What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I did a quick search and found that I have House on Telegraph Hill, Fourteen Hours, and Tension. I've been working to expand my Film Noir/Crime/Suspense collection during the past year. All though I haven't watched any of those yet. I guess I have plenty to look forward to :)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
A Blu-Ray release would probably actually be pretty simple. From what I remember, Kevin Burns has the prints "remastered in HD." All they would need to do is make the BDs from the current prints. Although a remix of the sound in Deadly Amphibians is in order. Also, the music for the main theme in A Time to Die needs to be repaired.

Other than that, kill bonus material would include next weeks previews, sponsor and network bumpers and ABC promos.

If LiS does well, I'd imagine a BD release of the rest would be a better possibility.

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
Mark Collins said:
Well hope the Seaview and Time Tunnel will get the blu-ray treatment as this thread was created for.

Who at 20th Century Fox can we call or write to extend our push for Voyage on Blu-Ray.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Richard%20Basehart%20502%202-28-13.jpg

I've already contacted these people a month ago requesting both VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67).

But here is the FOX CONNECT contact webpage as requested by Karl:

http://www.foxconnect.com/contacts/

Obviously there are no plans at present so there is no point in asking for such. But what I did say was that these two were my favourite Irwin Allen produced 1960s SF tv series and how much I would like to see both made available on blu-ray some day.

They're good people and they will acknowledge your request.

We don't have to press too hard on this. Just politely express your interest in such. Simple.

Good Luck! Good Luck to us all.

Jeff T.

:D

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
ScottRE said:
A Blu-Ray release would probably actually be pretty simple. From what I remember, Kevin Burns has the prints "remastered in HD." All they would need to do is make the BDs from the current prints. Although a remix of the sound in Deadly Amphibians is in order. Also, the music for the main theme in A Time to Die needs to be repaired.

Other than that, kill bonus material would include next weeks previews, sponsor and network bumpers and ABC promos.

If LiS does well, I'd imagine a BD release of the rest would be a better possibility.

I like your thinking Scott! I would love to have the blu-ray just as you described. I hope this does happen.

Karl, James Finn from 20th Century Fox has posted here last week. Perhaps he will notice this thread and take back our requests to the studio.

Brad, The Black Book is another good movie from Basehart. Friday all day and night TCM has Film Noir in June and July. Finger of Guilt has never been released and I plan to record that one.

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
ScottRE said:
Although a remix of the sound in Deadly Amphibians is in order.
Interesting that you mention this. I find that frequency responce or any depth to the sound is missing on this episode. I figured it was just me and my particular disk. All the sound is there but the highs and lows with any depth are missing. Is this what you are experiencing and how about the rest of you on your copy of "Deadly Amphibians".

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
smithbrad said:
I ordered "He Walked by Night" a few months ago from Amazon.de, but it was lost in transit. Still hoping for the replacement to get here so I can watch it.

I thought about the German edition because it's progressive and has a higher bitrate, but I already have the MGM one and thought it looked pretty good. If the German one had more extras, especially a trailer, I definitely would have gone for it and just lived with the PAL speedup.

I agree with Mark about Basehart, he was always excellent, no matter what the material. I recently saw a terrible print in full screen of the 1955 modern western, CANYON CROSSROADS and even with the quality working against it, I still enjoyed it.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Professor Echo said:
I thought about the German edition because it's progressive and has a higher bitrate, but I already have the MGM one and thought it looked pretty good. If the German one had more extras, especially a trailer, I definitely would have gone for it and just lived with the PAL speedup.

I would have gone for the MGM one but it costs $28 new while the German edition was just $11 US shipped.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
smithbrad said:
I would have gone for the MGM one but it costs $28 new while the German edition was just $11 US shipped.
I had a feeling that was the case. The MGM one was dirt cheap for awhile, but as it always happens, a title goes OOP and skyrockets. You still got a great quality copy though, better looking than the MGM according to Beaver, and Koch always does a good job with their still galleries.

Wish this would come out on Blu, but being a public domain title I'm not sure who would invest in a solid transfer that anyone could then copy and sell themselves.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
KarlB737 said:
Interesting that you mention this. I find that frequency responce or any depth to the sound is missing on this episode. I figured it was just me and my particular disk. All the sound is there but the highs and lows with any depth are missing. Is this what you are experiencing and how about the rest of you on your copy of "Deadly Amphibians".

I think I know what's wrong with the sound mastering in that episode. If you'll recall, when 20th released VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA on DVD, they provided several audio tracks. Usually it was English Mono, English Stereo, French Mono, and Spanish Mono. On some discs/episodes, the Spanish is missing, but it is the English Stereo that I'm going to refer to.

This kind of stereo - fake stereo - is generated by tweaking the mono audio in two different ways. Generally, one channel has more highs, the other more lows, and sometimes there's a slight delay to give it an echoey effect. By itself, neither of the two channels sound correct - or good - but played together, it can provide a semi-pleasing experience. (Think Capitol Records fake stereo on early Beatles records.)

I think that when they mastered "Deadly Amphibians", they might have taken one of the two wonky "stereo" channels and fed it to the mono, giving the audio at times a rather hollow sound. Add to that the fact that Don Matheson's costume had his vocalizations muffled and the whole episode comes off rather poor sounding.

Just a theory.

Harry

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
JeffT. said:
9d67e1dd_voyagetobottom.png

"This is the Seaview, the most extraordinary submarine in all the Seven Seas. Its public image is that of an instrument of marine research. In actuality, it is the mightiest weapon afloat, and is secretly assigned to the most dangerous missions against the enemies of mankind.

In command of the Seaview, Captain John Phillips. And in overall charge of scientific projects, the creator and builder of the fabulous ship, Admiral Harriman Nelson.

This is the Seaview's top-secret submarine base. It is carved out of solid rock, and is located on the Southern California coast, five hundred feet beneath the famed Nelson Institute of Marine Research. Few men know of its existence, and fewer men even suspect its purpose.
"--Dick Tufeld (opening narration from the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA pilot episode entitled "Eleven Days to Zero.").

"Seaview's job is never finished. As long as there are evil forces in the world, as long there are secrets of nature to be probed, believe me, there will be work for us...on missions just as vital and dangerous as this one."--Admiral Harriman Nelson (Richard Basehart).

"(Admiral) Nelson brilliant scientist and visionary is portrayed by Richard Basehart an actor as gifted and complex as his fictional creation. Basehart's skill creates the Nelson who could conceive the vessel (The Seaview), raise the funding to build it and prevent it from becoming military property. (20th Century) Fox special effects veteran L.B. Abbott won two Emmy Awards for his work on this series. The pilot's music and series' evocative title theme (heard during the episode's end credits) were composed by Paul Sawtell. David Hedison...effectively establishes Captain Lee Crane as a sensitive driven career officer. Basehart and Hedison would work effectively together throughout the series."--Allan Asherman (liner notes from the Columbia House VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA Collector's Edition series tape one).

How much longer are we going to have to wait for a (long overdue) DVD release of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68)?

Now that plans have apparently be fructified on the next two volumes of the LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68) second season DVD sets both scheduled for a September 14th and a November 30th release dates respectively when is 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment going to give us some definite news about the other Irwin Allen tv franchises?

Already in the U.K. a DVD release of LOST IN SPACE's third season (1967-68) has been announced for January 2005 and customers are being asked about what other Irwin Allen 1960s SF they'd also like to see made available next.

Why is the U.K. seemingly getting all this preferential treatment on the part of 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment? Do you mean to tell me the the U.K. market is greater than the combined markets of the U.S. and Canada?

I don't think so! Fox actually considers this a good business strategy to focus on a smaller market base?

I think it's high time that Peter Staddon gave us some straight answers (here and now) to some direct questions about the future status of the other Irwin Allen tv franchises...and fast!

And I don't want to hear what Mr. Staddon has said about this sensitive topic in the past but what he has to say right now!

For Pete's sake 2004 marks the 40th Anniversary of the ABC-TV network debut of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA on September 14th, 1964 and can anyone think of a more fitting tribute to this landmark and (enormously) popular SF fan favourite than a DVD release at long last?

VOYAGE RULES!

Jeff T.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but this show was a steaming pile,.and then some (although Season One showed some promise.)

I can think of better shows from the same period that could be on DVD, like East Side/West Side, Breaking Point, The Eleventh Hour, Coronet Blue and a few others.

As for why the UK's getting LIS's season III before North America, I can only guess rights issues there being different than here in North America, but another possible reason is how cheesy the show is compared to Star Trek-TOS & Star Trek-TNG in North America, or that considering how (for example) the Blu-Ray of Star Trek-TNG didn't catch on sales wise, Fox is taking a 'wait and see' approach before committing to a third season box set here.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Sky Captain said:
I'm sorry to be blunt, but this show was a steaming pile,.and then some (although Season One showed some promise.)

I can think of better shows from the same period that could be on DVD, like East Side/West Side, Breaking Point, The Eleventh Hour, Coronet Blue and a few others.

As for why the UK's getting LIS's season III before North America, I can only guess rights issues there being different than here in North America, but another possible reason is how cheesy the show is compared to Star Trek-TOS & Star Trek-TNG in North America, or that considering how (for example) the Blu-Ray of Star Trek-TNG didn't catch on sales wise, Fox is taking a 'wait and see' approach before committing to a third season box set here.

I'm not sure why "Sky Captain" chose the inaugural post of this thread to quote. It's more than a decade old, so its facts are all anachronistic. As most of us know (perhaps not "Sky Captain" as he's obviously not an Irwin Allen-type fan), VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA went on to be released in eight volumes, LOST IN SPACE got its DVD releases and is weeks away from coming out in Blu-ray, and the thrust of this thread (and it's title) has been turned into a desire for Blu-rays of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA along with another Irwin Allen property THE TIME TUNNEL.

So, Sky Captain, I would advise you to pay closer attention to the stuff you're quoting. This post did not flatter you.

Harry

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Two times in two days. A curmudgeon in this thread, and a couple of others in the Ozzie & Harriet thread. Why people consistently feel the need to thread crap is beyond me. If you don't like a show, please stay out of threads that are dedicated to that show. Is that too much to ask?

Gary "oy vey" O.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
voyage-to-the-bottom-of-the-sea2.jpg

"We were the beginning of something that you really didn't see much of. We were before LOST IN SPACE, STAR TREK, THE TIME TUNNEL and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. I think we were the first series of this type and we had a great audience."--David Hedison.

That's a very nice picture of the Seaview! I'm impressed.

This discussion thread was never, never intended to make anyone unhappy. At the time I (probably) felt that no one was going to do it so I did. In retrospect I'm very surprised that I never started a discussion thread on THE INVADERS first. But fortunately someone else did and I (enthusiastically) supported it. My message posting history here can be (thoroughly) scrutinized and you will see that I only participate in the discussion threads to offer support...not criticism (or to be disruptive)! But that's (to my credit) my nature to help out if I can.

Television programming is widely diverse and we are not going to necessarily like the same tv series. Taste is a very personal thing.

I'm (very much) like you in the sense that there are shows discussed here which I (absolutely) abhor. But why upset myself dwelling on them? Life is way too short. For some much shorter than they realize.

I (selectively) participate in the discussion threads that interest me. What I don't care about I (rationally) ignore. Simple. I don't feel threatened or distraught that other's may not appreciate the same things that I do. Frankly I have always wanted to feel that (somehow) I am unique (or distinctive) from others. That's always been very important to me.

I (well) understand you. It is very frustrating to appreciate something and not have access to it. As far as STAR TREK TNG is concerned you will see it completed. The fault (or problem) lies with the instability pricing of the bluray medium not the show. People are (still) not yet ready to pay out what is being asked. And who is too blame them? The consumer (wisely) wants some measure of control in this (and not be ruthlessly exploited). But (at least) here in this (specific) discussion thread we are not looking at "tomorrow" per se but the (impending) future. Sometimes progress can take time.

I have said things that have been very unpopular myself. But this (usually) has to do with poor manufacture not the tv show (or film) itself. I (stubbornly) feel that quality shouldn't be compromised (nor should one's expectations). And the biggest struggles (or battles) always have to do with the "older" television shows. And not just getting this stuff out but in "reasonable" (if not excellent) condition in a properly handled (or suitable) software format.

The (forthcoming) LOST IN SPACE 50th ANNIVERSARY COMPLETE SERIES BLU-RAY EDITION is pre-ordering for around $99 (U.S.) which is cheap (through a fluke some were able to order it for $69). And (if continued) that's what will make (specifically) the Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series competitive against whatever other options there may be (especially for those who like to get extra value for their money albeit one shouldn't be too stingy on this). There will always be those who want to actually (physically) own these things.

Even among Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series fans we don't necessarily agree on what we like. Each program was individually conceived (or intended) for a different sector of the television viewing audience demographic.

But VOYAGE's place in history is assured. At the time it was doing things that its contemporaries weren't. It influenced what came after it. VOYAGE served as entertainment for those professionals working in the industry today (particularly those involved in the production of SF films and tv series). It was (very) popular in its day and (probably) even more so now (globally speaking). That is the criteria for greatness. Whether (true) art can stand the test of Time.

But more importantly in the grand scheme of things I love 1960s SF tv series in general. And this (collectively) encompasses (exciting) stuff like THE TWILIGHT ZONE, THE OUTER LIMITS, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA , STAR TREK (the original), THE TIME TUNNEL and THE INVADERS. All still very well-familiar. These (pioneering) shows took the very fabric of "conventional" television and tore it w-i-d-e open (for its betterment). If it wasn't for all of these (now) illustrious programs there wouldn't be the kind of SF-premised shows that are (readily) enjoyed at present. No chance!

I've said this before and I will repeat it. In the 1960s it wasn't every day that one could turn on the television set and see Visitors from Other Planets or Travellers in Time. SF is a very unique and special branch of storytelling (or entertainment if you prefer). For my "youthful" sensibilities (at the time) this was fascinating. And I still feel the same way. In the 21st Century I think that these tv shows are more relevant (and appreciated) than ever. And always will be.

(I just recently said this in my own TIME TUNNEL-themed discussion forum) Irwin Allen had his own (refreshingly) unique take on his SF tv series that set them distinctively apart from his contemporaries. Obviously his approach resonated. It cannot be denied (that even today) people (everywhere on this planet) still love these shows:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/timetunnelfanforum/info

tumblr_mq7umi9p0A1sqf5tdo4_1280.jpg

Jeff T.

:D

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Sorry to be a bit off topic here. I just wanted to state I watched last night a great Basehart movie I ordered from Amazon last week. Time Limit. He was outstanding in the role based on a play. I also liked the Twilight Zone episode and the two part Combat role. I have Cry Wolf which you can also buy but I recorded it off TCM. He has a small role in that film.

I envy Glen having Canyon Crossroads.

Voyage has had it's detractors before and always will but I have found since airing on METV the popularity of the show seems to have increased from it's syndication days on local stations. The show has found a new generation of viewers.

The thoughts expressed against the show and Irwin Allen were uncalled for. I thank my good friend Harry for stepping up to the plate and speaking for us all.

Mark Collins

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Maybe a children's primer on how to properly use HTF is in order. Remember kids, the posts are in order and there is a date posted for each one which is a very special tool that indicates exactly when the post was made. From there you can actually keep reading and see what we like to call a "discussion" develop about the subject that was first started way back at the beginning. Oh, all sorts of magical things can happen as you follow along and eventually find your way to today! Let's all try it together, shall we?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks