What's new

Who Framed Roger Rabbit coming to 4K disc. (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Disney will release on 4K disc Who Framed Roger Rabbit in Germany on October 14th. There is talk of a US release on October 12th? Great film and a easy purchase for me.

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Viewed this on a website but not sure if the art work is made up or what will appear on the 4K release?

1624713829089.png

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Interesting/odd they're choosing to release this out of all they have now w/ fans practically up-in-arms over their recent trend/policy/messaging and non-existent roadmap...

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Are they going to restore the frames of film they took out?

I would think not. Disney hasn’t reversed any of their censorship efforts on films like this and Fantasia.

Roger Rabbit has been available in 4k digitally for about a year now. Should be easy for them to put this on disc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What was taken out and why?

This may explain…

I did just a basic search. You could probably find better stills and video footage of the excised material but basically it was adult gags that the animators threw into the film that seems would only be detected if you watched frame-by-frame.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Also noted at the bits

Here’s a nice surprise: European retail sources are also reporting that Disney’s long-awaited Who Framed Roger Rabbit 4K Ultra HD release will arrive in October (the German date is currently 10/14, so expect the US release on 10/12).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
What messaging/policy is that?

That they're essentially not releasing anymore catalog titles to disc (other than the Star Wars franchise and the most popular ones of the last couple decades or so, eg. Marvel flicks, prime Pixar/animated flicks since Little Mermaid), especially in 4K...

It's why you might see bits of comments here or there concerned that various much beloved/celebrated titles like Sound of Music might actually not get a 4K release...

_Man_

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
This may explain…

I did just a basic search. You could probably find better stills and video footage of the excised material but basically it was adult gags that the animators threw into the film that seems would only be detected if you watched frame-by-frame.

Some of the edits are pretty sloppy and are noticeable even during regular playback.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Some of the edits are pretty sloppy and are noticeable even during regular playback.

I haven't seen the movie recently though I have the 4k on digital and keep putting off watching it.

Are you saying that you can notice where they cut out the offensive frames?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I would think not. Disney hasn’t reversed any of their censorship efforts on films like this and Fantasia.

Roger Rabbit has been available in 4k digitally for about a year now. Should be easy for them to put this on disc.

While a much lesser film than the two classics mentioned above, Disney has restored the missing cigarette butts in the Pecos Bill segment of Melody Time in the Disney Plus Transfer. Granted, it doesn’t mean they’ll restore the censored bits from the other films (we’re still waiting for an uncensored Make Mine Music to turn up).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
While a much lesser film than the two classics mentioned above, Disney has restored the missing cigarette butts in the Pecos Bill segment of Melody Time in the Disney Plus Transfer. Granted, it doesn’t mean they’ll restore the censored bits from the other films (we’re still waiting for an uncensored Make Mine Music to turn up).

Jack, I was not aware of that. Fact is, I know very little of what Disney has censored. Fantasia and Roger Rabbit were the two films that made the biggest headlines when they were censored. There's another story about the movie poster for The Little Mermaid where there is an object that looks like a penis that was changed.

I am kind of shocked Disney fixed Melody Time, but it's a nice step forward. I just don't think that any excised footage with racial or sexual overtones is going to ever be restored.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I haven't seen the movie recently though I have the 4k on digital and keep putting off watching it.

Are you saying that you can notice where they cut out the offensive frames?

I just took a look and it appears that the version currently available on DVD and Blu-ray has been adjusted to be less noticeable.

There's a scene near the beginning of the movie where Baby Herman walks between a lady's legs and raises his hand up to goose her with a finger as he passes under her skirt. In the censored version that was released on VHS and Laserdisc, Herman's entire arm was erased and very noticeably disappeared for a second (which also made the movement of the skirt look very weird). In the current version, the arm has been restored and only the finger is erased. The gag moves so quickly that you probably wouldn't notice it if you didn't know to look for it, so I guess that's an improvement.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Song of the South characters actually make cameos in this film, most notably the three moles who accompanied Uncle Remus on "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah." They appear with Peter Pig, who didn't make it as big as his more famous avian co-star in 1934's The Wise Little Hen who appeared earlier in the film playing the piano:

who-framed-roger-rabbit-disneyscreencaps.com-8352.jpg

And at the extreme left bottom side of the frame, I just noticed Chicken Little. The real one.

Other cameos from the film:

who-framed-roger-rabbit-disneyscreencaps.com-8359.jpg
who-framed-roger-rabbit-disneyscreencaps.com-8380.jpg

There's another story about the movie poster for The Little Mermaid where there is an object that looks like a penis that was changed.

There was an alteration to actual movie The Little Mermaid unrelated to that poster, which was changed after the VHS release but before the Laserdisc:

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
When you freeze framed on the LD, it was just the folds/knees of his pants... but I guess you see what you want to see.

Not like the actual frames from the RESCUERS that had 2 frames showing the topless lady in the window. I had 2 copies of the LD and made a few bucks on one of them. When the new LD players came out, you could freeze frame a CLV disc like the CAV disc, except it wouldn't stop at the same spot every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks