What's new

What sort of Board Games do you Play (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
A minor "head's up" on the current B2G1 sale this week at Target... at the moment, all Asmodee titles are included. That's huge as they've been excluded for the past 2 years (possibly a bit longer).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We took a look. Raccoon Tycoon is available. I don’t know if it’s any good, but it was new and people were demo’ing it at UKGE last weekend.

But we’re remaining conservative on new purchases so not buying anything in this sale.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Because Asmodee titles are included (so far) I've picked up more than I expected. At least most are expansions:

Star Wars: Outer Rim - looks like it'll be pretty good solo (my main play format these days)
Sushi Go! Party - Simply because some of the grandkids really like it and it *is* better than plain Sushi Go!
Marvel Infinity Gauntlet - A Marvel themed version of Love Letter that sounds pretty good.
Dice Forge: Rebellion expansion - Been waiting for a "good" price on this one since purchasing the base game.
7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon expansion - Sounds interesting (and I'm considering Agora)
Catan: Explorers and Pirates 5-6 Player extension - Because I own the "Collector's" edition of Catan which plays up to 6 and for the 2 extra player color options.
Catan: Seafarers 5-6 Player extension - Same as above - I also own the base edition for both of these expansions.
Agricola: Consul Dirigens Deck expansion - Because more cards is a good thing.
Azul: Glazed Pavilion expansion - For the extra player boards and to see if the overlays work better than the ones for Azul.
Carcassonne: Abby & Mayor expansion - I purchased the 20th Anniversary edition with the new art and have been picking up select expansions. This will likely be the last for that artwork (already own all of them with the original art). Basically will stop when there's no longer space for one in the base box with the insert still inside.

Kind of considering a few more things but that seems enough this time out.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Because Asmodee titles are included (so far) I've picked up more than I expected. At least most are expansions:

Star Wars: Outer Rim - looks like it'll be pretty good solo (my main play format these days)
Sushi Go! Party - Simply because some of the grandkids really like it and it *is* better than plain Sushi Go!
Marvel Infinity Gauntlet - A Marvel themed version of Love Letter that sounds pretty good.
Dice Forge: Rebellion expansion - Been waiting for a "good" price on this one since purchasing the base game.
7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon expansion - Sounds interesting (and I'm considering Agora)
Catan: Explorers and Pirates 5-6 Player extension - Because I own the "Collector's" edition of Catan which plays up to 6 and for the 2 extra player color options.
Catan: Seafarers 5-6 Player extension - Same as above - I also own the base edition for both of these expansions.
Agricola: Consul Dirigens Deck expansion - Because more cards is a good thing.
Azul: Glazed Pavilion expansion - For the extra player boards and to see if the overlays work better than the ones for Azul.
Carcassonne: Abby & Mayor expansion - I purchased the 20th Anniversary edition with the new art and have been picking up select expansions. This will likely be the last for that artwork (already own all of them with the original art). Basically will stop when there's no longer space for one in the base box with the insert still inside.

Kind of considering a few more things but that seems enough this time out.

Looks like most/all of those just sold out... :P I probably woulda gone for the Sushi Go! Party since my niece seems to love the standard/basic version -- it's fun and quick enough to play for sure... and we, especially I, love sushi, heh... :lol:

_Man_

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Looks like most/all of those just sold out... :P I probably woulda gone for the Sushi Go! Party since my niece seems to love the standard/basic version -- it's fun and quick enough to play for sure... and we, especially I, love sushi, heh... :lol:

_Man_
Yep - appears that most of the Asmodee titles suddenly "sold out"... Good... Keeps me from purchasing more. At least I got in the ones I wanted most yesteday. :D

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I own a copy of Racoon Tycoon but it's not hit the table and unlikely to do so anytime soon though I'd like to see it happen... Even then, my typical game group is players of mostly light-mid weight games who'd likely never notice the issues in that review.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I own a copy of Racoon Tycoon but it's not hit the table and unlikely to do so anytime soon though I'd like to see it happen... Even then, my typical game group is players of mostly light-mid weight games who'd likely never notice the issues in that review.
You might be surprised

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Had a "Board Game Weekend" with my son and youngest grandson (9yo) this past weekend. My son's oldest (my middle grandson - 11yo) got taken on a trip with an aunt and uncle (they also took one of their grandsons who's the same age as my son's oldest and they're "best buds"). The Board Game Weekend was so the youngest would have something special to do as well. He rented an AirBnB about halfway between our houses and didn't tell my grandson I was joining them (an special surprise - we're board game buddies as his brother just doesn't care for them much). We pulled off the surprise and had a great weekend, played lot of games with several being new to some or all of us.

Ascension - New to my grandson. I played with him for his first game, mostly offering advice and guiding his play a bit. He really liked it and beat his dad and me the 2nd time we played.

Chronicles of Avel - New to me and one I'd purchased for my son's house as it looked like one the kids would like (ages 7, 9, 11). They did and it's one my grandson selected for he and his dad to play (not knowing I'd be there). I really enjoyed the game myself. It's a great game for adults to play with kids.

King of Tokyo - New to all of us. It was a hit, more so with his dad and me and enough of one my son said he may get a copy for his house as he thinks the 11yo, their sister and mo would enjoy it as well. Played it twice.

Evolution: The Beginning - New to all of us. My son and I played it while the 9yo played a video game, really liked it, and played it with the 9yo immediately after. He liked it as well and did quite well, playing in a very cutthroat manner.

Trash Pandas - New to my son and grandson. I'd purchased a copy for them for Christmas but they've not yet cracked it open. They both enjoyed this one as well. Played 2 games back-to-back.

Point Salad - Another one new to my son and grandson and another they enjoyed. Like Trash Pandas, it was played twice in a row.

Dino Hunt - A favorite "hunt and capture dinosaurs" card game of my grandsons. I have some booster packs (it's a CCG) purchased years ago just before it went OOP. I took along 4 of them for him to open. Surprisingly we got 14 new cards out of the 20 in the packs. He surprised me by announcing whether or not I already had the card as he pulled them out of the packs - and he's not looked at those cards I have in over a year! He missed *one* out of the 20.

Draftosaurus - Fun and quick dinosaur drafting game. One of his favorites though he's typically done after a single game.

Catan w/Cities & Knights expansion - We've all played "vanilla" Catan (yes, even the 9yo) but my grandson and I have never played with the Cities & Knights expansion before. My son just about won't play without it as it's his favorite expansion and way to play Catan. He taught it to the two of us and we had a very good time with it.

We took time out of board gaming to watch a movie, eat (my grandson selected *all* restaurants), and sleep.

When I got home (early afternoon Sunday) I called my middle granddaughter (12yo) and asked if she wanted to come over and play board games with me. She countered for me to come to their house so we could all play. Of course! I took King of Tokyo along and introduced them to it - it was a hit with them as well. Enough so that my daughter started making noise about getting a copy for their house. We played it a couple of times and followed it with a couple of rounds each of Trash Pandas and Point Salad.

And I took off today to "recuperate" from the weekend so my 19yo grandson and I went to my daughter's (his mom) house for another day of board games. Of course I took King of Tokyo since they'd liked it very much the day before. We played it a couple more times, followed it with a couple of games of Point Salad. At that point my grandson had to leave for work so we finished the day with a game of Quacks of Quedlinburg and included the Herb Witches expansion (the first time we've added an expansion to this one). All of us liked the game with that expansion and now want to play a game with the Alchemist expansion, possibly combining them once that one's been play tested.

We had so much fun that it's tempting to take another day or two off and devote them to board game playing. I could do this every weekend... :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Since that board game weekend with my son and middle grandson, Amazon put King of Tokyo Big Box on sale so I picked up 2 copies - one for my son's house and one for my daughter's house. We've since played it a couple more times, once with my oldest grandson (20) this past weekend who proclaimed it "A giant luck fest. I don't like it and there's player elimination! I'm surprised *you* like it, Pa!" - Well... yes, it's a huge luck fest because of the dice and there *is* player elimination, a thing none of us really like in a game. But it's chaotic luck and quite fun in the right setting plus tends to play so quickly that any player who gets knocked out doesn't sit around for long.

My middle granddaughter had a friend spend the weekend so they came over last Saturday to play games. Her friend hasn't played any "modern" hobby type games outside a single game of Ticket to Ride: New York with my granddaughter a few months back.

We got in:

Ticket to Ride: San Francisco - This one uses little chits placed on specific locations with a couple that get placed by the last and next-to-last player wherever they wish and are collected for bonus points at game's end. There are 7 different chits and you can only pick up one of any color by connecting to the city in which they're located. I find that mechanic a bit lacking as you can go for more tickets and outweigh any bonus you'd get from scrambling for those little chits. And you use *one* fewer per location than the number of players so not everyone's going to be able to get them all. Anyway... it was a hit with her friend and that's what counts.

Trash Pandas - A push-your-luck card game that plays quickly and is quite fun. My granddaughter and I kept busting after a couple of rolls for at least the first 6 or so turns! Her friend kept getting cards but not stashing them (in spite of me telling her repeatedly that she needed to stash them for points at the end of the game). All-in-all it was another hit.

Carcassonne - One we really like... and her friend beat us with a ~20 point lead. I'm always pleased when a new player does well, especially if they win! Another hit.

King of Tokyo - A huge hit and we played 3 times with my oldest granddaughter joining us by this time and their brother got home in time to join us for one game (see his reaction above).

Wacky Races - I've been trying to get this one to the table for months. Finally did it - and we all really enjoyed the game. I won with a special card for my particular racer which brought howls of "That's not fair!!" from my grandkids! The oldest granddaughter grabbed the rules and tried to find something that said what I did was illegal (it's not - just got lucky and made good use of that special ability). My grandson said "Well... once we see how all the individual characters play I'd bet it's broken!" - maybe... but I'd bet it seemed that way because no one used their special powers but me. It feels like it's supposed to be chaotic and goofy just like the cartoon and, IMHO, channels the cartoon quite well.

The next day, my daughter, her fiancee, the two granddaughters, and I played the 15th Anniversary edition of Ticket to Ride: Europe (mainly because the middle granddaughter wanted a "bigger board" but *not* Rails & Sails). The custom trains in that edition are very nice but look to be just a bit too large to use on the regular size maps. I like the new art on the cards and that the 1912 Expansion is included. Honestly, it's larger just to be larger and I'd have preferred it be the size of the regular edition, just with the updated and special stuff.

We've played TTR: Europe *once* before but it's been a very long time since that play so this time was, for all practical purposes, a first time play of this version. We all liked it. It's a much tighter game, more "brain burning," game than TTR: US. My daughter pulled out the win with the oldest granddaughter coming in 2nd. The fiancee kept blocking where I needed to go and I wound up in last place as a result (failing to connect 2 huge tickets did me in). We all decided it's a very good version and want to play it again soon.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We started playing Charterstone last week. I don’t like it. This could be a real slog getting through this game with my wife.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We started playing Charterstone last week. I don’t like it. This could be a real slog getting through this game with my wife.
We can’t be friends. :)

@BobO'Link king of Tokyo is our most played game

Once more a huge recommendation for Chicken. Get a copy asap all of you

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
1695817542442.gif

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
boardlandia.com is having a 15% off sale from 10/8/23 to 10/13/23. Discount applies automatically and is already computed into most prices (titles that are under MAP rules have the discount applied/shown only in the cart). *Some* prices are better than gamenerdz and others - just compare first as some are still lower elsewhere even after the discount is applied.

Free shipping at $90+ and they pack very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks