What's new

Why the Fear Over Buying Used DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
0% unwatched. As of this post, I have 474 DVDs and I have watched every single one of them, including listening to multiple commentaries, text commentaries, etc. Every single extra on every single disc.
Wow.

I've got a couple of unwatched DVDs that have been sitting on the shelf for over a year. One has been there for about 4 years IIRC. The other 8 or so were probably bought within the last 6 months or so.

There are various reasons for my unwatched DVDs:

1) Like Mark said, some I just have to be in the right mood for.

2) Some were ones I bought because the price was just right and I knew I'd like to see the film 'eventually'.

3) Some were gifts that while I want to see them, I just haven't gotten around to it.

This fall has not been a good time to catch up either. There have been so many great releases this year.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I totally relate to what you're saying about having to be in the right mood. That is also a reason some of my unwatched, are well, unwatched. I'll shave quite a bit off that number over break, but I still like to buy on release day because the prices are probably going to be better than if I wait until I have time to watch them.

I just noticed that I've watched every single animated title I own, whether it is a single disc release a 2 disc movie or a multidisc TV box. All my animated material has been watched.

Mitch, I'm impressed that you've watched every single thing on every single disc, I don't think I'll ever get that far.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I have a modest collection of DVD's (about 240) and probably only have about 15 that have yet to be opened.

I would estimate that about 90% of all the special features on these DVD's have NOT been watched.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
unwatched = 13 although I have seen the movies before. 1 of those movies is still in it's shrinkwrap (Best Buy gave out "From Dusk to Dawn" free to people who purchased Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown Special Edition DVDs that first week, and yes it count in my collection ;) )

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Mitch, I'm impressed that you've watched every single thing on every single disc, I don't think I'll ever get that far.
Well it took me SOOOOOOO long! On weekends I was watching extras for at least 10 hours PER DAY just to get through all of them. I took me almost a year of hours upon hours to get through my entire collection + Extras. Also, whenever I buy a DVD, I immediately watch it. Most of the times I'm not in the "mood" to watch what it is I just bought, like most of you are saying, but I watch it ANYWAY all the way through to make sure that the disc is completely free of defects.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Here's a follow up to the unwatched question. How many discs do you have that are in a heavier rotation, IE get viewed multiple times.

I've gone through all 3 seasons of the Simpsons several times, the same with 4 seasons of Friends, and I lot track of how many times I've watched Shrek and Remember the Titans. Maybe instead of watching some of these multiple times I should view some that I haven't yet?

My proudest DVD moment is that I've gotten through all 9 discs of Baseball: a film by Ken Berns. Only the disc of extras remains, we're talking nearly 20 hours here.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Someone once compared DVD collections to book collections. A lot of people have books they've never read before.
I have many books I've never read. I tend to read books in bursts and then stop for a while. I collect stuff I know I will be interested in, mostly classic literature, and then I have plenty of stuff to choose from when the urge hits. I've been collecting the hardcover editions of the Everyman's Library, which are very nicely done books of classic literature. They are actually pretty reasonably priced as well.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
there are only about 2 movies in my entire collection that I wish I wouldn't have bought.
Just curious, what are they, they only movie I wished I didn't buy are movies that have special editions that come up later, but I think we all have that feeling with the Double, Triple, Quadruple-dips the studios pull on us these days!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I have many books I've never read. I tend to read books in bursts and then stop for a while.
That's how I am with DVD's. There are times where I'll go through 10 movies in one shot, then I'll go through a phase where I just buy them and they sit on the shelf (waiting for that burst of DVD's I go through).

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

Not including going back for commentaries, there are only two I've put on more than once: by Brakhage and sometimes when I have a half hour to kill I'll throw on an episode of "Mr. Show". Of course, a lot of my DVDs are movies/shows I've seen before, often many many times, but still... I wish I had more time to go back and re-watch movies. It's something I've struggled with a lot actually -- the conflict between wanting to (sometimes feeling obligated to) experience something new, and wanting to revisit an old favorite.

paul_r

Grip
The main reason I don't buy used is many places stick big price labels right on the front cover. If you try to remove them you end up with that white sticky stuff.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Funny how the following are being insinuated or (mis)construed, based on the various replies in this amusing thread:

1) A title isn't considered part of a DVD collection unless it was bought brand-new--i.e., used or freely-acquired titles don't/shouldn't count;
2) Title for title, a DVD that was purchased brand-new at or close to MSRP is more "valuable" or significant than one that was bought brand-new but at discount prices;
3) It's not enough that one person tries to one-up another solely based on the total number of titles in his/her collection, but that--all other things being the same--if his collection consists of a greater percentage of "bought-new" titles than the other, his collection is more impressive. Sheesh--if someone has to go this far so as to show off his collection as being better than someone else's...perhaps this is the same person who drives expensive sports cars to hide the fact regarding the small size of his...;)

Bottom line--people shouldn't criticize or be criticized for purchasing methods or limits. As long as you're happy with your collection--why should you give more than an brief moment's thought about someone else's (other than perhaps inquiring about what genre(s) he watches), relative to yours?

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
Holy toledo! What a whirlwind this thread has been. I enjoyed every minute of reading through all the posts, I wish the *Subwoofer And Speaker* area was a tenth this entertaining. Maybe you guys should take your act over there in an effort to help spruce things up. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Funny how the following are being insinuated or (mis)construed, based on the various replies in this amusing thread:
Those things were not in the last bit misconstrued. Every one of those things was quite literally said or distinctly implied in this thread and then deleted. Did you wonder what all those empty posts were?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Holy toledo! What a whirlwind this thread has been. I enjoyed every minute of reading through all the posts, I wish the *Subwoofer And Speaker* area was a tenth this entertaining. Maybe you guys should take your act over there in an effort to help spruce things up.
Am going over there right now to start a "Why the Fear Over Buying Used Subwoofers and Speakers" thread.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
A lot of people have books they've never read before.
I have less than 10 books I haven't read out of about 150 - and I would be at more like 2 if I didn't work full time and go to college full time. And I would say that 75%+ of my books have been read over 3-4 times. I like reading better than movies anyway (sorry movie folks).

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Mark & Mitch --

You know, now that you guys deleted your posts, my comments bringing goats into the equation is going to look mighty strange.... ;)

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
there are only about 2 movies in my entire collection that I wish I wouldn't have bought.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just curious, what are they, they only movie I wished I didn't buy are movies that have special editions that come up later, but I think we all have that feeling with the Double, Triple, Quadruple-dips the studios pull on us these days!
The only two that I really regret buying are 'Mystery Men' and 'Dogma'.

StephanieC

Stunt Coordinator
Well I've cut down on buying all around, including used. I'm renting right now and while I'm a bit impatient waiting for the movies in the mail, it's great at saving me money and getting films I probably wouldn't see otherwise. I'm selling a lot of my movies I never watch on Ebay as well.

With about 500-ish films/tv shows (math is NOT my strong point) about 10% more or less (more less than more) are unwatched. Some of them are movies I've seen before but yet to have watched on DVD.

I love my collection, and I really don't care what anyone else says about it. They're the films I chose and I'm happy with them all- bought used, new, got as a gift or anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks