What's new

Windows 10 21H1 Update rollout issues (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Rather than recycling my oldest desktop, I keep it in a closet as an emergency spare. It's an Inspiron 560, bought in April 2010.

Every half year I pull it out and update it to the newest Win 10 update. This weekend I updated it to Win 10 21H1, and the latest revisions to Edge, Chrome, and LibreOffice. Everything works just fine.

Dell and MS both state that this antique with an Intel Core 2 Duo "Wolfdale" processor can't run Win 10 of any vintage, but it does.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Rather than recycling my oldest desktop, I keep it in a closet as an emergency spare. It's an Inspiron 560, bought in April 2010.

Every half year I pull it out and update it to the newest Win 10 update. This weekend I updated it to Win 10 21H1, and the latest revisions to Edge, Chrome, and LibreOffice. Everything works just fine.

Dell and MS both state that this antique with an Intel Core 2 Duo "Wolfdale" processor can't run Win 10 of any vintage, but it does.
I think Dell still sells computers and Intel sells computer chips and MicroShaft sells software licenses. I can't imagine how they could tell an untruth like that ;)?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My thoughts about my 11 year old desktop were in consideration about how MS now says a three year old PC can't run the new Windows 11.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm not sure if this is Windows 10 related, but I noticed after my next to most recent Windows update a couple of weeks ago, when using the Windows Photos app, I can no longer get my photos to go full screen. My most recent Windows update this week didn't fix the issue, either!

Is anyone else experiencing this? I find this unexpected development of being stuck with a wide 4 sided border even when in full screen mode really annoying! :(

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm not sure if this is Windows 10 related, but I noticed after my next to most recent Windows update a couple of weeks ago, when using the Windows Photos app, I can no longer get my photos to go full screen. My most recent Windows update this week didn't fix the issue, either!

Is anyone else experiencing this? I find this unexpected development of being stuck with a wide 4 sided border even when in full screen mode really annoying! :(
The best way I can describe the above issue, is the surrounding bordering is basically like a fixed frame. Whenever I use the zoom in feature, imaging that would normally be visible within my monitor frame is now cut off by this extremely annoying artificial framing that for the life of me I can not get rid of!

These examples below should provide some idea regarding my Photos framing issue.

Non full frame mode:
IMG_20210815_123620037.jpg

Full frame mode. (Note the wide bordering that remains, even for a 1920x1080p image!)
IMG_20210815_123637168.jpg

The drop down menu with the "View actual size" option that I'm about to select:
IMG_20210815_123703009_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Note the artificial 4 sided bordering that remains after the image zoom in! This NEVER used to be a problem with this app!! :angry:
IMG_20210815_123713703_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's just weird, Tony. Normally when you click on the arrows (bottom right) it goes full screen and you no longer see those or any border unless the image won't fill the screen and have to press ESC to get out of full screen mode.

That almost looks like the resolution on your monitor isn't set properly.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That's just weird, Tony. Normally when you click on the arrows (bottom right) it goes full screen and you no longer see those or any border unless the image won't fill the screen and have to press ESC to get out of full screen mode.

That almost looks like the resolution on your monitor isn't set properly.
It's no different than it was before, although I tried changing a couple of the settings, to no avail. Even when I use my Laptop Monitor, it makes no difference. I swear this one is on Windows Update, and I'm not happy!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My friend was able to full screen on his Windows Professional. I think Microsoft has gone cheap with their Photos app on the home version. That same stupid bloody annoying as hell artificial framing is baked in, regardless of my settings.

Yes, I'm fucking PISSED!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edit: No real answers here, unfortunately, but one of the comments in the link below reveal this change was made in 2018. Why it didn't affect me until 2 weeks ago? Who bloody well knows?

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
OK, I've found it is actually possible to full screen images, BUT, and this is a huge BUT, I can only do this via the "See all photos" section, and it is quite clunky. Before, I could do a full borderless screen on any individual photo within any individual folder, but now it appears that I have to add the folder to the Photos Folder Gallery and have to access the "See all photos" section and access the photo/s within said folder through that portal to achieve a full non bordered screen, which is an unnecessarily annoying hassle. I really hate this! Why does Microsoft always have to make things so damn complicated?

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And that's all still quite odd - I tested on a Windows 10 Home edition that's fully patched/updated. It worked as I expected with no border on any image unless it didn't fit the AR of the screen.

Color me puzzled... :wacko:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
And that's all still quite odd - I tested on a Windows 10 Home edition that's fully patched/updated. It worked as I expected with no border on any image unless it didn't fit the AR of the screen.

Color me puzzled... :wacko:
This morning, I checked my wife's PC, which is the exact same model as mine. Sure enough, hers now also has the same framing issue as I do on mine, and she NEVER tweaks her Windows settings! The only difference is the white color of the background on the framing on her setup, which always could be adjusted (I adjusted mine to grey, which I prefer!), but she never did with hers. Could it be some weird thing with certain Acer Laptop models that didn't quite agree with the recent Windows updates for this particular app?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks