What's new

(X-Box Reliability) Where to buy? (1 Viewer)

TimG

Second Unit
Ok, getting ready to buy an X-Box and I have a question on the reliability of them. Do I need to worry about an extended warranty on it? Have there been many problems with them breaking down after a while? Just curious whether I can buy one anywhere, or if I need to get one at CC or BB and get the warranty. Thanks.

TimG

Ben_Hud

Stunt Coordinator
I used to work at Gamestop a computergame store, I have played all the consoles that have came out through the years, and the Xbox is a hause. Its the most solid console to me build in years, I never had a console returned due to failure of components. I don't think you need an extended warrenty but i forget the exact warranty that comes with it. I know in gamestop and i think EB, if a console messes up you can bring it in and they replace it for free automatically no questions asked, im not sure if the policy is still in effect or not might wanna chec. I take mine around all the time to friends houses for lan gaming, i got a Xbox backpack with it to protect it when I moved it more than from room to room, that was my warrenty. But do what ya want, i wouldn't want to be the one to say absolutly don't buy the warranty, and you end up needing it.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I bought my Xbox from EBgames and bought warranties. Those consoles are fragile and I've been burned once. That's enough for me.
-Sndre

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't even worry about it. I saw a guy come into EB and exchange his XBox (which he purchased used) and the guy swapped it out for a new one without hassle. If you do choose to purchase a warranty, I would avoid purchasing a Best Buy warranty- they are not worth the hassle (unless you actually like returning the same product THREE TIMES and having them keep it for weeks or months at a time). For a product that is only $200.00, I wouldn't even worry about it.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
When I purchased my Xbox from EB, I was going to purchase their extended warranty, but the guy told me they replaced it with a refurbished Xbox, not a brand new one, so I passed on it and got the one from Microsoft. Odds are you will not ever use it, but better to pay $50 now instead of $100+ later.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
actually...the warranty from best buy isnt a service warranty. They replace the system outright. So if you pay 200 for the sys now, then a year and half from now you need a new one, call the number on the brochure and after you send the console(at their expense too!) they send you a voucher for the cost you paid, like 200! Then you have 200 to buy a newer console, regardless of price.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Sean is right. Also, here is another use of the Best Buy 2 year plan. Let's say you bought the Xbox for $300 at launchtime. All you have to do is call the number on the brochure and they'll send you a prepaid box to ship back the Xbox. They will send you a gift voucher for $300 plus tax, which you can spend any way that you want! You can pick up another Xbox at $200, get the two free Sega games, and have $100 left over! Oh, and its pretty handy if your Xbox takes a dump.

Anthony.Lin

Stunt Coordinator
I have a lot of friends that own xboxes, and we've NEVER had any problems with them. I bought mine the week it came out, and it's never had a problem, and I move it very very regularly... at least once every other week it's taken over to my friend's house to play 4v4 halo or the like~

Damien

Supporting Actor
They don't make the consoles as sturdy as they used to(my SNES that I got on launch is still cooking with no errors etc...). Even though my console hasn't outright died, with certain games like ghost recon is constantly giving me dirty disc errors. Basically if you buy refurbed or used, you may get one of the launch time consoles and have a higher chance of problems. if you buy the bundle new(who wouldn't with the games), then you might be safe going the first year or so without a warranty.

TimG

Second Unit
Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like I will probably go with a warranty on this one. (Got burned with a Pana RV31 a while back) One other question, anyone know what the coupon book is that Best Buy is giving away with an x-box purchase?

TimG

Ken Ingram

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah its a coupon book that gives you $5.00 off selected Games and $3.00 off cables and controlers .

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
I would say get the extended warranty. I'm an X-Box newbie and love the system but I've been getting DDE's ( dirty disc errors) and the unit is barely a month out of the box. It has been brought to my attention through forums like this that X-box's manufactured before August 8th, 2002 have a high potential for dvd drive failure/malfunction. This causes the DDE's to occur and they cause game freeze-up and skipping. Very annoying problem. My box is to be sent in this week under warranty to have the dvd drive swapped out hopefully. Just my $.02 .

Steve

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Ken,
As I'm sure you read in the other post regarding warranty, my X-Box was made in July 2002.

Cheers,

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks