What's new

WHV Announcement: Warner Bros. celebrates 90th Anniversary with "Best of Warner Bros." Collections ( (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Finally, James Dean on Blu-ray! I'm also excited about Cabaret, Easter Parade and The Best Years of Our Lives.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I'll never understand that target audience for these giant box sets. Is there anyone who is going to want a set that contains both "Broadway Melody of 1929" and "Natural Born Killers"?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Rob_Ray said:
I'll never understand that target audience for these giant box sets. Is there anyone who is going to want a set that contains both "Broadway Melody of 1929" and "Natural Born Killers"?
Well, I've seen both, and enjoyed both. But you are right, I wouldn't schedule them as a double-bill.
David

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by David Weicker /t/324196/whv-announcement-warner-bros-celebrates-90th-anniversary-with-best-of-warner-bros-collections-and-more-in-2013/60#post_3984128
Well, I've seen both, and enjoyed both. But you are right, I wouldn't schedule them as a double-bill.
David
Ha ha, I have them both too. That's jsut it, anyone interested, has them.

Then there's inclusions like The Dark Knight, the middle film of a trilogy. I get it was more popular than Batman Begins, but it's still ridiculous.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
got to agree totally with David Weicker.
I'm hanging out for the release on Blu ray of the Fred Astaire material, esp. the prime Fred and Ginger material (how about just Swing Time, Gay Divorcee, Top Hat, Roberta , Flying Down to Rio, Carefree, Shall we Dance and Follow the Fleet just for starters) and of course Easter Parade, Funny Face, Daddy Long Legs and Three little Words.
And while we're on musicals, where is the promised big-box of all the versions of Show Boat? And who owns the rights to the old two-colour Making Whoopee?
And a question .. despite ratio issues etc, is there a quality gain in the blu ray version of the That's Entertainment box? I'm running a 120-inch projector system and will upgrade if you see a genuine benefit -- I don't mind issues relating to variable quality of original material .. this is historic material after all!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
As per the Digital Bits article, I'm surprised certain titles like KEY LARGO and THE BIG SLEEP haven't been put into production for this anniversary year. I'm excited about a proper WESTWORLD (one of my very first DVD purchases), the MAD MAX trilogy and THE RIGHT STUFF, but THE NATIVITY STORY? Seriously? I was at New Line when that turkey dropped! I'm glad they're fixing the problematic ENTER THE DRAGON disc, but all of the other reissues/anniversary editions seem significantly more opportunistic than necessary.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, they can't get to everything at once.

The Nativity Story is a pretty obvious Easter tie-in. But I agree, seems like a weak choice. Then again, New Line titles worthy of Blu are starting to become less numerous; they've already released most of the heavy hitters from the NL catalog.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
It's funny -- I can tell how old my WB/NL DVD collection is by the number of snapper cases I still own. LOCAL HERO, THE IN-LAWS, HOUSE PARTY, GET CARTER, THE TIME MACHINE, TIME AFTER TIME, ONE CRAZY SUMMER, SINGLES, THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, WAIT UNTIL DARK, LONE STAR, THE HIDDEN (and the aforementioned KEY LARGO)-- all snappers.

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
There are some great movies coming out next year! Though,i was hoping to see The Big Sleep,McCabe & Mrs.Miller,Badlands,Out of the Past,Key Largo,Get Carter 1971,Lone Star and yes Ace Ventura flicks on that list.So is that a preliminary &/or definitive list?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Oliver Siegel /t/324196/whv-announcement-warner-bros-celebrates-90th-anniversary-with-best-of-warner-bros-collections-and-more-in-2013/60#post_3984284
There are some great movies coming out next year! Though,i was hoping to see The Big Sleep,McCabe & Mrs.Miller,Badlands,Out of the Past,Key Largo,Get Carter 1971,Lone Star and yes Ace Ventura flicks on that list.So is that a preliminary &/or definitive list?
Badlands has been long rumoured for the Criterion collection. Yesterday Criterion posted a picture of Martin Sheen "visiting" them which has kicked off even more excitement for a Criterion version. I'm holding thumbs for it to happen! :D

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Is it too much to ask that Innerspace and the Police Academy films be included in the festivities?
(I'll go away now.) :)
P.S. I believe The Fugitive is also being remastered for an anniversary release next year as well.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Scott D S said:
Is it too much to ask that Innerspace and the Police Academy films be included in the festivities?
(I'll go away now.) :)
P.S. I believe The Fugitive is also being remastered for an anniversary release next year as well.
There is rumor and confirmation from actor George Gains that a new Police Academy bluray special edition is coming. He recorded a new commentary track.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Russell G /t/324196/whv-announcement-warner-bros-celebrates-90th-anniversary-with-best-of-warner-bros-collections-and-more-in-2013/60#post_3984288
Badlands has been long rumoured for the Criterion collection. Yesterday Criterion posted a picture of Martin Sheen "visiting" them which has kicked off even more excitement for a Criterion version. I'm holding thumbs for it to happen! :D

I thought Warners did not ever license their films out. Did they lose the rights to it?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by JohnMor /t/324196/whv-announcement-warner-bros-celebrates-90th-anniversary-with-best-of-warner-bros-collections-and-more-in-2013/60#post_3984302

I thought Warners did not ever license their films out. Did they lose the rights to it?
I have no idea.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by JohnMor /t/324196/whv-announcement-warner-bros-celebrates-90th-anniversary-with-best-of-warner-bros-collections-and-more-in-2013/60#post_3984302

They're making an exception. Supposedly there may be a few more, though only for films that Warner does not see as viable to market themselves and with living directors who can work with Criterion on the release. Feel free to speculate away about those implications.

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
Hopefully Criterion gets McCabe & Mrs Miller too,because otherwise there are very slim chances of getting BD release from Warner themselves.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Brandon Conway said:
They're making an exception. Supposedly there may be a few more, though only for films that Warner does not see as viable to market themselves and with living directors who can work with Criterion on the release. Feel free to speculate away about those implications. ;)
Of course you're talking about Savage Steve Holland's ONE CRAZY SUMMER, right? :D

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Oliver Siegel said:
Unfortunately, GET CARTER got stiffed and was dumped into the Warner MOD program-- that's a shame.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)]Three events you can count on annually: Paying your taxes, your birthday and a new Warner Bros release of :[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)]a) "The Wizard of Oz"[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)]b) "Gone With the Wind"[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)]c) "Casablanca" [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)]Take your pick (you can't lose) [/COLOR]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks