What's new

Windows 11 Computer No Longer Recognizes Connection to TV. (1 Viewer)

BluHT

Agent
Real Name
D Manning
Hello.

I have a regular computer display (an Acer Predator), which is the one I mainly use with my Window 11 computer. But, sometimes, I like to use my big-screen TV (an LG OLED 77C1) as the computer display (when playing games; viewing some videos played from my computer; etc.). The TV is connected to the computer using an HDMI cable and runs through my AV receiver (a Denon AVR-X4700H).

Normally, Windows 11 recognizes both the regular display and the TV and it is just a matter of switching between the two devices in Windows Settings. But, lately, Windows has not been recognizing my TV, just the regular computer display. This, despite the fact the physical connections have not changed. I replaced the HDMI cable with a new one. The connection was restored for about a day before disappearing again.

I've tried disconnecting the cable from the back of the computer while the computer is powered down, then inserting it while the computer is powered on. That worked, briefly, then stopped. I've tried eliminating the connections to other devices connected to the computer, to no avail. I've tried playing around with various settings on my receiver, also to no avail (unless I missed something).

What could be causing my computer to just no longer recognize that another display is connected to it—especially when it had worked well with no problems for a couple years?

Please help.

BluHT

Agent
Real Name
D Manning
Could be the hdmi board in your receiver. They are notoriously fickle.
Hmm...I was wondering about that @ChristopherG. I hope it isn’t receiver’s HDMI board, since that would be a more difficult repair, I assume.

But, I have several other devices connected to the receiver via HDMI and none of them have shown any problems. So, I suppose that could be a sign that works in favor of the receiver’s HDMI board...

Separately, my computer has also been experiencing slow internet browsing speeds, on and off. I may wind up performing a clean reinstallation of Windows 11 to address that issue. Perhaps it may even rectify this display issue. If not, I may try plugging the HDMI cable into a different socket on my receiver.

BluHT

Agent
Real Name
D Manning
Update...

Just to see what would happen, I did connect the HDMI cable from the computer directly to my TV, bypassing the AV receiver, and the computer did immediately recognize the TV. So that option, at least, is available if all else fails.

I still would prefer routing the connection through my receiver, however. Just out of curiosity, I tried to connect the HDMI cable from my computer to a different socket on my receiver. Still no connection.

But, I then happened to look under the Windows 11 settings, under System > Display > Advanced display. There I noticed, under the Display information section, that my Denon receiver was listed as “Display 2: Connected to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 [my computer’s graphics card],” plus a description that said “Display 2 isn’t active.” So, Windows, apparently, did recognize that there is a physical connection between my receiver and my computer which could be used as a display. But, for some reason, Windows behaved as if the receiver was turned off (even though it was on), not set to handle signals with the computer or otherwise existing but unavailable or offline.

All this seems to point to a setting on the receiver that must be changed. But I’m not sure which setting.

Anyone have any idea? Or maybe it’s something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks