JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Roger Waters: Us + Them. A theatrical quality concert film with a stellar HD Atmos soundtrack, and plentiful multimedia enhancement.  A must see for Pink Floyd and Waters fans.  Just be prepared for Waters’ requisite political statements, which are in abundance.

Roger Waters - Us + Them (2019)

Released: 02 Oct 2019
Rated: Not Rated
Runtime: 135 min

Director: Sean Evans, Roger Waters
Genre: Documentary, Music

Cast: Rufat Aliyev, Farshid Azizi, Nikoo Bafti
Writer(s): N/A

Plot: A look at Roger Waters' 2017-2018 concert tour.

IMDB rating: 8.2
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Other
Distributed By: Other
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I've been a fan of Pink Floyd since the 1970s and saw them perform The Wall at London's Earls Court in 1981. I had this blu ray a couple of years ago and it is exceptionally well produced. I'm not sure how much Waters sings or performs live and how much is backing. However, I did subsequently sell it on because of the political 'overdubbing', I always thought Roger should let the songs do the talking. Since Waters left Pink Floyd with much acrimony I have preferred the music and more laid back approach of David Gilmour. I recommend his Live at Pompeii (2017) which better captures the flavour of Pink Floyd (the circular screen helps). Unlike Roger, David and his band actually look like they are enjoying themselves.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've been a fan of Pink Floyd since the 1970s and saw them perform The Wall at London's Earls Court in 1981. I had this blu ray a couple of years ago and it is exceptionally well produced. I'm not sure how much Waters sings or performs live and how much is backing. However, I did subsequently sell it on because of the political 'overdubbing', I always thought Roger should let the songs do the talking. Since Waters left Pink Floyd with much acrimony I have preferred the music and more laid back approach of David Gilmour. I recommend his Live at Pompeii (2017) which better captures the flavour of Pink Floyd (the circular screen helps). Unlike Roger, David and his band actually look like they are enjoying themselves.
Roger Waters will always be Roger Waters. He's a textbook, cranky misanthrope. I love his music, but it's not like a want to have a beer with him. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you're not sure if he's actually performing here, because he clearly is. FWIW, he's never been much of a singer, and that hasn't improved with age, but it is what it is. He has others there to sing the David Gilmore parts, and there's always the female backup singers.

I can't say that he's produced much as a solo artist, but Pink Floyd has also declined, though not as much. I do definitely like Momentary Lapse of Reason, but the other releases seem pretty bland to me. I guess the bottom line is, Waters did awesome stuff with Pink Floyd. And yes, he should just let the songs do the talking. It's not like his lyrics have ever been subtle.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I notice that (unless I missed something) Roger has been remarkably silent about recent events of which he’s heavily been politically invested in. Then I remember that his Dark Side Redux has just been (or about to be) released

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've never been much of a Floyd fan, but I decided to see RW on this tour last year.

At the start of the show, an announcement warned that there'd be a lot of politics, so if you don't like that, you'd better leave.

Even as someone who's essentially on RW's side... woof, did the politics get old.

I'm not a "shut up and sing" guy. I think artists should express themselves however they want.

RW just felt like the drunk uncle at Thanksgiving who turned every topic into politics.

"Hey Uncle Roger, could you pass the potatoes?"

"Not while they're shelling hospitals in Ukraine!" :laugh:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's a reason I put so much emphasis on the level of politics in the concert. I admit, the first time I watched it, by the final 1/3 I was mumbling "Give it a rest, dude." Animals is possibly my favorite album that Waters has been involved in, and while it is an extremely political album, he does make things a burden will his relentlessness. So, while it does disappoint me that he injected that much into the performance of most of an album I love, after the first time around I know it's coming and just let it roll off my back. I definitely recognize that for some people, that might not be possible, because it is heavy handed.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Slightly off topic, but hopefully we’ll get a good BluRay/UHD release of The Wall film.

That’s kind of an odd one. I wonder why we never got one. Is the film something that would be subject to being held in limbo over the ongoing Waters/Gilmour feud?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
There's a reason I put so much emphasis on the level of politics in the concert. I admit, the first time I watched it, by the final 1/3 I was mumbling "Give it a rest, dude." Animals is possibly my favorite album that Waters has been involved in, and while it is an extremely political album, he does make things a burden will his relentlessness. So, while it does disappoint me that he injected that much into the performance of most of an album I love, after the first time around I know it's coming and just let it roll off my back. I definitely recognize that for some people, that might not be possible, because it is heavy handed.

Yeah with Waters you have to be prepared for that. It’s a bit grating for me though since Roger is not a guy I would likely get along with. That being said I have seen him live several times

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
That’s kind of an odd one. I wonder why we never got one. Is the film something that would be subject to being held in limbo over the ongoing Waters/Gilmour feud?
That would be my guess- the Gilmour/Waters feud has held this up. 🙁

WillG

Senior HTF Member
That would be my guess- the Gilmour/Waters feud has held this up. 🙁

I thought though the PF dissolution settlement way back when gave Waters more control over The Wall than their other material. But yeah I don’t know what is going on behind the scenes but I don’t picture Gilmour giving much of a care over a BD/UHD release to hold it up

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Think it has more to do with the licenses for PF material being all over the place following the disolution of EMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.