What's new

What is the best receiver for under $1000? (1 Viewer)

Sanjiv

Auditioning
This is a very open ended question. There is no such thing as the 'best' receiver under $1000. There are a number of good receivers at that price point, depends what you are looking for, the size of the room, speakers etc.
Please provide more information such as what you will be using it for/with and for what application.
Regards,
Sanjiv

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Klipsch speakers? What's up with that? I figured you would get a pretty good break on the Nautilus series. ;)

Bowers Wilkins

Auditioning
My setup consists of the following:

B&W LCR6S2 for mains and center
B&W 601 S2 for surrounds
M&K MX-150THX subwoofer
Rotel 1065RSX receiver

I posted the question for a guy at work who is looking
at receivers for under $1000. He will be running it with Klipsch speakers.

My advice was Onkyo - I think it has the cleanest sound of the "cheap" receivers; another guy at work insists on Denon. I wanted to get a few other opinions.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I owned an Onkyo receiver and Klipsch reference speakers and wasn't in love with the sound. It was a little bright and fatiguing, even though I tried to convince myself it wasn't. In the end, I bought separates and now am finally happy. Most Klipsch owners prefer Denon between the two, at least from what I've read. Me personally, I'd have a good look at what Harman Kardon had to offer. You might want to post this in the Home Theater section of the Klipsch forum over at Klipsch.com and see what comments you get there. Some of those people really know their Klipsch. Look for responses from members such as "The Ear".

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
There's a thread on AVSForum that lists a bunch of specs and comparisions for receivers under $1000. You might want to check it out!

Mike

Yogi

Screenwriter
With Klipsch you will have to go either Marantz, Denon or HK. Something thats warmer sounding. Klipsch speakers with the wrong kind (bright) of receiver can lead to listener fatigue in the long run.

On the topic of best receiver under 1K, wait for the 3803 to hit the streets. I think it will be one tough contender to beat in the sub 1K category.

LewB

Screenwriter
I got my Rotel RSX972 for less than 1K earlier in the year. I'm running B&W speakers with it and am quite happy. Right now the lack of Dolby PLII or upgraded DTS-EX isn't a big deal for me. I don't know how the Rotel will work with Klipsch speakers, or if the extra goodies are a big deal. When I listened to Klipsch speakers I thought they were a bit 'harsh or bright'.
P.S. My apologies for the snide remark about your member name, I now understand your reasons. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks