What's new

Can the Phono input on receivers be used for devices that are not turntables? (2 Viewers)

erotavlas

Auditioning
Real Name
Sal
In particular I was looking at the Denon receivers that have a dedicated Phono input on the rear. I took a look at the manual for one of the receivers and it said that to plug in a turntable, the turntable has to use a MM (moving magnet) cartridge and that for low input MC cartridge a separate phono amp needs to be used.

My question is, does this requirement affect the ability to use other devices on this input (i.e. cassette deck, CD player, etc)?

Or is the phono input basically the same as the other analog audio inputs?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can NOT use a phono input for anything else. You also can’t use it for a turntable that has an internal phono preamp. Phono inputs have a dedicated phono preamp circuit with RIAA equalization that is only usable with turntables.

Deanothfc

Auditioning
Real Name
Dean
You can you the Pre-out connections on the back for other equipment such as CD players/Amp etc

Deanothfc

Auditioning
Real Name
Dean
You can NOT use a phono input for anything else. You also can’t use it for a turntable that has an internal phono preamp. Phono inputs have a dedicated phono preamp circuit with RIAA equalization that is only usable with turntables.
Unless the turntable has a by pass switch the same as the turntable I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks