What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jeff this year as I do every year I watch all 4 season starting in the fall. Starting each season at the same time and watching all 4 seasons at the same time. I end them in the late spring. I love this show and see it's ups and downs. Richard Basehart is so good in the role I have begun to record episodes from other series after he left Voyage and before. As I said in LIS thread I was surprised to see Chip in just one clip from City Beneath the Sea.

I want a BD of Voyage time will tell. I know their FB series page is going strong, So who knows what will happen.

I will shelve the show over the summer and once again bring out Seaview as I do every year to entertain me through out a long cold Midwest winter.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
sea22.jpg

When one talks about the "downs" of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) pretty much all of its weaknesses can be found in the fourth season (1967-68). It's here where its all time worst episode can be found. The aptly named "The Terrible Leprechaun" (07/01/1968). Terrible indeed! This is "The Great Vegetable Rebellion" (28/02/1968) of VOYAGE. It's bad because it isn't what VOYAGE fans wanted to see. Ironically this is what was chosen to finish this great show's primetime network run on ABC-TV with a final telecast on Sunday, September 15th, 1968. I know because I saw it. It was almost as if the memory of VOYAGE was trying to be destroyed so that LAND OF THE GIANTS (ABC 1968-70) its replacement could have a better chance of being accepted.

And in reference to "The Great Vegetable Rebellion" this is one of the LIS episodes that was selected for an audio commentary with the cast (in the forthcoming bluray release)!

This is why I am telling you that VOYAGE fans (or even THE TIME TUNNEL fans for that matter) and LIS fans are (generally) poles apart in their appreciation for there respective tv shows.

If I were (sensibly) handling things (for a prospective VOYAGE bluray release) you would not see an audio commentary for "The Terrible Leprechaun."

A much better finale would have been a final telecast of "Man Beast" (18/02/1968). But once again there are always (adverse) "politics" involved in this kind of decision making.

When I talk about the fourth season of VOYAGE it (generally) suffers (like LOST IN SPACE did in its third season) from severe budget cuts. The very moment LAND OF THE GIANTS (temporarily) began production during this period all money was siphoned off in its making. If one understands (and knows) the chronology it shows.

The same thing previously happened with THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67). In retrospect one just can't produce so many high demand television shows all-at-once on the cheap without sacrificing quality somewhere.

Finally, when I (personally) am talking about "my" favourite 1960s SF-premised tv shows I'm referring to stuff like THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64), THE OUTER LIMITS (ABC 1963-65), VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68), THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67), STAR TREK (NBC 1966-69), THE AVENGERS (ABC 1966-69) and THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68). Programs (generally) more conceived for the "adult" tv viewing audience in mind. Series with much more of a hard-hitting edge to them.

These programs are not for the "comfort" television crowd.

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Not in January. But I have no Irish ancestry myself so maybe I'm missing the point here. I once discussed this with my late sister and she said that New York City-born Irwin Allen probably had some Irish ancestry in his "mixed" background and maybe this story had a special appeal to him.

But seriously (objectively speaking) if one is going to do a storyline on "mythical" legends and characters then leprechauns on a show like VOYAGE is not the way to go about it. Sheesh!

But certain (now) old television series are "popular" because they're now "good-for-a-laugh" type of entertainment.

This is an inherent problem with the Irwin Allen produced 1960s SF tv series.

Speaking on behalf of VOYAGE (and THE TIME TUNNEL) fans we tend to (or try to) take our favourite programs more seriously...albeit it isn't always easy!

doc_doomsday12.jpg

Jeff T.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Fans of Voyage may enjoy this link.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/664999883618015/?fref=nf

I have to say I enjoy all seasons of Voyage. I think that there are some very good episodes in each season. They are not all monster driven. In fact season 4 seemed to be headed back to it's roots. I have many episodes that I enjoyed in season 3 and 4 which some people seem to hate.

I was always told that Irwin put no monster episodes in each of the last seasons to please Richard. I think if it had gone on to Season 5 as they had planned you would have seen more of the non monster episodes.

I always love how one friend of mine that I have known since the age of 5 bought Voyage season 1 and asked me " where were the monsters that I loved" and I really enjoyed that.

I always remember too how my good friend Harry used to tease me about the terrible leprechaun and stating "Mark said it's was his favorite episode". I just love all Voyage and Basehart grounds the Voyage episodes no matter how silly some may think they were. The Haunted Sub was one of Richards favorites and I love that one myself. His talk with the Chief is one of my favorites moments in the show.

Man Beast and the talk between Richard and David is another favorite moment.

I also love the Mummy as a guilty pleasure. I love how Richard looks into the camera at the end of the show. I could site many from each season.

The last 3 Voyage episodes of Voyage before it ends are quite good I thought. Like the cast said they thought they were renewed just like the Time Tunnel thought it was renewed the year before.

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
JeffT. said:
When one talks about the "downs" of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) pretty much all of its weaknesses can be found in the fourth season (1967-68).

One of my favorite episodes actually comes from the fourth season. It is titled "Man Of Many Faces". In my opinion when this episode hit the air I found it refreshing. No monsters coupled with a mystery and an excellent music score to boot. Most every scene was produced in what I will call a serious tone. A false charge against Nelson coupled with a believable and creative way to get him safely away. When viewed for the first time it really keeps the viewer guessing as to who is a regular character in the cast and who has been "made up" or disguised.

And again it seemed to me that each individual scene had its own specially prepared music score to enhance the action as it happened. This episode showed me and probably a lot of other viewers that with realistic writing you can produce what I will call a "high level" story.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
richard_basehart_hedison_voyage.jpg

"Just found out VOYAGE (TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA) is being pulled from the schedule. A great shame. Not the biggest fan of Irwin Allen shows, but of the lot, I find this to be the best, and in fact quite a decent show. It is the very first time I've ever had the chance to watch it. If you must drop something, I would rather you drop LOST IN SPACE, which I find pretty unwatchable, even its less campy 1st season, which I'll consider maybe just tolerable--just."

"Bring back VOYAGE, Bring back VOYAGE, Bring back VOYAGE, LOST IN SPACE doesn't cut it, not in this time slot!"

"I too am disappointed that they are removing VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA from Saturday's line-up. At least VOYAGE had 4 seasons worth of episodes whereas LOST IN SPACE only has 3. I would have preferred LOST IN SPACE take a hiatus rather than VOYAGE."

"I agree with Andrew. Don't get rid of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA. Better show than WONDER WOMAN, LOST IN SPACE and BATMAN."

"I agree with everyone here. Please put VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA back on the air. Much better than WONDER WOMAN and LOST IN SPACE for that matter."

"I agree with you all. VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA is head-and-shoulders above WONDER WOMAN and LOST IN SPACE. Please reconsider putting it back in your Saturday program line-up. It would also be nice to see season 4!"

--Viewers protesting the (initial) cancellation of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) from the ME-TV programming schedule.

(As I've surely must have said before) To stir the slumbering giant! All these people (certainly) know what their favourite Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series is.

I am pleased (and appreciative) to see such loyalty to VOYAGE from Mark and Karl because believe me it's going to be needed for a (hopeful) blu-ray upgrading.

And this is a certainty because of the high cost for high definition restoration it is most definitely going to be one Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series at-a-time (if at all).

Pertaining to the fourth season (1967-68) I was merely addressing a single segment that I have no sympathy-interest in just to acknowledge the show's weaknesses-mistakes. And I (most definitely) don't want the selfsame errors committed by focusing on such an episode for special attention as in the LIS bluray collection (ie. "The Promised Planet" and "The Great Vegetable Rebellion").

VOYAGE ended on a (more than) satisfactory note with the final production of "No Way Back" (31/03/1968).

Yes (with the exception of author Jon Abbott) what VOYAGE fan doesn't like "Man of Many Faces" (29/10/1967)? This is what (most definitely) should be considered for special attention (as representative of the fourth season) to be sure. Not surprisingly it was one of the highest rated fourth season shows despite being held back in the broadcast inventory.

Pertaining to the third season (1966-67) overall it has a slickness and vitality (on the part of everyone involved) that is starting to dissipate in the fourth season. There isn't a single episode that "looks" bad however questionable the story material may have been at times.

In the fourth season one can see "cheapness" setting in (ie. the lamentable looking extraterrestrial in "The Lobster Man" which is primarily a recycled design revamped and repainted from "Journey with Fear"). This sort of thing never happened in the third season.

I do have to say this though that Vic Lundin gave a commendable performance (in "The Lobster Man") considering what he had to put up with wearing that cumbersome guise!

In certain ways year three is a comedown from the first two "powerhouse" VOYAGE seasons but in my own sensibilities it is a reflection-reminder-artifact of just how exciting the 1966-67 television season really was.

STAR TREK (NBC 1966-69), THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67), THE GREEN HORNET (ABC 1966-67) and THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) all made their auspicious debuts here.

It was during this (spectacular) television season that THE FUGITIVE (ABC 1963-67), THE WILD WILD WEST (CBS 1965-69) and THE AVENGERS (ABC 1966-69) all made their respective debuts in colour.

But please don't be distressed by my (more) "critical" (or frank) assessment because I can think of a lot more worst episodes of LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68) in number to be sure (not wanting to offend anyone). For the time it was in primetime VOYAGE had a respectable batting average of success. And quite frankly the "best" of VOYAGE is quite exceptional.

I want to make myself clear on this. My opinion is not an indictment against LIS. I just don't consider it as good as either VOYAGE or THE TIME TUNNEL. And more importantly I (especially) don't like these two shows always taking a "back seat" to it in recognition and attention. Both VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL are formidably appreciated in their own right. It is erroneous (and absurd) to believe otherwise. I feel that it is my responsibility to make this known and understood. This is why I started this discussion thread in the first place.

Jeff T.

:D

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jeff what I meant to say was that I had read that Irwin gave in to Richards requests for more sub stories in the last two seasons. Blow Up Rescue and Edge of Doom are really good episodes and I even like Deadly Dolls with the great Vincent Price.

I love day of evil death watch the end of the world even the deadly cloud and believe it or not the deadly toys which was one Irwin's favorites. Cloud as you know featured the original actor that played Ben Hur.

Some monster episodes are well done. The Thing from Inner Space is Men Fish of course but for me Voyage has always been about the dialog. Guest stars too can really pull of some good episodes. I just like it when it is the Crew of the Seaview up against terriable odds. I also like the way most episodes end with a humorous line. So those that said Irwin did not allow humor in the show are wrong on that point. Sometimes there are even a few jokes in the show.

I will not go on about Tunnel Giants and LIS because this is the Voyage thread. The reason though Vegy Rebellion is getting an audio is because it is a fan favorite. I believe it was back in 97 when ever the Jupiter was to take off SyFy Channel ran a fan favorite back to back special of episodes and that was one. So I believe that is why it has been chosen.

Last I shall say about LIS because I am buying the show. Sorry I watched it too but because of Batman missed many episodes.

Time Tunnel and Voyage are still my all time favorites. Grandma and I never would miss on episode but Grandma was also a Star Trek fan but for some reason I was not until the movies came out. Then I was an adult.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Hedison-Midline-3.jpg

"We were the beginning of something that you really didn't see much of. We were before LOST IN SPACE, STAR TREK, THE TIME TUNNEL and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. I think we were the first series of this type and we had a great audience."--David Hedison.

Now read David Hedison's comments on the chronology of the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) because he (well) understands and explains its importance in the history of SF Television.

David Hedison always expressed his dissatisfaction with the "monsters" (at the time) but when VOYAGE started it dealt a lot with political intrigue and espionage. As the second season (1965-66) progressed about midway VOYAGE was moving more-and-more toward SF-fantasy to its betterment. The show was broadening its storyscape perimeters. What David Hedison is saying is that he wasn't really that comfortable with SF. And VOYAGE is a SF tv series. It always was even with the 1961 feature film.

These so called "monster" shows involve Vagaries of Nature, Scientific Research and Extraterrestrial Contact...SF! This is what younger forward thinking "new wave" VOYAGE fans (enthusiastically) respond to.

Even in the realm of Spyfi the VOYAGE pilot "Eleven Days to Zero" (14/09/1964) innovatively brought precedents never before attempted on television (ie. when the undercover enemy operative spray paints an "X" on the roof the limousine carrying Admiral Nelson and Captain Phillips).

Having seen it on digitally remastered DVD I'm sure that David Hedison has attained much more respect for it.

Hopefully because of its ahead-of-its-time stature, popularity and importance to the SF genre we will be able to (successfully) have VOYAGE advanced to the bluray medium where it rightly belongs.

Jeff T.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The one thing about Irwin was that he hated as I have said on this thread before to have time tunnel scheduled by ABC up against LIS. The other Land of the Giants was suppose to air mid week with Voyage set for it's 5th season.

The end as they always say was history. The choice to dump Voyage for Giants and he chose to Giants. The thing is the last Giants episode aired with the Seaview missile room and some other props. The other was that Irwin started Voyage in 64 and Giants ended in 70. So his brand of shows lived on past all the others. City Beneath the Sea I think had a good chance but NBC did not bite even though ABC had a bite at the apple first.

I just watched tonight 3 of my favorite non monster episodes from season 4.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
vttbots4+(2).jpg

"A man's survival can take many shapes. And the shape in which a man finds his humanity is not always a human one."--The closing epilogue narrative from THE OUTER LIMITS (ABC 1963-65) episode entitled "The Chameleon" (27/04/1964) teleplay by Robert Towne, story credited to Robert Towne, Lou Morheim and Joseph Stefano, directed by Gerd Oswald.

I have no problem with "monsters." As a youngster I grew up watching the Universal Pictures classic horror films on television and THE OUTER LIMITS tv series.

It is very presumptuous of Man to (specifically) refer to extraterrestrials as monsters. Lifeforms in the Universe are going to "physically" radically differ from humans. They are (generally) not going to look like us.

This is an ironic aspect of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) for a SF-premised tv program that was (supposedly) Earth-bound I think that its depiction of life in the Universe was much more impressive and extensive than most anything that what was generally showcased on LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68) albeit a lot of VOYAGE's best creations would (ultimately) find their way onto LIS.

An interesting episode is "Journey with Fear" (15/10/1967) which took the VOYAGE storyscapes to another planet entirely. I am more tolerant of the fourth season (1967-68) than I originally was although I have always maintained a (lingering) bitterness and resentment over the cancellation of THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) and this tended to (negatively) colour my feelings thereafter.

In the early 1960s it wasn't every day that one could turn on the television set and see "Visitors from Other Planets" or "Travellers in Time" (which is what David Hedison was pretty much saying when discussing the importance of VOYAGE).

As evinced from Karl's message posting it seems that world of the 21st Century is only now just catching up with the technology displayed on VOYAGE.

Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
seaview.jpg

I have always been (very) pleased and appreciative that both VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL were made available in quality DVD releases (albeit some were disatisfied with the double-sided disc pressings but the image quality was consistently superb) and have never taken either benefaction for granted. I never tire of them!

Because both are exciting (highly) entertaining SF shows I am really looking forward to (possible) bluray upgradings.

There are those who believe it's unlikely but I (honestly) think that it will happen. These shows and their enduring interest out there pretty much speak for itself. This is the 21st Century and this is "futuristic" entertainment for today's futuristic-oriented tv audiences. To say (or think) that it won't happen is to deny progress. To refute change and advancement. To not move forward. These are "advanced" television programming (well ahead of their time) perfectly suitable for an advanced home entertainment technology (ie. bluray).

With the eminent bluray release of LOST IN SPACE people are already wondering and asking: What about VOYAGE? What about THE TIME TUNNEL? (Even) What about THE INVADERS?! This is perfectly natural (and reasonable) as one pretty much leads to another.

The-Time-Tunnel-photo.jpg

Jeff T.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I know this off topic and our quest to see Voyage in BD. I just thought I would make mention of this task I have been doing. I would say over the past few years I have tried and this year finished my Richard Basehart movie collection. What I mean is. I have recorded most of the unreleased TV shows I could find and bought most of the movies out there. The few I have not bought I have recorded off TCM with Finger of Guilt coming up on July 6th. The Satan Bug in HD this fall from what they say I will certainly purchase.

I love to pop one of Richards movies in over the summer while the Seaview is in dry dock. Basehart is such a great actor and once again is not going to he honored when TCM does Summer Under the Stars.

I just hope they get wise some day and do honor him.

Well hope the Seaview and Time Tunnel will get the blu-ray treatment as this thread was created for.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Brad that is one of Richards best films. I can watch that movie over and over again. The movie became the concept for the TV series Dragnet. I hope we get Moby Dick this year from Twilight Time. Another company is supposed to do a restoration from what I read here.

After getting Battlestar Galactica in blu-ray all I thought was how great Voyage would look.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Never seen it myself, but i have high hopes. Glad to hear it is one of his best. I'd definitely pick up Moby Dick through TT if/when released.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Brad, House on Telegraph Hill is really good. I first saw that movie as a kid on the late late show. Richard stars with his soon to be wife Valentina Cortesa. 14 Hours is great with a young Grace Kelly and of course the Oscar nominated film for best picture Decision Before Dawn is great entertainment.

The TV roles. I love the two part Combat episode which I picked up along with the Twilight Zone episode which is very much like Voyage. I bought each of the two best of series on the cheap as I am not a fan of either series. Gunsmoke in color is another great role where Richard plays a sea captain and many other series.

The one he was most proud of was The Andersonville Trial which aired on TV and can be had at Amazon.

Back to Fox bring us Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea in blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks