What's new

What forums do you use?? (1 Viewer)

shankar

Stunt Coordinator
I cruise the Internet and have visited most of the HT forums asking questions. My experience has been thus:

Home theater forum: Best forum for audio related questions. OK for video stuff. Friendliest of the forums.

Digital Theater: Used to be he place to get answers, I don't visit there that often.

AVS Forum: Best source for HDTV related info and questions. I learned a lot. Some highly opinionated people tend to blow away newbies.

HT spot: Good source for Toshiba related stuff, mainly due to the organization. Learned a lot about tweaking my Tosh TV.

How about you folks?

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Althought I like Home Theater Forum (I agree great place for audio).

I think Home Theater Talk is the most friendly forum.

There are not nearly as many users there so you can get a vast more amount of opinions here on hardware. They deal more in intelectual talk.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
They deal more in intelectual talk.
So, over there- they would spell it intellectual?
My thoughts are:
Here: Obviously. Very good a general levels on all topics.
Strengths: Very good for info on DVD software and actual movie related discussions-- very helpful people in DIY willing to go step by step.
Weaknesses: It's not all that technical, mostly RPTV/Receiver crowd.
Avsforum.com: Super technical and very advanced!
Strengths: Electrical Engineers and super-tweakers everywhere- info on how to replace the 1222-390-OP chip on your cat to get it's fur to shine a little brighter! Strong sections on HTPC and Front-projection, as well as HDTV and video processors.
Weaknesses: Big learning curve, lots of tech stuff over the head of many, some areas move way too fast. Also, it's connected to a business- so there are some additional elements that go into the interests on that.
Hometheatertalk.com: Rather relaxed and often esoteric. Kind of where the hardcore of the HTF have gone to further discuss the intricacies of various electronics and artforms.
Strengths: Knapp always keeps things interesting, pretty knowledgeable membership, soft spot for discussions with open ended answers.
Weaknesses: IS currently kinda small, so takes a while to get answers. Sometimes it seems a bit "deja vu" for my tastes, as core concepts repeatedly discussed at great lengths by the same core people.
DVDTalk.com: Another software intensive forum, dedicated mostly to movie and dvd talk over hardware and equipment.
Strengths: Great traders section, and excellent bargains section. These guys are always the first with deals, and know exactly the steps to get bang for the buck on DVD.
Weaknesses: Sometimes seems a bit hostile, loose rules means some opportunity for cutting edge discussions, but also sometimes leads to flame wars. Magic often happens in chaos- but those familiar with newsgroups know that sometimes while there are diamonds- you have to dig to find them.
My request to anyone taking part here is not to badmouth any of the other sites- there is certainly room for all the various forums and their specialties. Just be careful as often discussion of this turns into a laundry what we dislike about other forums-- and endless bashes.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Digitaltheater.com Strengths: Good technical advice available. Used to be a pretty good forum, but for some reason the traffic has come to a virtual stand-still, to the point that some of their luminaries (like brucek) have migrated over here. Good for us, bad for them!
Weaknesses: As noted, effectively DOA. It may take a while to get a response, if help is what you are after.
Hometheaterspot.com Strengths: None that I can think of.
Weaknesses: Finely hashed into more than 80 topical sub-forums (no kidding), which makes it a pain to navigate. For instance, there is a forum for every major equipment brand, so I imagine anyone someone posting a “newbie help” question under their brand would get far less responses than he would in a “Beginners Forum” like we have here. Seems to be very few really technically knowledgeable people there. Too many participants seem akin to the less-than-gracious, barely-literate types that haunt most of the car audio forums. Responding to some fellow’s “Help!” thread will often get you zip in feedback – no “Thanks,” no “Drop dead,” no nothing.
Soundandvisionmag.com the website for Sound and Vision magazine, also has a forum (direct link at http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/cgi-bin/Ultimatebb.cgi). Strengths: There is sanity to the number of sub-forums. Friendlier, more literate and generally a higher-caliber clientele than the Spot. Reasonably competent answers to “help” questions.
Weaknesses: Doesn’t really sound out from the crowd. There are more (in number) knowledgeable people here and elsewhere.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

shankar

Stunt Coordinator
Weaknesses: Finely hashed into more than 80 topical sub-forums (no kidding), which makes it a pain to navigate.
AS I mentioned in my original post, I rather think that it is a strength in that you get focused responses from users who actually own that brand.

If not, you'll end up with users owing a MITSU offering "expert" advice on a TOSH TV even if they don't own one. May be good for general questions, but not for brand specific queries, such as How do I disable SVM on my Tosh TV??

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I enjoy this forum, Home Theater Talk, and AVS. I also visit SMR and Harmonic Discord. HD is a great place for any kind of esoterica, especially discussions about tube equipment. I am pretty much low end, but I enjoy reading people's ideas and opinions about the higher end stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks