What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have only the finale for season 3 left just about to wrap up season 1. Not many left in season 4 or season 2. I bet I have a 12 left if I count them. I really have went through a lot of Voyage this year.

I liked the Wax men with Michael Dunn better this time around. The episode had music cues never used before on the show or again. David Hedison and Michael Dunn were really the only two that carried the episode. I wonder how David liked working with Michael?

Deadly Cloud the next one really was not a bad episode either. Season 3 gets blasted a great deal by fans but there really are some good stories in that season.

I enjoyed the Exile from season 1 last week and as I said watching the episodes in order I only have I think 4 left.

I also watched Escape From Venice and The Left Handed Man which has always been a favorite from season 2 this week.

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
Mark Collins said:
I think if it sells well Voyage and Time Tunnel could be next. I would put down the cash whatever the cost for both series.

Are we at the point where our thread title should be changed to read:

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blue-Ray Release?!!!!!

JeffT.

Deceased Member
voycrewcontrol.jpg

Well anything attempted will require more effort than the last time.

In addition to new high definition transfers as befitting the bluray medium there are a lot of bonus material like the inclusion of the original "In Colour" pre-teaser bumpers for all the third (1966-67) and fourth season (1967-68) episodes.

The decoratively handled mid-episode bumpers.

Originally both Richard Basehart and David Hedison (alternatingly) would alert viewers to "some exciting scenes from next week's episode".

Not to mention the next week previews themselves.

I'd like to see the colour pilot VOYAGE pilot "Eleven Days to Zero" (14/09/1964) have its genuine main opening title restored.

These would the be the "icing" on the cake that would attract (renewed) interest and support.

Jeff T.

:D

JeffT.

Deceased Member
3515772608_173e59e0bc.jpg

Irwin Allen the (technical) visionary!

A clear example of life imitating art.

This comes from "Fox" News so I hope that the company itself is paying attention and well appreciates-understands the importance-interest of the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) tv series.

It can only help "our" cause!

Thank you for the notification.

vatbots333.jpg

Jeff T.

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
KarlB737 said:
I think if it sells well Voyage and Time Tunnel could be next. I would put down the cash whatever the cost for both series.

Are we at the point where our thread title should be changed to read:

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blue-Ray Release?!!!!!

Well I didn't think my suggestion would become a reality this fast but I'm glad its done. Now for the question that remains on the table. What will it take to get Voyage the TV series on Blue-Ray? If we remember back I think many here in this forum pestered 20th Century Fox generally speaking. Also if I remember correctly there was a man at Fox that was sincerely interested in achieving the goal of getting Voyage on DVD. I think he left which may have created partially the delay in the final Season Four set.

I guess its time to begin contacting Fox and express our interest. What do you think?

JeffT.

Deceased Member
lc020406.JPG

I've said in this in my (THE) TIME TUNNEL discussion forum and I'll repeat myself here that we don't want a simple replication of the current video transfers (which are good) onto the bluray medium.

Myself I would like to see all the nice additions (incorporated into the episodes as originally telecast) included this time around like all the fantastic bumpers, next week previews and tv promos:

This show positively rocks! We will never see its like again.

I would also like to see "quality" audio commentaries that intelligently, informatively (and meaningfully) discuss the really "good" episodes.

With VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) it is a completely different audience here and should be (properly) handled accordingly.

Will this (or can this) be done? Who knows?

But it was successfully accomplished with THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64) which made the transition from "standard" DVD to the bluray medium (the latter with all of its previously excluded embellishments) so there is hope on this.

I'm sure it is on 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment's mind but it certainly wouldn't hurt to show some interest and (politely) ask.

THE TIME TUNNEL would be the logical one next because it is just a single season (not to mention that 2016 marks its 50th anniversary).

But either way with VOYAGE or THE TIME TUNNEL it is a win-win situation. Something really to look forward to!

4675758_l5.jpg

Jeff T.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
KarlB737 said:
It should be noted that Irwin Allen's "Lost In Space" is headed for Blu-Ray. I would expect that Voyage will be next in light of this.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Lost-Space-The-Complete-Series/20952

I wouldn't.

The LIS release is largely a fan based project and for good or bad Voyage simply does not have the following that LIS does.

If it had been left to Fox I doubt LIS would have happened on Blu either.

Voyage would look lovely on Blu but I wouldn't hold your breath - certainly not for Fox to release it. We might get lucky with it being licenced to a smaller company .

In the UK Revelation are planning Time Tunnel although that is looking less and less likely as time passes by.

And I would expect Voyage to be the last of the 4 shows either way.

At least we have the movie

JeffT.

Deceased Member
InnerSpace_049.JPG

If 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment has any apprehensions I think that it's with the bluray medium itself (its market) and not with the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA tv series per se.

We are witnessing the beginnings of this (still relatively) "new" (or infant) medium and the companies are just now taking tentative stabs at releasing the "older" material to see how well it will work out.

As long as VOYAGE is still a money earner (in tv syndication and home video) for Fox that is the real determining criteria for its selection in this medium.

The VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (1961) feature film has already been made available on bluray...without anybody asking for it!

Pertaining to its popularity here is a new "retro" television service and the very first thing that is showcased is a VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA tv marathon. That speaks a lot. How many young people (or kids) are going to watch it and in later years fondly recall the show? This is the next (perpetuated) generation in the making.

I'm sure Fox is mulling it all over and when it is determined that the time is right (and confident that it is worth their while) they will move ahead on this.

As an alternative I'd be happy if Image Entertainment attempted such an undertaking. At least I know it would be given a much more "serious" handling as befitting our expectations.

There is (certainly) no rush on this (and there won't be). In the interim we do have the nice "standard" DVD transfers to refer to and enjoy.

For some that may (well) be enough but it is not the nature of Man to be content. He always strives for something even better.

1136756317.jpg

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
It seems strange to describe Bluray as a new medium just days after Fox announced the end of disc releases for The Simpsons.

With none of the obvious shows like 24 ( apart from 3 seasons) or The X-Files getting released it does look like Fox don't think highly of Bluray.

And with the exception of Lost In Space none of the other 3 Irwin Allen shows were released on dvd elsewhere by Fox - they licenced them out- and look how long it took them to complete Voyage in the US.

All in all , not promising at the moment

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I am pretty much focusing on North American bluray releases and I (understandably) haven't given any real consideration of "other" global areas.

The first (North American) VOYAGE DVD release came out in early-2006 and the very last was completed in early-2011. Five years to finish a four year fully restored and digitally remastered tv series collection. This is perfectly respectable. It just seemed long because we were all so impatient and anxious.

You have to remember that at about the mid-point of the VOYAGE "standard" DVD releases bluray was being marketed. This surely must have had a profound (and telling) impact. I'm certain that Fox (immediately) saw that the handwriting-was-on-the-wall for "standard" DVD and in marketing VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL abroad it was (wisely) decided to lease the (valuable) property out rather than continue-perpetuate any further DVD production. A perfectly reasonable (and foresighted) move considering that the industry was in a transition.

This is not a reflection on the actual property itself but a medium which was (rapidly) becoming (and is now) passé.

Revelation has made several announcements about an impending bluray THE TIME TUNNEL release so obviously they have no qualms about the property. As has been suggested they may very well be waiting for Fox to provide "new" high definition video transfers.

Just in case it isn't generally known (or understood) there will be no "standard" DVD issue of the forthcoming LOST IN SPACE collection.

From "my" own perspective the future looks very bright indeed!

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Karl,

I know the story about this place but do not wish to write about it. I do not know if they are gone or will be back. I cannot give any other answers.

Jeff T

I believe Voyage does have a chance but it depends on LIS sales. Voyage and LIS are the only two series in syndication from Irwin Allen. Exposure is good for the show. Time Tunnel could come out as you said nextyear.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have finished Voyage and have been rerunning the best episodes until summer as I always do. I also wrap up the Tunnel on Memorial Day weekend. I watched City Beneath the Sea and was surprised after many viewings that I did not notice Chip beside Basehart in one clip. I also watched Captain Nemo and the Fantasy Worlds of Irwin Allen.

Harry was the one that gave me the tip that there was more footage on the DVD than on the VHS tape. I believe this is included in LIS HD.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
JeffT. said:
I am pretty much focusing on North American bluray releases and I (understandably) haven't given any real consideration of "other" global areas.

The first (North American) VOYAGE DVD release came out in early-2006 and the very last was completed in early-2011. Five years to finish a four year fully restored and digitally remastered tv series collection. This is perfectly respectable. It just seemed long because we were all so impatient and anxious.

Not really.

It took Fox 3 years to release 3 and a half seasons of Voyage on dvd .It took them 2 more years just to get Season 4 Volume 2 out.

In the UK it took Revelation 7 months to release the entire series.

So the USA release seemed to take ages because it did.

If anything the Hollywood majors have spent the last 8 years releasing classic material on Bluray and clearly are not inspired by the results which is why with the exception of Warner , movies from all other Hollywood majors is appearing on Bluray courtesy of licencing deals with companies like Twilight Time , Kino and Shout.

Universal are showing about as much interest in releasing classic material on Blu as they did with dvd.

Pretty much all the cult horror and sci fi titles from them that are not getting released in the US are appearing in other countries via licencing deals too.

I don't think the fact that LIS and Voyage are the only shows in syndication will have much bearing on a Blu.

There are too few episodes of Time Tunnel for it to be a regularly syndicated and Land of the Giants is also only half the run of Voyage.

I would expect Irwin Allen shows to appear on Blu in the same order they appeared on dvd.

I would like Voyage on Blu but I don't think it has enough of a following to interest Fox.

Either a fan organised released like LIS or maybe a Twilight Time style Limited Edition high priced boxset might work.

If Fox have no interest in The X Files or 24 on Bluray it's hard to see them going for much else

JeffT.

Deceased Member
LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68) started as a full restoration project spearheaded by Kevin Burns and financed by Sheila Mathews (who spent a reported $700,000).

20th Century-Fox Television was so impressed with the results and efforts that it reimbursed Sheila Mathews almost the entire amount with the stipulation that Fox have an additional 15 years of exclusive home video rights. Which was agreed upon.

(Likely) on the urging of Kevin Burns (a devout LIS fan) the company decided to release these spanking new high definition video transfers on bluray.

I still say these others are going to come out on bluray in time.

Right now 2015 belongs to LOST IN SPACE but once the furor dies down then focus can be made on the other tv properties.

Fox has co-licensed all four series with the Irwin Allen estate for home video distribution with the definite intent of marketing them. They are not going to go to all this trouble and not do anything with them.

On Fox Connect online VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) are the only two Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series still being listed (in addition to the upcoming LIS bluray collection).

They are still selling. Money is still being made on them.

We're debating speculatively but I still believe that we'll see VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL come out on bluray.

I'm confident of this.

But like you said they will probably come out in the order that they originally did. And it's going to take time. Restoration work on LIS was done before there was any thought of it being (definitely) marketed. In other words it was all planned well ahead.

And with these other two shows they will require a "different" handling. I (really) wish that I could (personably) be involved to "guide" them in the right (or proper) direction that VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL fans would want.

And I say that as far as background history-material is concerned so much more can be done with both VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL. Interest in these shows is strong.

Be rest assured that it will happen. There is definite interest out there (globally)!

nelson2wm.jpg

Jeff T.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
JeffT. said:
LOST IN SPACE (CBS 1965-68) started as a full restoration project spearheaded by Kevin Burns and financed by Sheila Mathews (who spent a reported $700,000).

20th Century-Fox Television was so impressed with the results and efforts that it reimbursed Sheila Mathews almost the entire amount with the stipulation that Fox have an additional 15 years of exclusive home video rights. Which was agreed upon.

(Likely) on the urging of Kevin Burns (a devout LIS fan) the company decided to release these spanking new high definition video transfers on bluray.

I still say these others are going to come out on bluray in time.

Right now 2015 belongs to LOST IN SPACE but once the furor dies down then focus can be made on the other tv properties.

Fox has co-licensed all four series with the Irwin Allen estate for home video distribution with the definite intent of marketing them. They are not going to go to all this trouble and not do anything with them.

On Fox Connect online VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) are the only two Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series still being listed (in addition to the upcoming LIS bluray collection).

They are still selling. Money is still being made on them.

We're debating speculatively but I still believe that we'll see VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL come out on bluray.

I'm confident of this.

But like you said they will probably come out in the order that they originally did. And it's going to take time. Restoration work on LIS was done before there was any thought of it being (definitely) marketed. In other words it was all planned well ahead.

And with these other two shows they will require a "different" handling. I wish that I could (personably) be involved to "guide" them in the right (or proper) direction that VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL fans would want.

Be rest assured that it will happen. There is definite interest out there (globally)!

Jeff T.

I really hope you're right.

Voyage on dvd looks great so Blu would be fab.

The problem with "home video" these days though is that it can mean downloads or streaming - which is where Fox are going with The Simpsons.

If there are genuine HD masters for Time Tunnel available they should make them available to Revelation so we can let them honour their promise of a TT Blu release.

According to sources here Fox UK have stated there is no intention to release Lost In Space on Bluray in the UK ... at the moment.

These rather large expensive boxsets often don't appear in the UK . The majority of the big Warner movie sets don't come out here so the prospect of this all in one set appearing here seems remote.

I just wish we had an Amazon.com pre-order listing so I can get my order in

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Don't lose faith but bear-in-mind there is a lot of work to be done (and there is the expense involved).

We'll know (much) better when the LOST IN SPACE bluray collection comes out to (properly) determine just what can be accomplished pertaining to "extra" material and in the presentation of the episodes themselves (ie. bumpers and next week previews, etc.).

It's all still (very) speculative. Speaking for myself I would like a great and complete job done.

As far as a bluray release of LIS in the U.K. this will probably be done in time (but maybe not immediately). The "hard" work in its preparation has already been done. So there should be no problems there.

Jeff T.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks