What's new

Which AV Receiver? (1 Viewer)

GBed

Auditioning
Real Name
Gabriel
Hi everyone, I used to be on this forum years ago but got away with other responsibilities and interests. Recently, my Integra AV receiver (DTR50.2) quit putting out sound from any input. Fortunately, I have insurance from DirectTV to cover audio/video or PC components that malfunction. They found that they were not able to repair my receiver because the part was not available any longer and have offered my choice of 3 receivers to replace my Integra. Not having been involved with my old hobby or getting magazines every month, etc, I have completely lost touch with what is the best way to go these days. I have a 5 speaker surround system and can go with any of the modern surround technologies. I mostly watch DirectTV broadcasts, usually either sports or news or movies. I also use a Blue Ray player and sometimes listen to AM or FM broadcasts. The 3 choices I've been given in receivers are 1) Yamaha RX-A1070BL 2) Onkyo TX-RZ720 3) Denon AVRX3400H. Does anyone have any opinions or questions in helping figure this one out. None of these seem up to the quality of the Integra I had but at this point I'm not complaining. I'm interested in user friendly both for setting up and for using the remote. I like things that last and of course performance. I'm also thinking that low or no distortion at any volume, low or high is important. What say ye? Thanks much!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hmm. Personally I’m wouldn’t be impressed with the “quality” of a receiver in that price range that lasted only six years.

Haven’t specifically used any of those on your list, but IMO Yamaha generally scores high in the “user friendly” department, and typically is a reliable product to boot.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

GBed

Auditioning
Real Name
Gabriel
I agree in that respect, Wayne. Also, the Integra was not quite as user friendly in my opinion either. I've read that the Denon is a good unit to consider and has maybe the best user setup. Do you have any opinions about the Denon?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I would never call Denon 'user friendly' but once you understand it is is pretty easy. It just takes a bit to get what they mean (or maybe it was just me :D).

Before you decide it may be a good idea to download the manuals of all 3 and see which makes the most sense to you.

Also, check out this website: http://batpigworld.com/wp/ It is a bit dated but he does a good job of explaining what Denon means in its menus.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I own a Denon X3300, which is the 2016 version of the X3400H you are considering. The two models are very similar. In my case, I upgraded from an 8 year old Pioneer Elite receiver, and found the Denon very user friendly in comparison. It's Audyssey room correction software did a better job than Pioneer's MCACC application with my setup.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I also own the Denon 3300X. Great Unit with most current sound formats... I also power my speakers with a Parasound External amp. Truly sounds amazing!!!

GBed

Auditioning
Real Name
Gabriel
Just want to report that I did get the new Denon 3400. Although I was a little apprehensive about the setup process, I don't think Denon could have made it any easier and complete with the new mic and onscreen setup that they provide now. It seems like they've gone from the most difficult to setup to the easiest. I'd also like to say, I'm really impressed with the sound I get from movies now. Altogether terrific! I give it 5 stars! Thanks for y'alls help in making this decision!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks