What's new

What's all this??? Star Wars: AOTC "lost scene"?! (1 Viewer)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Beethoven started to rewrite[allegedly] his Symphonies,though he couldn't finish it because of his death,so they were never published,but knowing his personality,he would "ban" his earlier versions if he could have his ways.
I wonder what today's[or contemporary] amateur music critics would say about that, if it indeed had happened?

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
When I started this thread, I thought it would be a discussion of the pros and cons of featuring DVD features on the net as a pay-per-view system. Or it would be interesting to identify just which scene it is, who's in it?
Some people just look for any opportunity to start griping about Lucas and the new movies. C'mon, give it a rest.
Personally, I'd rather see the scene about the "Lost 20" but it's clear that Lucas felt that revealed too much, or he's changed the origin of Dooku, and that's why he's not releasing that scene. He knows it's the one scene that everybody wanted to see.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
And I'd rather see the extended Dooku dual sequences, with more Anakin with one blade, and Dooku fighting Yoda with 2 sabers. However this scene sounds cool too. Either way, I won't pay for a subscription, not the least of which because I'm sure it won't work on a Mac. None of that DVD-ROM stuff does. :angry:

At least it makes the decision easy.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
The plain and simple truth of the matter is that SW.com is offering a new service that costs money and as part of the deal they're offering a cut or "lost" scene(s) not included on the AOTC DVD. That's called commerce or more precisely ebusiness. They're just trying to sweeten the deal because they have to offer content for the price. You could argue about Lucas or Beethoven or the third caveman on the left as being the first to constantly revise their work after they've presented it but that still doesn't change the fact that it's their creation and unless there's a law against providing entertainment I don't think anyone should get worked up about it.

It's not like Lucas is an emerging filmmaker that a lot of people aren't aware of. Just about every single person on this planet should now be aware of him and his methods. So it should come as no surprise that one of the means by which he presents Star Wars, through the official site, will offer whatever it takes to generate hits, hoopla, income, etc.

Hey look if I had any films as big as Star Wars and there were a bunch of scenes not seen by the public and I had a site like SW.com I might be tempted to do the same thing! And I might use any number of phrases to promote them in order to dangle that proverbial carrot in front of the rabid fan. :D

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I think it's a damn travesty to charge us for Star Wars content. It's not like starwars.com is some struggling internet company. George has more money than God and now he wants more. I like the movies, even the SE's, but dammit, George, you don't need anymore of my money.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Why should George lose money on the endeavour? I'm as liberal as they come, but they should at least be covering costs with this service

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
The way they're marketing this thing with the trailer says it all:

"When you have to see it first"

"When you want to make it your own"

"When you need to experience it all"

It's obviously geared towards the hardcore Star Wars fan that's willing to pay money to gain access to the exclusive content. Of couse there are hardcore fans that'll gain access to it one way or another without paying. I don't consider myself in either camp anymore so none of it really interests me.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I think it's a damn travesty to charge us for Star Wars content. It's not like starwars.com is some struggling internet company. George has more money than God and now he wants more.
On the other hand if Lucasfilm started a new web-service that cost $20 a year and it did not have anything exclusive or special to offer, people would be bitching that it's a rip off and and that George was milking his fans again. I am sure that it cost money to complete the visual FX in this scene, and Lucas is under no obligation to provide anyone with a free service, regardless of how much money he has.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I thought when internet stocks fell through the floor that business realized the internet model generally does not make money (excepting Amazon.com)?

Bottom line is that LFL can charge for the content, but I doubt that they'll get the subscribers necessary to pay for the costs.

People got used to the idea of a free internet (whether that's right or wrong is a whole other story and I'm not going there) and thus are pretty resistant to the concept of membership sites. Not all, but generally most are. I know I personally stopped frequenting various sites when they started charging membership, and now a lot of those companies have either become free sites again or have a free and subscriber side, with more and more content leaking over to the free side.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'm not crazy about the idea either, but agree with Jeff's sentiments.

And, ultimately, it's up to the consumer. Pay or don't. Time will tell if it's successful. Based on what I know about those "other" crazed SW fans, they'll do anything to get the latest scoop! :D Ha! I'm one of those of course, but at this moment will probably not buy it.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Looking at the ad for Hyperspace at the IMDb, it occured to me that it is ionic that this new service is called Hyperspace when the prequels do not feature the "stars blurring into lines" images that we associate with Star Wars and hyperspace.

It's curious. The truly strange thing is that the screenplay for Ep1 actually features the hyperspace stars shot mentioned, but the actual scene was not in the final film - a conscious decision to omit? It would have been a five second shot and a continuation of one of the consistent elements of the Star Wars fuilms.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ok you know you're a Star Wars geek when you can respond to the hyperspace issue. Recently at the official site I believe someone posed the question to Lucas himself and he said that he wanted to save that hyperspace streaking effect for the OT in order to preserve that magic quality of zooooming through the stars or something like that. Not his exact words but you get the point. If not, check out the official site and browse through the recent Jedi Council questions.

I checked out SW.com today just to see the new layout of the main page/preview and it looks suspiciously like T-Bone's fairly recent starwarz.com makeover.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for that. I have wondered why the hyperspace shot was never used in the prequels. And now I know.

From the StarWars.com Jedi Council, March 14, 2003
Q: Why haven't we seen the stars stretch into lines when a ship jumps to hyperspace in the prequel trilogy?
A:
For the definitive answer, we turn to none other than George Lucas himself. Here's what he had to say:

"I think of the series as one movie. In order to keep the impact of the hyperspace jump in Episode IV, I have decided not to use it in the first three films. If you're watching them from one to six, you'll get the same thrill."
Don't know if I buy that - bit of a silly excuse. But that's fine.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
I highly doubt that George ever lost anything.
He lost a wife to another man in 1982.

He lost the Best Director Oscar twice.

He lost money on "Radioland Murders" and "Howard the Duck".

He's lost the respect of a lot of people who formerly thought of him as a modern-day legend.

There, I just named four things. I'm sure if pressed, I could come up with more....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks