What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Cabin in the Sky is a lovely musical and was Vincente Minnelli’s maiden film directorial effort.

Cabin in the Sky (1943)

Released: 09 Apr 1943
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 98 min

Director: Vincente Minnelli, Busby Berkeley
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Fantasy

Cast: Ethel Waters, Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson, Lena Horne
Writer(s): Joseph Schrank, Lynn Root, Marc Connelly

Plot: A compulsive gambler dies during a shooting, but he'll receive a second chance to reform himself and to make up with his worried wife.

IMDB rating: 7.1
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: MGM
Distributed By: Warner Archive
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1
Audio: English 2.0 DTS-HDMA...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
Thanks, Matt! This is one I've been waiting on for a LONG time--I'm stoked to hear it looks and sounds so great! It's certain to be a big step up from the old DVD, which also now freezes halfway through for me, a likely victim of the dreaded Warner disc rot of those particular years of manufacture. I wish they could have gone with sepia for this new edition, but I don't believe the DVD featured that either. Oh, well. It's a terrific film that I've been itching to see again--and I will soon, as this was blind pre-order for me.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
Great film and terrific transfer. The old dvd commentary by Brown accuses each character of being a stereotypical representation ( without acknowledging that even stereotypes are based on SOMETHING derived from writers observations in true life) in a damned if you do and damned if you don't way. His commentary is somewhat dated in its aggressive criticism and seems to be straining not to go ad hominem on the actors for their participation in the characterizations he apparently resents. I don't think anyone should have the onus of being spokesman for any group, but he assumes it with a finality that has an off-putting arrogance. I appreciate some of what he says and much of his perspective, but it puts such a relentlessly grumpy and unbalanced spin on a wartime fantasy that it thumps with heavy-handedness. I couldn't help but wonder what Jacqueline Stewart might have offered these days.

Broomy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Watched my copy this afternoon. Man! What a great movie!!!
As usual with WAC the movie looked and sounded stunning. The extras were also great. I particularly liked the Pete Smith short, I’m so happy these get included - keep em coming George.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Wow, these look great! Only one thing I can't figure out. It looks like some DVD cases are clear and have Blu-ray cases inside of them--or is this an optical illusion?
It's a DVD case.
I just put the 'blu case' as part of the spine design, so that when I look at my shelf, it looks consistent. So yeah, intentional optical illusion.
Hopefully most of the remaining DVDs will eventually have Blu-Ray releases
Not holding my breath for Invitation To The Dance (niche demand) or That's Dancing (multiple studios - rights issues, including Fox/Disney)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks