What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by owen35 /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/90#post_3926787
Thanks for the post. Just posted it to my DavidLean.com website.
This looks to be worth the wait. But will it contain the restored balcony scene? Hmmmmmm?
It's also interesting to note that the site states it is from a 4K transfer not an 8K transfer that I've heard rumored.

65mm is scanned at 8k if preservation is part of the process, 4k (or less) if it is not. All work is performed in 4k.

And just to confuse things, 8k is not really a higher resolution than 4k. Wider film, more pixels. That's all there is to it.

Don't get caught up in smoke and mirrors.

RAH

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The map looks like the one "silly" extra item we've come to expect from these sorts of sets, but I'm a bit curious what it going to be one it. Will it be the historic route the real Lawrence of Arabia took, or something else?
I'll probably pick up the box, assuming it is available in the R1 release.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Robert Harris said:
65mm is scanned at 8k if preservation is part of the process, 4k (or less) if it is not.  All work is performed in 4k.
And just to confuse things, 8k is not really a higher resolution than 4k.  Wider film, more pixels.  That's all there is to it.
Don't get caught up in smoke and mirrors.
RAH
owen35 said:
Thanks for the post. Just posted it to my DavidLean.com website.
This looks to be worth the wait. But will it contain the restored balcony scene? Hmmmmmm?
It's also interesting to note that the site states it is from a 4K transfer not an 8K transfer that I've heard rumored.
Nothing has thus far been reported about the Balcony/Terrace scene being restored. If it were 'restored' then I would believe that Columbia/Sony would be marketing so...Perhaps it's part of the making of documentary???????? The 'wait' is almost over ....

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It's always fascinating to read that most people saw this in 70mm for the first time twenty years ago with the restoration. Some of us, of course, saw it back when it opened - in LA that was at the Stanley Warner Beverly Hills - and all I can tell you about THAT experience is that it looked absolutely amazing. Interestingly, I did not love the film back then - in fact, it was one of the ONLY epics in 70mm that I didn't love. I liked it, I saw it a few times during its roadshow engagement, but, for me, back then, it wasn't as good as Ben-Hur, Spartacus, King of Kings, or others that I went bonkers for. Time has changed my opinion somewhat

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
(I loved that Warner, but never knew it until the mid-1970s as the Beverly Hills. Not to be confused, of course, with the Beverly and the Beverly Canon.)

I first saw Lawrence in re-release circa 1970, and only because a friend who was crazy about it took me along. I didn't fall for it, though I was interested "enough". I had already loved other David Lean, but simply wasn't ready for this one. My time to connect with it was in 1989 at the Plitt Century Plaza, which I indulged in several times -- and as I sit here tonight, I wish I could say it had been many more times.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
I totally agree with that. Lawrence was quite a different movie. Sort of sui generis. To me, Lawrence wasn't an historical epic with a big set-piece action scene, nor was it a war movie like The Guns of Navarone, for example, nor was it a drama, much less an art movie. It did look fabulous in 70mm at the Odeon Leicester Square and then the Metropole (where it replaced the far more enjoyable El Cid, I think) but it wasn't until the late 1970s that I began to appreciate the film's remarkable qualities.

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
Yeah, I'd be fascinated to learn if any more of it has been restored, or if we'll see any trims.
I mean, the restored version is Lean's director's cut, but didn't he cut a few things that were in the original Dec. 62 premiere version? Like the extra bit between Lawrence's two colleagues in the map room after he departs?
I don't require a restoration of the premiere version; I accept Lean's director's cut, but I'd be fascinated to see all the bit and pieces trimmed away, assuming they are extant.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/120#post_3926949
Yeah, I'd be fascinated to learn if any more of it has been restored, or if we'll see any trims.
I mean, the restored version is Lean's director's cut, but didn't he cut a few things that were in the original Dec. 62 premiere version? Like the extra bit between Lawrence's two colleagues in the map room after he departs?
I don't require a restoration of the premiere version; I accept Lean's director's cut, but I'd be fascinated to see all the bit and pieces trimmed away, assuming they are extant.

With the exception of the balcony scene, and the first third of the opening sequence with Dryden and Murray, everything else is bits and pieces -- some a few frames, others a foot or two. As an example, the 222 version has a shot of Brighton opening the hatch atop a tank and standing. There were frames just before the hatch opens, which were removed as unnecessary. A shot of raiders singing as they leave Quinn's encampment, probably 3 feet, which is also inconsequential, but helped toward coming up with a shorter version for Jan. '63.

To be very clear, the reality of the situation is that the film was returned to its 222 premiere version, and then went through a fine cut -- something that DL never had a chance to do -- with some material that had never been seen added.

Also, and this is where it gets interesting, one sequence was removed from the 222, and was not in the 202, but was returned for continuity to the 187, and then back to the 217.

RAH

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
This is all really interesting! Thanks for the reply on it. I hope the new blu-ray has a great featurette on all the work that went into it.
Dare we hope for a commentary track from you, as with the Vertigo DVD? I really enjoyed hearing you discuss various scenes and all the work that went into restoring them!
BR

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Has anyone else noticed that the images on the Amazon site have shots from the film flipped? The two images of the scene prior to the "No Prisoners" sequence are shown incorrectly. Doh!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/120#post_3927024
This is all really interesting! Thanks for the reply on it. I hope the new blu-ray has a great featurette on all the work that went into it.
Dare we hope for a commentary track from you, as with the Vertigo DVD? I really enjoyed hearing you discuss various scenes and all the work that went into restoring them!
BR

No.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/120#post_3927064
Too bad. Everyone's loss. Still, I'm thrilled to see the results on blu-ray soon!

I can guarantee that you'll be thrilled.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It goes without saying.

And I trust there will be no umbrellas or coasters, but if any film is to get another Big Box purchase out of me, for the road, it's this one.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Robert Harris said:
I can guarantee that you'll be thrilled.
I will be thrilled not only having the best possible audio and video but IF the balcony scene is finally completed. I recall that so many years ago you had first discussed this
scene in one of the film magazines at the time of the restoration premiere( in the late 80's) with the hope that one day you would be allowed to complete it and insert it into the film.
In any case the movie going community owes you a huge debt for saving one of the truly landmark film productions!
50 years is a long time to spend with a film as I can vividly recall my first encounter with Lawrence Xmas week, 1962 at the Criterion Theatre in NYC in the midst of a newspaper strike. The Ziegfeld showings in the 80's matched that excitement as did all other 70mm showings over the years at The Ziegfeld. I'm sure that everything that could be done to make this an event Home Theater production has been done.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Paul Rossen /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/120#post_3927149
I will be thrilled not only having the best possible audio and video but IF the balcony scene is finally completed. I recall that so many years ago you had first discussed this
scene in one of the film magazines at the time of the restoration premiere( in the late 80's) with the hope that one day you would be allowed to complete it and insert it into the film.
In any case the movie going community owes you a huge debt for saving one of the truly landmark film productions!
50 years is a long time to spend with a film as I can vividly recall my first encounter with Lawrence Xmas week, 1962 at the Criterion Theatre in NYC in the midst of a newspaper strike. The Ziegfeld showings in the 80's matched that excitement as did all other 70mm showings over the years at The Ziegfeld. I'm sure that everything that could be done to make this an event Home Theater production has been done.

I believe I probably saw it a week or so after you, at the Criterion.

And yes, everything that could be done, has been done.

You're in for a treat. Other than saying that, I can't really discuss.

RAH

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Dear Mr. Harris,
thank you very much for your enlightening comments above. I realize it´s late in the day for new questions re: A/V LOA materials, and maybe these are issues you cannot discuss here, but a couple of things still interest me:
Did DL want to extend Sharif´s entrance in the restoration? According to a direct DL quote somewhere, he originally wanted it longer - his model is apparently the ending of The Third Man - but then "lost his nerve". Is the relevant materials lost?
I remember Lawrence saying in one scene (probably in the cave) that he was "extra-extraordinary". Did DL excise it for the restoration? An early 90s article in Film Comment mentioned this line as a specific example of materials still not restored for the ´89 edition. The line seems not to be in the screenplay (an improvisation?).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Stefan Andersson said:
I remember Lawrence saying in one scene (probably in the cave) that he was "extra-extraordinary". Did DL excise it for the restoration? An early 90s article in Film Comment mentioned this line as a specific example of materials still not restored for the ´89 edition. The line seems not to be in the screenplay (an improvisation?).
That line was repeated in the Balcony sequence, and the repetition was deleted in the DC, leaving a line something like, "Alright, I'm extraordinary. What off it?"

I'm unaware of any line in the cave re: "extra-extraorindary."

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks