What's new

What's all this??? Star Wars: AOTC "lost scene"?! (1 Viewer)

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
If you watch the "Jump to Hyperspace" trailer for the PPV service you can see a good portion of the scene in front of blue screen.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
I remember a while back that there was a rumored scene involving the jedi battle at the end where all of the members of n sync(or maybe backstreet boys) were suited up like jedi to be in the movie -- but fans complained that it would ruin the movie -- (i for one agree it would have) but i wonder if this is the deleted scene they're talking about

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
In trying to preserve to legacy of his space opera, George Lucas has tarnished the mythical status with misguided, aggressive marketing and, in my opinion, unnessicary prequels.

Man, I used to love those original movies with a passion, but those films only exist on Laserdiscs now. And rot never sleeps: "It's better to burn out, than to fade away."

Gordy

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I remember a while back that there was a rumored scene involving the jedi battle at the end where all of the members of n sync(or maybe backstreet boys) were suited up like jedi to be in the movie -- but fans complained that it would ruin the movie -- (i for one agree it would have) but i wonder if this is the deleted scene they're talking about
"In order to save the universe against tyranny and oppression, we have to...let NSYNC kick the funk out nizzity new-school style."

Obi-Wan Kenobi, from a Saturday Night Live skit.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
My definition of a lost scene is something along the lines of when long missing footage to a film is uncovered in some abandoned wharehouse. Whatever this scene is, It was never actually lost, Either it was unfinished or being held off for some kind of later use.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
*sigh*.

I do wish people would stop behaving so childishly. Star Wars is not your movie, it is Lucas. He wrote it. he created it. It is his to do what he wishes.

I also fail to see why the exsitence of a prequel trilogy negates the goodness of the originals. While I personally found the Phantom Menace to be a bore, and was very annoyed by some of the bad child acting (but not Jar Jar, I liked Jar Jar...) I did find Attack of the Clones to be nearly spot on Star Wars, with and unfortunately slow paced first half. If I had one real complaint it would have been the painful diaolog between Anakin and Padme, but every Star Wars movie has had some stinkers in the dialog department...

"I was gonna go into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters!"

So you don't like the prequels. Don't watch them. The originals are still great.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I do wish people would stop behaving so childishly.
A few have expressed exasperation, some have joked about it. I don't see anyone acting childish.

It seems that sometimes people become a bit over defensive when the words Star Wars are used.

That said I do agree with you, It's Lucas's film and he is under no obligation to include every single thing ever made in relation to it, onto the dvd, but right or wrong, it is to be expected that some people are going to feel like they are getting jerked around.

Myself I could care less what Lucas does with this "lost" scene, I just find it humorous that it is being touted as lost footage, as if it where the destroyed 40+ minutes of "The Magnificent Ambersons"

In any case It will most likely turn up on the Episode III dvd as an easter egg or something.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I'm sure most or all of the deleted scenes will be included on the various re-releases of these films. He obivoulsy left this footage off the current disc's so that when the re-releases do come they can play the "Never before seen deleted footage" card to get more people buy them. It will work too.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Ye gods, just imagine if other creative artists had done this:

It is announced today that Charles Dickens is inserting an extra scene into Oliver Twist, in which it is revealed that Oliver is the son of Mr Pickwick and Betty Trotwood. This is the much rumoured 'series crossover' episode discussed by fans but so often denied by Mr Dickens himself. The missing pages will be only available to subscribers.

The whole reason why artists don't go back and tinker with their work wholesale is that they respect their public.

Personally I was content for Lucas to 'digitally improve' the original trilogy (I know a lot of others weren't!) because it wasn't altering the essential fabric of the film and because artists in the past have amended what they thought were errors (e.g. nobody would think it odd if an author corrected typos and errors between editions of a book; indeed, we'd think it odd if they didn't). However, this is tinkering with a product in a way previously unknown. Made freely available to fans, who've already paid for the movie ticket and the DVD, it'd be not too bad. But to charge for something which, as has already been noted, it not a 'lost' scene, but a tarted-up remnant from the cutting room floor IMHO stinks.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The whole reason why artists don't go back and tinker with their work wholesale is that they respect their public.

Personally I was content for Lucas to 'digitally improve' the original trilogy (I know a lot of others weren't!) because it wasn't altering the essential fabric of the film and because artists in the past have amended what they thought were errors (e.g. nobody would think it odd if an author corrected typos and errors between editions of a book; indeed, we'd think it odd if they didn't). However, this is tinkering with a product in a way previously unknown. Made freely available to fans, who've already paid for the movie ticket and the DVD, it'd be not too bad. But to charge for something which, as has already been noted, it not a 'lost' scene, but a tarted-up remnant from the cutting room floor IMHO stinks.
Some artists do go back and tinker with their works, even often in wholesale fashion. Making the broad generalization that "artists" don't do this is absurd. This is not, as you claim, a way previously unknown. Artists and authors have been modifying their works and charging people to possess and/or view the modified versions since long before 2003 (or did you think Tolkien kept records of everyone who bought the first edition of "The Hobbit" and sent them free copies of Chapter V and Spielberg gave all ticket buyers for Close Encounters free tickets to see the Special Edition?). You may find yourself disrespected, but Lucas is very far from being the first to do it and I'd wager good money that he's also even further from being the last, as well. While I understand that Lucas is an easy target for criticism, I don't understand the constant rewriting and/or ignoring of history in order to make his actions appear that much more drastic. Based on so many comments on Lucas made online, one might believe that he's the first person to ever modify anything.

DJ

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Artists and authors have been modifying their works and charging people to possess and/or view the modified versions since long before 2003
Name some instances, please, where someone has tinkered with the 'finished' product to the extent Lucas has where no-one has asked them to, and then presented it as something the public 'must' have.

Bruckner altered some of his symphonies following criticism. Mahler altered his 6th symphony, because he thought he had tempted fate (the last of three 'death knells' is missing from the revised version of one of the movements) Dickens revised the end of Great Expectations following criticism. Numerous artists have revised paintings following criticism or to combat the passing of time. However, precious few artists have continually altered a product and then touted it as something the fans 'must' have.

Or perhaps Lucas is above these mere hacks like Dickens or Mahler? After all, to a sizeable amount of the middlebrows of the Western world, he and Tolkein are the paramount artistic figures.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Or perhaps Lucas is above these mere hacks like Dickens or Mahler? After all, to a sizeable amount of the middlebrows of the Western world, he and Tolkein are the paramount artistic figures.
And, to others, he's doing things previously unknown to them that have actually been taking place for centuries.

DJ

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Personally I was content for Lucas to 'digitally improve' the original trilogy (I know a lot of others weren't!) because it wasn't altering the essential fabric of the film
Han shooting first not only changed part of the fabric of the film, it is also one of the worst digital edits I have ever seen. The Jabba scene looked pretty good though.

Chris

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
As far as I can see, this "lost" scene has not been announced as something that is going to be added back into the film, It may seem an obvious conclusion but nothing to that effect has been stated. Yet right now there seems to be argument about yet another Lucas alteration, that does not yet even exist and may never happen.

As far as past artists, revising their films, books and music. Well if many of us where around back in those times and had the HTF, we would be pissed and ranting about those changes too, So it's not like we are hypocrites. :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
we've known about the droid control ship scene for quite some time, it was always assumed that it would go in the 6disc set version of the film. I do believe that they ran out of space on disc2, which forced them to leave out a ton of the deleted scenes

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I don't understand why this bitchfest (excuse me, this "non-childish discussion") has gone from greed to Lucas' tinkering with the OT, on to the quality level of the PT. Give it a fucking rest already.

I sympathize with the complaints regarding the subscription model. I think it's ridiculous, and hope it fails. However, quite a few of the posts made in this thread have focused on bashing Lucas as a filmmaker, not a businessman. Funny how agendas can't seem to remain hidden for long. If you hate the prequels so much, why on Earth are you posting here, a thread about two of those movies you hate so much?

PS-- When HASN'T Lucas been an aggressive businessman? If he hadn't secured the Star Wars merchandising rights following the release of ANH; LFL, ILM, and Skywalker Sound, would not exist as we know them today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks