What's new

Once Upon a Time in the West 4K UHD (2 Viewers)

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Discussion on forum page (regarding West Side Story) has begun.

Ergo, posted same link 3 minutes late.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Still no word on why Paramount put plans on hold to release OUATITW to 4k, but I think perhaps we are now one step closer to a disc release given the Scorseses Foundation digital screening that has just been offered:

Not certain this screening represents the same 4k transfer on the upcoming disc release or even if the presentation will be 2160p.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Still no word on why Paramount put plans on hold to release OUATITW to 4k, but I think perhaps we are now one step closer to a disc release given the Scorseses Foundation digital screening that has just been offered:

Not certain this screening represents the same 4k transfer on the upcoming disc release or even if the presentation will be 2160p.

I expect that they will use the 4K DCP that has been created from their work:

1700505926465.png

I see no reason why we should not see a UHD release next year.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any movement on this release on 4k disc?

Paramount is hard to figure out on older film releases. Some are 4k digital and the disc has yet to materialize….

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I wouldn't be surprised if Paramount backtracks and decides to let Kino have it after all (or Criterion). Dunno, to me it feels like the studio's heart just isn't into it anymore, as evidenced by the erratic decisions and sparse release schedule. Their Presents line is only trickling out a handful of titles every other month (maybe it was always that way?). Arrow is on their second Paramount Western so maybe it'll come out via Arrow. They would do a fantastic job on it for sure.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wouldn't be surprised if Paramount backtracks and decides to let Kino have it after all (or Criterion). Dunno, to me it feels like the studio's heart just isn't into it anymore, as evidenced by the erratic decisions and sparse release schedule. Their Presents line is only trickling out a handful of titles every other month (maybe it was always that way?). Arrow is on their second Paramount Western so maybe it'll come out via Arrow. They would do a fantastic job on it for sure.

Anything is possible though I bet that Paramount will release this on their own. I don't know why it's now a year late from the original expectations, but I still expect a 4k release will eventually happen.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I don't know how well OUATITW has done for Paramount on home video in the past but if they were to license it to Kino, then that's pretty much a confession as "not that great".

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I don't know how well OUATITW has done for Paramount on home video in the past but if they were to license it to Kino, then that's pretty much a confession as "not that great".

Nope. It could just mean the studio doesn't want to bother with it and would just as well pass it on. Marathon Man, Face/Off, Escape From Alcatraz - all bona fide hits on home video that were licensed out. Plus, this may be a bit of a stretch but OUATITW may be Paramount's only spaghetti Western IIRC. Maybe they consider the film a kind of red headed stepchild.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, it's also up on that German site that lists forthcoming release, & it's coming from Paramount Home Entertainment, so I'd think a US release is pretty much a certainty.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Unless it’s another To Catch a Thief.

It is an important movie from an important director so I am sure it will be better - oh wait...

Kidding aside this one simply has to be good after all the disappointments with other Sergio Leone movies. So don't let us down Paramount and we may even forgive you for the "improved" To Catch a Thief ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks