd have to say no right now but I have a feeling Fox will eventually lower the price on these. I liked the Standalone eps the best becasue mostly the Mythology or the Arch went nowhere. Unlike JMS and B5 , Carter never planned these things out in advance and it shows the myth eps are all over the map, try to follow it.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I might as well but generally I liked the non Arc episodes the best I would'nt mind a greatest hits release of those. My Stance has always been make the season sets available first then a greatest hits package after.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Fox will correct the wrong taglines from a few of the episodes or bring back the 'Previously On The X-Files' intros on the new conspiracy-themed DVD. The tagline changed from 'The Truth Is Out There' to another cryptic phrase on some of the mythology episodes. For some reason, Fox didn't always include that changed tagline on the season sets.

I probably won't buy it either way but if they fix the taglines or add the previously ons, some people are gonna be... less than happy.

It'll be cool release for the casual fan though.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

There is one episode on the season 1 set where the tagline is I WANT TO BELIEVE...I think it's the third episode.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I just managed to get all nine seasons for about $300. That's about the most I was willing to pay too. When you look at it though, your getting over 6 days of entertainment out of it, which nobody would be able to watch in sitting, so really even $500 would be fair. If FOX would just lower the MSRP to around $75 these things would fly off the shelves.

Patrick H.

Second Unit

According to the sticky thread on show alterations, the tagline goof didn't effect a lot of episodes. I think one from season 2 and two from season 5. Wouldn't even be noticable to the first-time viewer except, apparently, the "specialized" taglines still appear in the chapter selection menu (doh!).

Apparently the conspirators at Fox didn't quite cover the tracks of their treachery. ;)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i just ordered season one from amazon tonight, for $35 along with The Wire, season two. i was shocked when i was browsing around the other day and saw this for $35 at Target. is this a sign that the other seasons will eventually seel this cheap as well, or just trying to move older product?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think Fox sells alot (maybe all of them) of their first seasons of TV shows cheap so you can get the first part of the series at a good price. Then you're hooked and you want to buy the rest of the seasons at a higher price:)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
DVD or TIVO is the way to go if you are really into a series. My wife and I only watch about one X-files episode a week, but it's nice to be able to watch at our pace and not the TV schedule's.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I got the Japanese versions (along with DS9) on Ebay for a fraction of the price. They are not bootlegs and the only thing that is different are the cover. I think I spent about 120.00 for about 6 seasons.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I was in Best Buy again yesterday and noticed that Fox's "Season 1" promotion has apparently ended. The rack of various shows (X-Files included) was still there, but the "50% off" tag was gone. Ditto for the sale at Amazon. The thing's back up to the $70-80 range. To quote Napoleon Dynamite, "DANG!"

RobertW

Supporting Actor
looks like i got in just in time then.

hopefully in a month or two, they'll do the same thing with season two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks