why is it bad?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by PeterK, Jan 22, 2005.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

to hook up 2 outputs from one AVR to a single speaker? will this damage the reciever or the speakers or both? what if I had 2 recievers and hooked one output from each to a speaker, would that be damaging aswell?
    thanks. My AVR has an a/b switch? could I output both a/b to mains possibly? my reciever is te sony de-597.

2. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

you will damage the receiver. when you do that, you are basically sending out information from one channel of the receiver, to the other channel of the receiver and it will short out the output stages. I did it before with an old receiver, had to send it in for repairs. If you have bi-ampable mains, which means dual binding posts, you can hook up the A speaker to one post, and the B speaker to another post as long as you remove the jumper that connects both posts together, but you won't notice any improvement, just leave it the way it is. If you want more power, just buy an outboard amplifier if your receiver allows you to hookup one, or sell the receiver and get a more powerful one.

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Yeah, I fried an older reciever that way, back when I was young and dumb.

Don't do it. You basically try to force a current across output devices that are already designed to force a current across speakers, so you send a huge amount of current and fry stuff.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The simple answer is: you will get no sound if you hook it up either of the ways you mention, and possibly some funny smelling puffs of smoke [​IMG]

5. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Yes you'll blow the amp up, in both cases (two channels to one speaker, two amps to one speaker)

You can use A-B switch to bi-wire, however no difference at all. Just use output wiring, as described in the manual.