What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Will Kino be Paramount in finally bringing much wanted films to Blu? (1 Viewer)

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
That’s where you are wrong. They ARE within KINO’s reach; they just have to convince Paramount to allow them to be licensed. If Criterion could do it with Warner’s, then they could very well do it too.

It is not that easy. Not to say it could not happen in the future, but I would not count on it. Paramount has no interest in making these types of deals. I think our only hope is they begin releasing MOD titles like WAC, Sony and Universal have been doing to keep catalog titles on the market. Otherwise I think we are SOL on getting many Paramount titles on Blu-ray disc.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
While I can not say who told me, but yes, they have no interest at the present. The person that told me is involved with Paramount.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well that stinks. Good to know another studio wants their films to rot in a vault. Good to know!
I understand your disappointment, but Paramount not releasing their catalog doesn't mean their films are rotting in their vaults as Paramount has a robust restoration program.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
...and Paramount just released two of their classics (War of the Worlds and It’s A Wonderful Life) in new 4K restorations through digital retailers. It seems that they’re putting their efforts to digital releases rather than physical, but not actually abandoning their catalog.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I understand your disappointment, but Paramount not releasing their catalog doesn't mean their films are rotting in their vaults as Paramount has a robust restoration program.
But what does it matter if they don’t release them? It’s ALWAYS a great idea to preserve the classics. It’s of PARAMOUNT importance (lul)! Restore and remaster. But if you won’t release them... :/

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
But what does it matter if they don’t release them? It’s ALWAYS a great idea to preserve the classics. It’s of PARAMOUNT importance (lul)! Restore and remaster. But if you won’t release them... :/
Because otherwise the film elements turn to dust. Also, those of us that can stream without any issues in the States can enjoy these restorations just fine.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Because otherwise the film elements turn to dust. Also, those of us that can stream without any issues in the States can enjoy these restorations just fine.
Yah, well not everyone lives in the usa. and not everyone likes to stream. I like physical media. I have great collection and I’d like to complete it.

I know full well the benefits of restoration; but releasing them only to stream in ONE COUNTRY when there are companies who would LOVE to release physical copies of their product and pay them to do so is beyond silly and kind of unfair. Kino, TT, Criterion, Olive etc., they’d all Find titles they’d love to release.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Yah, well not everyone lives in the usa. and not everyone likes to stream. I like physical media. I have great collection and I’d like to complete it.

I know full well the benefits of restoration; but releasing them only to stream in ONE COUNTRY when there are companies who would LOVE to release physical copies of their product and pay them to do so is beyond silly and kind of unfair. Kino, TT, Criterion, Olive etc., they’d all Find titles they’d love to release.
And not everyone CAN stream, certainly not in HD or UHD quality. Verizon Wireless is inadequate even for SD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right, not everyone can stream nor live in the States, but it is, what it is. Life is unfair and it's especially true for classic film lovers.

zbinks

Auditioning
Real Name
Zachary Binks
Kino Lorber Insider said:
We had to drop Flight to Tangier, since the 3-D restoration was no longer possible. We replaced it with Phobia.

No new Paramount deal.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=15807231&postcount=25809

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It is not that easy. Not to say it could not happen in the future, but I would not count on it. Paramount has no interest in making these types of deals. I think our only hope is they begin releasing MOD titles like WAC, Sony and Universal have been doing to keep catalog titles on the market. Otherwise I think we are SOL on getting many Paramount titles on Blu-ray disc.

I think another hope might be if Paramount manages to hire another person like Peter Staddon, their Home Entertainment guru of fifteen years ago. He was like George Feltenstein, and had a passion for classic films. Sometimes a simple regime change can open a lot of doors that we had thought were irrevocably shut. Staddon's departure from PHE was the death knell with regards to any studio enthusiasm for home video release of catalog titles, but the reverse could also happen. Unlikely, I know, but...
:unsure:

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think another hope might be if Paramount manages to hire another person like Peter Staddon, their Home Entertainment guru of fifteen years ago. He was like George Feltenstein, and had a passion for classic films. Sometimes a simple regime change can open a lot of doors that we had were irrevocably shut. Staddon's departure from PHE was the death knell with regards to any studio enthusiasm for home video release of catalog titles, but the reverse could also happen. Unlikely, I know, but...
:unsure:

I am happy Peter Staddon is being recognized for what he was.

I can't speak for him, but I think many from Fox left because they were no longer allowed to play in their sandbox anymore. I know that Fox was at its most innovative while Peter and his crew were there.

Sadly, we don't hear from Peter anymore.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am happy Peter Staddon is being recognized for what he was.

I can't speak for him, but I think many from Fox left because they were no longer allowed to play in their sandbox anymore. I know that Fox was at its most innovative while Peter and his crew were there.

Sadly, we don't hear from Peter anymore.

No, he was quite vocal on this forum for years. Was he also with Fox as well as Paramount?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale