What's new

What TV replaces plasma (1 Viewer)

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
So I know plasma is pretty much dead unless u buy used. If I was to go to best buy and buy a TV what kind should I look at? Something withat a reasonable price. I been out of home audio for a min so but I know oled was suppose to replace plasma but it's super expensive. I just hate motion blur as I watch alot of action and sports things.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
The least expensive option for OLED is buying the LG 55" B6 or LG 55" C6. They're currently on sale with authorized resellers until tomorrow for $2,298.

But you can find lower prices from resellers who aren't authorized. For example, East Coast TV's is selling the 55 inch B6 for $1600.

The only other option that is close to plasma but not quite is FALD, which are LCD tv's that use local dimming zones in an attempt to imitate true emissive displays like OLED and Plasma. Samsung offers a 65 inch model (UN65KS9800) that's about the same price as the B6 or C6.

If motion handling is your pet peeve, then you may want to consider expanding your preferences beyond a TV and think of setting up your home with a screen and projector. LCD and OLED's can't match plasma for motion handling, but DLP projectors can. The downside is that DLP's don't have black levels that even come close to matching plasma, much less OLED. Quality DLP projectors can be bought for less than $1000 from BenQ, Vivitek, or Optoma. Quality projector screens can be had for reasonable prices from Carada.

Last edited:

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
Well right now im living with my cousin and im gonna be looking for my own place soon looks like. but i will need a display for my bedroom living room all that stuff. so options are open and just looking right now

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
My thought is any Quantum Dot or OLED TV 4K TV can hold it's own against Plasma. I would say with proper calibration a 4K multilane LED can do a good job as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks