What's new

What sort of Board Games do you Play (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have a wife who wants to play this Legacy game… :)
I get it... I'd still argue against it though... maybe... depends... (sounds rather wishy-washy eh? lol). Mine doesn't like "modern" games at all... no way, no how... yet if she's in the mood to play something she likes I'll gladly play it with her whether I like the game or not.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I get it... I'd still argue against it though... maybe... depends... (sounds rather wishy-washy eh? lol). Mine doesn't like "modern" games at all... no way, no how... yet if she's in the mood to play something she likes I'll gladly play it with her whether I like the game or not.
My wife is more into boardgaming than I am at this point. And she’s very up on the new hotness. :)

MusicLover95

Auditioning
Real Name
George
Monopoly, chess, Scrabble, and Mastermind—these are the board games I remember playing with my family and friends when I was a kid. 😊 But now, I’m limited to Scrabble.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Monopoly, chess, Scrabble, and Mastermind—these are the board games I remember playing with my family and friends when I was a kid. 😊 But now, I’m limited to Scrabble.
Welcome! Scrabble is one I can sometimes get my wife to play (she won't play most of the games I play) - and she loves to play 2 and 3 letter words just to annoy me. :wacko:

There's a whole world of more advanced and interesting games out there! If you'd like some suggestions for some of the more "entry level" games (better than what we all played as kids, more involving, yet not too complex) just yell. We'll be happy to make suggestions to start you on your way into the world of modern board games. Many of them can be played solo, which is nice for those times you can't get anyone interested in playing a game or just don't have anyone around to join you in a game.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Board games and lasers. A match made in heaven.
IMG_0158.jpeg

MusicLover95

Auditioning
Real Name
George
Welcome! Scrabble is one I can sometimes get my wife to play (she won't play most of the games I play) - and she loves to play 2 and 3 letter words just to annoy me. :wacko:

There's a whole world of more advanced and interesting games out there! If you'd like some suggestions for some of the more "entry level" games (better than what we all played as kids, more involving, yet not too complex) just yell. We'll be happy to make suggestions to start you on your way into the world of modern board games. Many of them can be played solo, which is nice for those times you can't get anyone interested in playing a game or just don't have anyone around to join you in a game.
I’m curious about these modern board games. I would love to hear suggestions, I’m looking for games that I can play solo, but also ones that my wife might like them as well. 😊

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I use this site a couple time a week against friends or computer.I can win on levels 5/6 but usually mess up at 7/8.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
When I was a kid, my brother and I would play just about any board game my parents came up with. My mom went to a lot of yard sales and she would sometimes pick up new board games (well, new to us anyway) at a huge discount. The ones I remember playing often are checkers, chess, sternhalma (Chinese checkers), Pollyanna, Clue, Life, Monopoly, Sorry!, Chutes and Ladders, Trouble, Game of the States, Monster Mansion, Hungry Hungry Hippos, Connect Four, Crossbows and Catapults, and Win, Lose, or Draw. We had a Trivial Pursuit game but I was the only one who liked trivia so I think we only played it once. Then, there were dice and card games like Yahtzee, dominoes, rook, Uno, and for some reason, my parents taught us poker when we were kids. When I was a teenager, I became fascinated with Dungeons and Dragons and a group of us played during lunch and after school for a few years. My wife doesn’t care for board games and I haven’t played one in probably 35 years.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I’m curious about these modern board games. I would love to hear suggestions, I’m looking for games that I can play solo, but also ones that my wife might like them as well. 😊
OK... just be careful as it can be a huge rabbit hole...

All links are to the games on Board Game Geek - a huge resource for researching and finding out about board games. You can read reviews or watch video reviews and play throughs for many games. Some of the better reviewers (basically ones I prefer) are Dice Tower, Shut Up & Sit Down, The Broken Meeple, Tabletop Toleson, and BoardGameCo. All of those have youtube channels with their gaming videos as well as posting on BGG.

While there are online game stores, all the ones I'm going to list are typically available at Target, Walmart, and Amazon. And watch for sales at Target where they'll often have them up to 30% off.

Horrified - A coop (everyone plays together against the game) where you're hunting down and taking out several different horror characters. The original has you going up against a selection of the classic Universal Monsters. There's also an American Monster version and a Greek Monster version. All play similarly with the primary differences being the different puzzles to defeat the included monsters. You can play solo or with up to 4 players and everyone's working toward the same goal - defeat the selected monster(s).

Carcassonne - A classic tile laying game with simple rules. While it can be played solo, those rules are not in the box (you get them here - and the file has both German and English versions of the solo rules). You have stacks of face down tiles, each with 1-3 terrain types (field, road, city) on it. You place tiles next to each other based on the terrain, claiming the terrain (if possible) to earn points. It also plays fairly quickly (30-45 minutes). Be careful you don't accidentally purchase an expansion instead of the base game - it currently has 10 "large" expansions which add tiles/mechanics to the base game. If you like the game, the 1st and 2nd expansions are the main ones you want as the 1st adds more players and the 2nd adds a nice bag from which to pull the tiles (no more stacks on the table) as well as more tiles/mechanics.

Ticket to Ride - A classic set collection type game. You're placing trains on specific routes on the board. The routes you want to claim are determined by the ticket(s) you have in your hand. You either pick up "train cards" (different color cards allowing you to place trains) or place little plastic trains on a route on the board based on the color cards you play. Few mechanics, fun game play. 2-5 players out of the box.

Azul - A tile drafting game. Different colored plastic squares (tiles) are pulled from a bag and placed on special boards. Players take turns selecting tiles, based on color rules, from a board and then placing them on their individual player board creating rows of the same color to place tile of the same color on a special area of the board to create point opportunities. And that sounds harder than it is... Also plays in 30-45 minutes but has no solo mode.

Parks - Each player plays as two hikers while they walk different trails across four seasons of the year. While on the trail, these hikers will take actions to collect tokens used to purchase "Park Cards" for points. The "trail" is made up of individual pieces that change round to round/game to game. Plays solo or up to 5 players.

Wingspan - A card based game where you are bird enthusiasts, discovering and attracting different birds to your preserves (your player board). Bird have abilities you can use to make your position stronger. It's hard to explain, easy to learn/play, and quite fun. It contains in the box a system that walks you through your first game. 1-5 players.

The Quacks of Quedlinberg - A push-your-luck "bag builder." You pull different colored bits out of a bag and place them in your pot (your board) on a scoring spiral. Too many white bits can cause your pot to explode. Each person has their own bag of bits and their own board. You decide when to stop pulling bits out of the bag. Based on how far you made it on the track in your pot you score points and/or earn coins to purchase new, better, bits for your bag. These new bits can let you move further along the track and/or provide scoring benefits. 2-4 players.

That should be enough to get you started.

These are all games my family (son/daughter-in-law w/3 kids ages 7, 9, 11 - daughter/fiancee w/3 kids ages 12, 17, 20) really enjoy and play fairly frequently. They are also games I normally bring out when any of the grandkids brings a friend over who's not played "hobby" board games before. I also use some of these during family gatherings if non-gaming relatives want to try something new.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
When I was a kid, my brother and I would play just about any board game my parents came up with. My mom went to a lot of yard sales and she would sometimes pick up new board games (well, new to us anyway) at a huge discount. The ones I remember playing often are checkers, chess, sternhalma (Chinese checkers), Pollyanna, Clue, Life, Monopoly, Sorry!, Chutes and Ladders, Trouble, Game of the States, Monster Mansion, Hungry Hungry Hippos, Connect Four, Crossbows and Catapults, and Win, Lose, or Draw. We had a Trivial Pursuit game but I was the only one who liked trivia so I think we only played it once. Then, there were dice and card games like Yahtzee, dominoes, rook, Uno, and for some reason, my parents taught us poker when we were kids. When I was a teenager, I became fascinated with Dungeons and Dragons and a group of us played during lunch and after school for a few years. My wife doesn’t care for board games and I haven’t played one in probably 35 years.
Sounds much like me growing up. My sister and I had many of those games and played together frequently. We'd pull in anyone who showed the least interest to play a game. That was also 50-60 years ago when that was one of the main things you had to do as kids. I've always loved to play board games, often spending my allowance on a new game (usually horrid things though). A friend introduced me to Carcassone and Catan at the comic store ~2000 or so and I was amazed (and I'd been playing Magic the Gathering for a few years at that point). Those 2 games started a journey into the world of "modern/hobby" board games that I shared with my son and daughter, who were still home at the time. My wife calls it an addiction...

My wife doesn't care for board games - at least not what I prefer. She'll play Yahtzee or Scrabble on occasion and if her family is over we'll likely play UNO (a game I don't particularly care for). Fortunately my oldest grandson (20yo) currently lives with my wife and me and my daughter, her fiancee, and 2 oldest granddaughters (12yo & 17yo) currently live across the street from us and like many of the same games I like. We play games several times a month and I play solo at least once a week (more, depending on how mentally exhausted I am after work). My son and his family live ~4 hrs. away so it's much less frequent with them but they also all like "hobby" board games and we'll play several any time we're together.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One of us!

Of possible interest, tho I am not backing:

Hmmm... I could probably use something like that these days...

_Man_

I don’t know anything about them other than it looks cool

I kept mulling it on-and-off and almost pulled the trigger... but the deadline just past last night...

Oh well, wonder what they might charge later... and perhaps, they'll make some additional improvements or something... Meanwhile, looks like I probably won't need something like that quite as soon as I'd hoped, heh...

_Man_

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I kept mulling it on-and-off and almost pulled the trigger... but the deadline just past last night...

Oh well, wonder what they might charge later... and perhaps, they'll make some additional improvements or something... Meanwhile, looks like I probably won't need something like that quite as soon as I'd hoped, heh...

_Man_
I stumbled on this one on BGG - I like it better:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks