What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Where is the 2 disc R1 Resident Evil? (1 Viewer)

TysonK

Agent
What happened to this release for R1? I held off buying the initial dvd set because the director had said a new 2 disc special edition is in the works.

Tom June

Agent
I'd think it would probably get a release sometime next year. Probably right before RE2 gets released in theaters.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Maybe it'll be a 2-disc SuperBit, just like the Charlie's Angels release before Full Throttle came out.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Any news on this?

RE2 will be out in September so I guess the "Deluxe" edition will be released in August.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I don't think that it will be unrated. The director deliberately kept the film light on gore (for a zombie film, anyway). I heard that they were going for a PG-13, actually. They'd have to add a lot to the original cut of this film to not get an R.

I hope they come out with the special edition soon. I've been holding out on this one for almost two years in anticipation of a better release.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
They could still go for the 'Unrated because it was never submitted for a rating' route like most "unrated" editions do today.

I really doubt that there's anything in the new version of Underworld (for example) that would make it NC-17.

On the audio commentary of the old edition of Resident Evil Michelle Rodriguez complains about the lack of gore and I think that the director says that there isn't any because it was shot for an R rating.

I'll be happy if they just add the (already existing) second audio commentary and the featurettes and the alternate ending from the German edition.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
When the Superbit emerges from its cocoon in all its triple-dipping glory, then I will buy it.
Why don't you buy the Superbit (which was released in 2002) now?

Although I'd read some reviews first because (as always) they say that there's almost no difference in picture quality between the original and the Superbit.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Picture might be the same but the DTS sound track it better, hey has Tristar ever put a DTS track on a NON-Superbit DVD? DTS the the only reason I buy Superbit 90% of the time.

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
I thought that the picture quality was awesome on the Superbit. And the DTS was very nice too.

I got rid of the regular release before I got my HDTV, so I can't say if the picture is the same or not, but the DTS was enough for me.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
I meant when the Superbit DELUXE emerges from its cocoon. Sorry. Forgot that deluxe part. It's deluxe, son! Deluxe!

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Hmmmmm... *pettingmygerman2discrelease
I had that one but sold it on eBay - it didn't have the second audiocommentary and the text at the opening of the movie was in German - they should've done the same thing there that they did for the opening of the Star Wars movies on the German DVDs (using the angle fuction to display the text in either German or English).

The new R1 DVD should have at least the already recorded technical commentary and all the extras from the German edition.

That alone would make it less of a rip-off than the "Deluxe" Spider-Man edition.

Superbit Deluxe is not going to happen (hopefully never again for any title) - because what's "Deluxe" about an edition without audiocommentaries?

I would like an extended edition - but it looks as if there's no material to be cut back in. The director says so on the audio commentary and in an interview that I read before the release of the movie. However in another interview he said that he would like to release an unrated edition - so who knows?

MikeHughes

Agent
Well, to be honest, the german edition leaves nothing for me to be desired(technical- and extra-wise). Resident Evil isn't a movie I need an audio commentary of, not to mention 2 of them. :)

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Any news?

If they're going to release it in time for the sequel then there should be an announcement soon.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
There's another "create your own poster" contest up for RE2, fyi. Winner gets to be turned into a zombie. Not really. But the contest is real.

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing that the movie lacks is enough gore imho.If there is no longer cut of the movie then i see no point in upgrading my superbit version.I always had the idea that there was more explicit violence that was cut from the movie.Is this just an urban myth or what?

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
If they're going to release it in time for the sequel then there should be an announcement soon.
Sven, if they make an anouncement to tie in with the Sept 10 release of RE2, I expect the announcement is at least one month (to six weeks) away if they play to release a 2-disc RE for September in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks