What's new

Why such a long time to release some directors' most popular/important films on DVD? (1 Viewer)

RobR

Second Unit
This is something I couldn't figure out. Why does it take so long to release certain directors' most popular or important films on DVD?

E.g.

Spielberg's Schindler's List, E.T., and the Indiana Jones trilogy

Lucas' Star Wars trilogy

Zemeckis' Back to the Future trilogy

I know some people are going to respond that they'd rather wait for them to do it right the first time those films are released on DVD, but that doesn't make sense from a manufacturer's standpoint in terms of maximizing profits.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I find it frustrating as well, but I would imagine that makers of these films have sufficient influence to prevent their release. I can' think of any reason other than to ensure that they are done right.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
At this point it has a lot to do with maximizing sales by choosing appropriate timeframes and leaving enough time to build proper campaigns.

For instance E.T. is getting a theatrical re-release which leads into its DVD release. Awareness will be high and Universal hopes sales will too.

If they dumped everyone of their popular titles at once, they wouldn't be able to build enough awareness and they know it'd stretch our wallets too thin thinning their sales.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Many directors such as Speilberg are kind of busy with films...so if participation is needed for DVD, obviously it's going to have to wait.

Also take into consideration that remastering, extras gathering, etc has to be done. Waits are good if it results in a top-notch disc (such as Snow White, Citizen Kane, and even Lawrence of Arabia.)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
At this point it has a lot to do with maximizing sales by choosing appropriate timeframes and leaving enough time to build proper campaigns.
I couldn't agree more. I doubt it would benefit the studios to dump all of their "sure things" onto the market in the same month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks