What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Brian McP /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/150#post_3928111
Right with you there Eric -- but I don't like Claude Rains, Arthur Kennedy and Omar Sharif's billing on that poster -- it's too small and I don't think, from the studio contract, they may have signed with the studio at the time, that it is correct.
I know some stars would sign on with clauses like their billing names had to be no more than 14pt. high (printing term) in posters and press ads -- there are experts out there who know far more regarding such matters, and I know it is probably the ultimate geek habit to have such a gripe -- but, when it comes to these folks, give credit where the credit is due.
I fear Omar Sharif would have seen this poster -- and seen red, looking at the size of his credit on this poster. I heartily hope he goes after these Cannes or Sony people in case they do use this artwork for the bluray release (artwork that is beautiful and brilliant otherwise) on behalf of Arthur and our beloved Capt. Renaud.
It appears they have taken some "liberties." Movement of Mr. Sharif's credit, as well as bringing Mr. Quayle's up in size and placement.

The original credit block from 1962:

18cf1ab1_600x600px-LL-4dcb914e_tumblr_m46e9gei2E1qaa1wjo1_1280.png

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Robert Harris said:
I wish that were possible. Unfortunately all the publisher's materials and all those 70mm frames I used were destroyed many years ago.
Then it would take a miracle.  
No miracles possible, once it is written! (Thanks to an English site - and a second morgage - I managed to get a copy!)

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
marsnkc said:
No miracles possible, once it is written! (Thanks to an English site - and a second morgage - I managed to get a copy!)
I was lucky enough to pick one up at the time of publication. One of my most treasured items. Cover has gotten a tiny bit worn over the years, but the inside looks brand new.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Crisp is just back from presenting Lawrence at Cannes, and posted the following over at Blu-ray.com in the Penton thread. I was going to simply cut and paste the relevant material, or create a link, but reading it, even sent me to unexpected places, as I was unaware that there was a problem.

This takes "I didn't see this one coming" to a whole new level.

As to "Penton," he has a good thread going. The fact that he isn't a Sony employee hardly seems relevant to the bigger picture. With that fact out of the way, it might even simplify things for him. He obviously enjoys the technical end of things and has things to say. He should continue.

Today, 07:43 PM19886 (permalink)

reelthings
user_online.gif

icon1.gif

I am just now back in Los Angeles this morning from what I think was a successful premiere of our new restoration of Lawrence of Arabia at the Cannes Film Festival. I hope fans of the film will be pleased when they finally get a chance to see it and I appreciate the many comments from readers of this forum who are looking forward to this release on Blu-ray and in theaters. While I have appreciated the friendly and complimentary comments posted on this forum about the work that we do, both by the members and the” insider”, I need to correct a misimpression or two. I was greatly surprised, but also disappointed, to see a video of my participation in a discussion at the most recent CES event used in a way I disagree with on this forum. (See posts 19865 and 19866) The discussion topic is fine and participating in an event like CES means that you at least tacitly approve of recordings and should expect to see yourself all over the place. Still takes some getting used to, though, but fair game and I have no complaints there.
However, since my likeness and comments were used to push what I consider a personal agenda by the “insider”, I must object. The context in which this clip was used was unfortunate in that it linked my comments directly to what I would consider an unfair and misguided criticism of what I presume to be my colleagues, now and in the past, in the photo-chemical laboratory business. It may not have been directly intended as such, and I presume not, but when you recklessly fire a shotgun, you are likely to hit a lot of targets. These are the dedicated technicians who work very hard to restore and preserve our films. Without the many decades of commitment by these people and laboratories, all of whom I work with have embraced newer digital technologies (the ironic and specious assertion of the postings), there would be no such thing as film restoration. We need to keep in mind that the digital techniques employed today for restoration are complimentary to the traditional path of this work, not necessarily the antithesis. Those of us who actually work in this business, and do the work, know this. So, I want to clearly disassociate myself from this curious and misguided digital-photochemical inference.
Since those posts, there have been a few others related to the actual work on LoA. Some of this is accurate, some not. So, I would ask Penton to refrain from speculating about what was or was not done during the year + that we worked on the film here at Colorworks and other companies. Though it is always nice to hear good things said about one’s work, I don’t really want any personal attribution for any of the work as the work itself is what is most important, not personalities. So, I would appreciate it if fans could just be allowed to focus on the film.
Lastly, and most importantly to me, since it is well-known that this “insider” allows readers and members of this forum to assume that he works for the same company that I do, and that he is even a colleague of mine, I now need to set this record straight. The association of the clip he used, plus the casual use of my name in many posts also uncomfortably infers that we are in collaboration to promote my work and “our” company’s work, with all the self-serving implications that entails. Nothing could be further from the truth. There is no association, either through work or personally, with this “insider” and me or the company I work for. None, and I find it embarrassing (to me, him and, frankly, to Blu-ray.com) to have the good and knowledgeable readers and members of this forum think otherwise. We have asked many times of Penton to admit not who he is, but who he is not and clearly he prefers to let readers draw a certain conclusion. I do not bring this up to divulge the true working identity of Penton; that is for him to do if he chooses. But, he does not now and never has worked at my studio, nor with me, and he can continue to say whatever he wants, wherever he wants, pseudonymously so long as that point is clear. Pseudonyms can be useful and even fun, and I used one to post this statement, but they can also be used to obscure the truth. Just because someone is really good at researching topics and looking for quotes on the internet, that alone does not make that someone an expert, nor an insider, nor even a member of this industry. I support and encourage good debate and discussion of any and all topics, but I think it really works best when these things happen under the cloak of honesty, not anonymity. The dedicated readers here deserve better.
Grover Crisp
Executive Vice President
Asset Management, Film Restoration & Digital Mastering
Sony Pictures Entertainment
10202 W. Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think many have been wondering for a long time about
the "validity" of the person claiming to be an "Insider" at Sony.

What a reveal!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/150#post_3928652

What a reveal!

For the record, I presumed I knew which Sony Sr. Exec he was.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/150#post_3928652

What a reveal!

I gotta admit, I stopped reading his thread about 6-8 months ago because something seemed "off", like maybe Penton had been reigned in to some degree or something. But I didn't see THAT coming.

Hilarious.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/150#post_3928656

For the record, I presumed I knew which Sony Sr. Exec he was.

Considering the lengths he went to establish his validity short of actually saying who he was, I don't think anyone can be blamed for assuming he was being honest. This is fairly surprising, and frankly, it's one of the reasons I'm glad that HTF insists formal "insiders" have their real name on their posts (even if it's alongside a username ID).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We do feel a responsibility to our readership here on
Home Theater Forum to make certain there is some
vetting done before we make someone an Insider here.

We certainly don't just take someone's word for it when
they say, "Hey, I work for Sony."

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/150#post_3928669
We do feel a responsibility to our readership here on
Home Theater Forum to make certain there is some
vetting done before we make someone an Insider here.

We certainly don't just take someone's word for it when
they say, "Hey, I work for Sony."

That must be why you came to my office.

Do you pay a visit to everyone?

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/150#post_3928672

RAH,
Yes. Did appreciate your understanding for the blood and hair sample.

You checked out.
Appreciate that. Meeting someone for the first time, and having them place a syringe and scissors on your desk...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Mr. Crisp's post, and a follow-up post have been deleted from the thread at Blu-ray.com.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow.

If I didn't know any better, it looks like Blu-ray.com is trying
to cover their tracks.

I have no doubt that was Grover Crisp.

Why would BD.COM be trying to hide that information?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/150#post_3928691
Wow.

If I didn't know any better, it looks like Blu-ray.com is trying
to cover their tracks.

I have no doubt that was Grover Crisp.

Why would BD.COM be trying to hide that information?

I can confirm that it was Mr. Crisp, as I asked him.

RAH

sharkshark

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Gorber
First of all, how the heck did I not have an account here? I swear I've posted on these threads, must be due to the redesign.
Anyhoo, just heard from a certain JK while I was writing this up - I assume both Bill and RAH can verify that's really Grover...
Sad it's come to this, but so be it. I just know that I can't wait to see LOA when it screens in town in 4K.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Penton says "The situation has been taken care of. I’m saddened that anyone would intentionally try to “blow-up” my thread."
Yeah, right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks