What's new

Which GR Research speaker for classical music? (1 Viewer)

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
I can't decide which of the two following speakers will be better to build for my parents. They will primarily be used for classical music. The GR A/V-1 ported or A/V-3S sealed. The 1 has one woofer but digs deeper. The 3S has 2 woofers but rolls off sooner. Both would be blended with a sub and neither will be pushed too hard. Any idea which would sound better? I'm looking for the best midrange between the two.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FYI - Brian from RAD has a set of A/V-2s for sale in the FS section that might save you some $$, though they are 4 Ohm.

How big is the room? If it's not that big, I'd go with the A/V-1s.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, the a/v-2s are too deep to fit on their shelf. Otherwise, I would have gone that route.

Yeah, I've been starting to lean towards the a/v-1's.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's a pair of A/V-1s in black on Audiogon right now for a pretty good price (same that I paid for my pair). According to the ad, they were purchased fully assembled, so they have all the upgrades. Mine have the older cabinets, old tweeters, new midbasses and Sonicaps.

These guys will still throw out a pretty deep soundstage. I swapped them into my bedroom from surround duty in the main system the other day when I was at home sick and bored, and they sounded great all by themselves. It almost seems a shame to use them as surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.