What's all this??? Star Wars: AOTC "lost scene"?!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Illingworth II, May 30, 2003.

1. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

From EW.com
    ''Star Wars: Episode III'' doesn't hit theaters until 2005, but that doesn't mean George Lucas fans can't get an early peek. Starting June 10, Starwars.com will unveil a site revamp -- called HYPERSPACE -- featuring a webcam on the Australian set of ''Episode III,'' breaking news, and a lost scene from ''Attack of the Clones.'' The catch? The subscriber-only service will cost true believers $19.95 a year. Fans can try out the new service for free during a special preview period from June 5-9.
    For devotees who have spent sleepless nights pondering the existence of a ''lost'' action scene from ''Attack of the Clones,'' the investment should be worth it. Until now, Lucasfilm had refused to confirm or deny whether a Jedi Knights vs. attack droids battle scene had been shot, and its absence on the DVD suggested that the scene never made it past script form. ''It wasn't on the DVD because it wasn't finished at the time,'' explains Lucasfilm spokesperson John Singh.
    In addition to the lost scene, subscribers can sign up for their own Star Wars e-mail address, a twice-weekly newsletter, and join exclusive chats with cast and crew. As for the webcam, which will film 12 hours a day then repeat for 12 hours, Lucasfilm reps say spoilers will be avoided by strategically moving the camera around the set. Let's just hope that doesn't mean a gripping 12-hour shot of the catering table.

Seems this is the next step now, with features like deleted scenes becoming available on the net. Isn't this the first example? I can't think of any other film company that has put deleted scenes online for pay-per-view. Personally, I'd like to see the scene but I don't care about the rest. They should have a one-time view fee, like a $1 just to watch it once.

2. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

I used to be a *huge* Star Wars fan, but now I have a much more casual interest in the series, especially the new films. I'm certainly not interested enough to spend $19.95 a year for subscriber content, most of which will finds its way onto some other Web site a couple days later.

Besides, half the fun of "spoilers" is that they're taboo. They can't be taboo if they are officially sanctioned. No, count me out. George Lucas should've tried this stunt in 1999.

EDIT:

And just to clarify:

*No Lucases were hurt in the making of this post* [​IMG]

3. Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack Second Unit

"I sense something, something I've not felt since..." Why do I sense another anti-lucas(lucas is the devil) thread in the making. I don't agree with this new subscription service, but I also will use my right not to pay for the service. It's that simple. I don't need to say "Lucas is making us do this, Or Lucas is raping my childhood" and so on. [​IMG]

4. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

Also, what about the deleted library scene where Obi-Wan learned more about Dooku and the lost 20 Jedi, which they didn't bother putting on the DVD?

5. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I would pay $10 a year. But if they refuse to ALSO put up a "spoiler-cam" I'm not paying

I would pay $1 just to watch the scene tho, but I'm sure it will show up elsewhere [​IMG]

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am sure that within a day or so. The scene will be on all of those Napster like sites.

8. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I will not pay that kind money ($ 19,95) simply because I like to stay spoiler free. If that is at all possible by simply avoiding the huge SW Movies thread.

Highly unlikely though

[​IMG]

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

"Lost scene"? Yeah, right.

There are no lost scenes from ATOC. They just keep making more.

-Dave

12. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Of course I'll have to check the free preview out, but really doubt I'll pay for a year subscription. On the other hand, it could be really cool and informative in a non-spoiler way. We'll see. [​IMG]

13. Galen_V

Galen_V Second Unit

Actually, there was a deleted action sequence cut out of the film, which featured a Jedi attack on the droid control ship.

http://www.starwars.com/community/as...c20020718.html

"Q: Why was Plo Koon and Ki-Adi-Mundi's commando raid on the Droid Control Ship cut from the final edit of Attack of the Clones?

A:The attack on the Droid Control Ship was filmed and edited together, but never completed with final special effects. A Jedi attack force battled its way up the ship's ramp, through doorways, down halls, and into the bridge of the ship. The scene was filled with much swordplay and stunts.

The sequence was dropped from the cut because it added another story to be intercut with what already was becoming too complicated and time consuming for the climax of the movie. Including the sequence also meant time needed to set it up and resolve it while the arena battle and the Clone War land battle proceeded simultaneously.

There was lots and lots of material in each one of these sequences that needed to be trimmed. There was lots of Jedi action in the arena fight dropped, more Jango and Mace, and even at one point a battle in space with the Droid Control Ships.

All of these would have been great to see, but choices have to be made for the priorities of the storyline."

14. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

What he said.

Greed is annoying.

15. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

And Lucas seems to have that in spades...

Dan

16. Dave H

Dave H Producer

17. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Oh Lucas, will you never tire of milking your fans for all that they're worth.

To be honest, I'm sure all the important stuff will appear on Aint it Cool News the following day. So is there really a need to pay?

18. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

19. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

^^Fair enough. I was just trying to point out that this day and age, it's very hard to keep anything a secret on the internet.

20. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Stunt Coordinator

That mare had a fole?