What's new

What Pleases You? (10 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Amen. Last week was a hot & humid hellscape (when it wasn't raining cats and dogs) here in New Hampshire. Yesterday was cooler, drier, breezy, and it was pleasant to sit out in lawn chairs for the occasional respite while trying to rid one of our garden beds of its supply of rock mulch. Today is much the same (perhaps a little less breezy), and the next two or three days are predicted to be likewise.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The forecast through Sunday. Being outside for any length of time with our humidity will feel like breathing through a wet sock.

IMG_7149.jpeg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sorry to hear it (though this is the "What Pleases You" thread so maybe you enjoy this?). I hate humidity. Blessedly cooler and lower humidity here in New England finally after the sultry tropical humidity and temps of July, along with the torrential rains and flooding. I'm actually a bit chilly today after becoming somewhat acclimated to our July temps.

1690902516490.png

BobNewport

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Newport
When people stand up to brazen worthless thieves. Need more people doing this.

7-Eleven employee takes matters into own hands, beats would-be robber with stick until he cries, leaves store

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
When people stand up to brazen worthless thieves. Need more people doing this.

7-Eleven employee takes matters into own hands, beats would-be robber with stick until he cries, leaves store

Yes I enjoy reading about when homeowners/proprietors stand up to crime also. Article seems to indicate the suspects were not seriously injured, so hopefully no charges will be filed against the stick wielding guy, and hopefully he won’t lose his job over this.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes I enjoy reading about when homeowners/proprietors stand up to crime also. Article seems to indicate the suspects were not seriously injured, so hopefully no charges will be filed against the stick wielding guy, and hopefully he won’t lose his job over this.
Yes, that becomes the issue when employees who are not owners resist the robbers. I believe someone around here was fired when they didn't simply comply with the request of a robber. I don't think they attacked the robber, but simply didn't hand over any money and the robber eventually left. But I think they lost their job as this was not how they'd been trained/directed to handle the situation.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That I just found out a new Barnes & Noble bookstore has opened in one of my frequent shopping destinations: West Lebanon, NH.

I'd somehow missed the "coming soon" news article, and was actually in this shopping plaza last weekend and didn't even notice there was a new store being readied for opening (though the new store is in the opposite corner of the plaza from where I was).

Might have to consider renewing my B&N rewards account now that I have two B&N's within reasonable driving distance.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My wife's and my 18th Wedding Anniversary, which was today.

And for the first time since before Covid, we were able to get back to our traditional anniversary meal plans of having a steak dinner at Longhorn's (during the Covid years, we still got take-out from them). Much to our surprise and appreciation, they gave us our deserts -- cheesecake with caramel drizzle and chopped pecans -- on the house.

And my wife gave me feedback: "A+. Would marry again." :D

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

This New Jersey youth baseball league has a unique punishment for berating umpires: those who do have to be umps themselves, so they can feel what all goes into being an umpire. I think that's fair, because umpiring is not an easy thing, and if the unruly fans felt the heat of the hardest job in baseball, they would very likely think twice when Blue makes calls they don't agree with.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I was actually able to figure out how to transfer my apps, photos and contacts from my destroyed iPhone 11 to my new iPhone 13, without suffering injury. I don’t know how to do most of this stuff, and I was at a real disadvantage without having easy access to Google Maps for a few days, but everything is OK now. I’m so happy. 😊

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don’t know if I should be pleased about the UAW strike, but what it has done is killed my dedicated loads. Taking much needed time off, and going to visit family and friends. Leaving before sun up tomorrow.
It might not be right now as I think they're only striking three assembly plants as the rest of the plants are currently running for the time being. I read that in news reports.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
It might not be right now as I think they're only striking three assembly plants as the rest of the plants are currently running for the time being. I read that in news reports.
My specific freight is not shipping to the customer, due to the work stoppage. For the sake of thousands of non-union people that work at the feeder plants, I wish only the best, and a very short disruption in work and pay.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Got to my destination a few minutes ago- about 590 miles in about 9-1/2 hours, including 3 quick stops. My head is still spinning. 🤪

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks