What's new

Wiring up my new setup (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey N

Grip
I have read a lot of posts on this forum, but nothing seemed to relate directly to the questions I have about my first home theater setup.

I have the following equipment:

Sony STRDA1ES A/V receiver
Polk Audio RM6200 5.1 speaker set with PSW-250 subwoofer
Sony DVP-NS315 DVD player
Sony 35" Trinitron TV (not certain of model number, about 3-4 years old at most. Came with the house I live in - long story :)
Motorola Digital cable box (I subscribe to Insight Digital Cable if that makes any difference)

My questions pertain to how to cable / hook-up these components:

1) Is the optical cable or digital coax cable from the DVD to the receiver recommended?

2) I believe that both the cable box and the TV have S-video capability/connectors. Do you recommend that I use this type of cable instead of the RCA 3-plug cables? Would it be redundant to use both or will S-video not send audio signals?

3) How should I connect these components together? I think the DVD must be connected to the receiver so I can get the 5.1 surround modes. Should I connect the video out from the receiver directly to the TV and connect the outputs for sound/video from the cable box into the receiver?

4) I'm not sure that I want to know this, but any comments on the equipment I've chosen for my low budget setup? :D

I am sure that I will have other questions, but these are in the forefront of my mind now.

Thanks in advance for your answers/recommendations.

JeffPh

Agent
I'm still relatively new to this also, but I just went through this and I'll tell you what I learned.

1. I believe the optical cable will give you the best quality from your DVD for sound, but you'll need the video to run through a different cable.
2.I don't know anything about S cables, so I can't say for sure on this one.
3. Yes, the DVD should go directly to the receiver. As far as the cable, I ran into the VCR, then the TV with coax. I then put audio outs from the VCR and TV to the receiver, along with the video out from receiver to TV. This allow me to watch TV or VCR without the receiver on, if I choose. And I'm also able to have surround sound for the TV and VCR, if I choose to go through the receiver. It allows for simple TV operation (for the wife), or gives me the ability to watch ESPN in surround (why wouldn't ya?).
4. As far as your components...I can't say because I don't know enough about that yet. What I will say is, "you gotta crawl before you can walk"...meaning, better to have "okay" surround sound that fits your budget, than nothing at all.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
1) Use either optical or coax. Coax can be cheaper, more durable. No sonic difference between the two, IMHO.

2) Use the S-video connections for the video, the RCA connections for the audio.

3) connecting directly to the TV gives you less expense and less connections (fewer cables). Connecting to the receiver and receiver to TV gives you the ability to switch inputs using only the receiver (one button verses two or three).

4) Sony ES and Polk are well regarded around here. Good Luck wiht your system!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'd never connect a DVD player's video outputs to anything but the monitor/display itself. And doing so has no bearing whatsoever on the ability to enjoy a 5.1-channel surround mix. That's why you use either the optical or coax digital connection from the player to the receiver.

David Connor

Auditioning
Jack,

May I ask why you feel like this? I just got a new reciever and through hooking it up I am trying to decide if I want to run them through the reciever. I have a macro remote, so the steps is not a huge deal. Do you not do it because of the chance of frying your DVD player, through the reciever if something happened?
Thanks

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No, but instead because a direct connection from a player's component-video outputs to the display's component-video inputs results in the cleanest-possible picture.

JeffPh

Agent
Jack, you're right...I wasn't clear in my explanation. I should have said the audio from the DVD should go directly to the receiver...the video should go to the monitor (via component cable if possible). Is this correct?

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I should have said the audio from the DVD should go directly to the receiver...the video should go to the monitor (via component cable if possible). Is this correct?
Yeah, that's right.

This way you get the least amount of signal loss for both your audio and video connections when watching DVDs.

Hooking up your DVD video to the receiver can be done though, and it might make it one less remote you have to worry about. But you do this at the risk of a slight signal loss due to the extra step you're putting into video signals journey to the television/monitor.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i always tell people they should experiment and see if they notice any difference between running the video directly to the source versus running it through the receiver first.

if you see a difference then the answer is obvious.

i didn't notice any difference in my setup and i find the convenience of "one-stop-switching" well worth the price of admission.

btw - nice setup. i think you'll be quite happy with it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I didn't mean to confuse. Sorry. Of course the audio signals should be routed through the receiver!

Jeffrey N

Grip
Thank you for the advice everyone. Your recommendations were spot on. I have my system all set up and working. Now if I can only get the DVD and AVR settings to where I know that they are correct for my equipment/room, I'd be in 7th heaven... (another thread I think :)

JohnCRome

Auditioning
OT.

A gorilla walks into Miller’s Tavern, sits down at the bar, and orders a glass of merlot. When the beast hands him a twenty, the bartender gives him only eight dollars in change. The gorilla says nothing and begins to sip his wine. The bartender sees he’s a decent fellow, so he leans against the bar and says, “I have to admit, we don’t get too many gorillas in here.”

The gorilla replies, “At 12 dollars a glass, I can’t say I’m surprised.”

they actually made a commercial here for a famous drink using basically that exact same script (slightly modified to add some local color..)..hilarious..

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
lol. i always knew rome was a pretty cool place. :D

a friend sent me that joke a while ago...dunno where he got it from though.

JohnCRome

Auditioning
it was a campari commercial...another one in the same series...gorilla walks in with 2 bodyguards..and says..."one for me and and one for my two gorillas...."...then he starts laughting like mad at his own joke....

I'm telling you compared to some ads out there (dunno..mass lobotomy on quite a few elements of the larger PR companies IMHO)..these were killer....

Ciao.

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks