What's new
World Wide Stereo

widescreen suggestions (1 Viewer)

Richard_Long

Auditioning
I am in the market for a widescreen (16:9 aspect ratio) television. I would prefer a direct view television as opposed to a rptv or a front projector. I don't watch a lot of "regular" television, it's mostly DVD's. If my tv is on I'm watching a DVD or getting the weather. I have another set to play games on so that is not a concern. Currently I have only looked at the Sony line of widescreens (34XBR800, 34H510 etc.)

Does anyone have any suggestions from other manufacturers or suggestions for what I should be looking for? What's everyones favorite TV manufacturers? Ones you have had extremely good results with. I want to stay below $2500 if that is possible. Also I want to stay in the size range from 30"-34" I live in an apartment and size becomes an issue very quickly with large televisions.

So hit me with your suggestions. I'll take advice on all makes, models and sizes. Help me decide what I should get.

Richard

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

david*mt

Second Unit
I would wait for the new Sony models that are supposed to come out in July. They have a 34'' model on the way and it sounds sweet.

AlbertL

Agent
Richard, although you specify you prefer direct view, you might seriously consider one of the 42 or 43 inch RPTVs. Spend some time watching one in the store if you haven't already, and compare them to the 34 inch directs.

I stubbornly stuck to the "must have direct view" mode for years, but the RPTV CRT tube technology has advanced to the point that now I feel the picture quality can RIVAL a direct view picture.

I'm using a Mitsu 42311 and also own a Sony 32XBR450. For DVDs the Sony can't hold a candle to the Mitsu in terms of pure cinematic impact.

The Mitsu is FAR easier to move and carry around. A 34 inch direct view is a huge pain in the rear to move. I don't think you'll save all that much space if you move to a Mitsu, Toshiba, or Sony 42/43 incher.

Actually I faced the same decision you are facing, and am thrilled with my choice to go RPTV.

AlbertL:)

Richard_Long

Auditioning
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. If I do decide to go with a RPTV how much do I have to worry about the dreaded burn-in. I am under the impression that RPTV's have an unusually high occurence of picture burn-in. Also I will probably move in about a year will I have any problems with the TV after a move. Thanks again for all the help and keep the suggestions coming.

Richard

Richard_Long

Auditioning
One more thing I forgot guys...Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for especially good (reliable, good picture, good sound, etc.) RPTV's. Any size or brand is ok...I'm as open as a book, no brand loyalties or anything like that. Thanks again

Richard

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I have a 34” Sony that is very nice indeed. At the time I was purchasing, I was also most impressed with a comparable Panasonic (which on some days, I liked the best) and a Toshiba which was a close second to the Sony and Panasonic.

I’m sure that you would be happy with any of the three. I don’t know anything about the upcoming new Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks