What's new

Windows 10 update 2004 - rollout issues (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@Mike Frezon sounds like the standard Windows app for iPhone (and Android, I assume) that lets you sent links from your phone to your desktop and such. It's not new; I've used it a bit the past few years.

If you don't trust the test messages, you can download it directly from the app store.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
@Mike Frezon sounds like the standard Windows app for iPhone (and Android, I assume) that lets you sent links from your phone to your desktop and such. It's not new; I've used it a bit the past few years.

If you don't trust the test messages, you can download it directly from the app store.
It appears to be a link shortening service.

If you don't trust it, I would go through the standard app stores.

Thanks, fellas. I feel somewhat vindicated of my suspicions by that article jcroy posted. After all those complaints to MS that using the shortened links didnt look kosher, MS eventually agreed (sort of) but continued to use them. The very last post in that thread--made May 21--even references the very thing I'm asking about:

5 months later, you're still using this domain to encourage Windows 10 owners to link their phone with their desktop, so that "I never have to email pictures to myself ever again". So those pictures will be routed through a server in Montserrat? Thanks, but I figure I'll just download them via USB instead.

Appreciate it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
@Mike Frezon, FWIW, I usually just upload whatever pics from my phone to Google Drive (after some quick in-phone tweaks), if I want them accessible (and backed up) beyond quick sharing, social media (and iCloud) or the like. Has your wife considered doing something like that instead?

But I do also prune the pics some before uploading, so...

I usually only transfer directly to local PC (and near-line storage) for the stuff from my "real" cameras, etc.

_Man_

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Two months after the public release and the bug page for 2004 still has 6 outstanding bugs dating from said public release date. :rolleyes:

And yet my machines are happy running Win10 2004.

Tony, JR, did you ever get around to updating?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Malwarebytes didn't work with Windows 10 2004. My machine took a long time to start with it. I ended up removing it and going back to Windows 10 1909.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Two months after the public release and the bug page for 2004 still has 6 outstanding bugs dating from said public release date. :rolleyes:

And yet my machines are happy running Win10 2004.

Tony, JR, did you ever get around to updating?
No, and I think I'll be following JR's lead in waiting it out as long as possible. Being unable to access Windows settings isn't something I ever want to have repeated, if it can be avoided!

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just did the latest updates without any incident.

Somehow, the Version 2004 displays as having been installed way back in mid-June. Don't ask me how! :emoji_shrug:

Screenshot 2020-09-16 191857.png

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks