What's new

A Little General Help, Please?!? (1 Viewer)

Matt99

Auditioning
Real Name
Matteo Fantino
Hi I'm new to this forum. I wanted to ask some information about components that I have given away from a professional home theater or other similar things. I honestly do not understand so much so I wanted to ask if you can explain to me in general the functioning of these pieces, how can I exploit them? What is their type of use? Thanks I hope you can help me. I share some photos of the components so you can better understand what I'm talking about. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG20220803180838.jpg
    IMG20220803180838.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG20220803180902.jpg
    IMG20220803180902.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG20220803180952.jpg
    IMG20220803180952.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG20220803181111.jpg
    IMG20220803181111.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 71

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
None of those is actually intended for home theater, except the last one, which is a power amplifier. That one can be used with some systems to provide more power to the speakers, though I expect it was used with the NAD 1155, which is a stereo (music) preamp, and needs the amplifier to actually make sound with speakers. To be clear, that's for music. It's not really for home theater use.

The Multigate Pro is a dynamic range expander. It's not a very usable piece of equipment with a theater either. It does what its name sounds like. It expands the dynamic range of audio, making the quiet parts quieter and the loud parts louder. A common complaint with movies at home is the soundtracks are too dynamic, and this will make that even worse, plus it's not something you can incorporate into most home theaters.

So, just to be clear, this is not home theater equipment. It's intended only for music.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
As John said, this is a music system, not home theater. The NAD is a pre-amplifier, what’s typically the “front end” of a stereo system. Components such as a CD player, AM/FM tuner, cassette deck etc. plug into it, for playback through the system.

The FBT is an amplifier (although I've never heard of that brand). The pre-amp will send a signal to it via its “Output” jacks. The speakers connect to the amplifier.

The Multigate expander is a curious piece. Presumably it would have been used to reduce residual background noise. I’ve never seen one in a home system. They are typically used in professional audio systems.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Matt99

Auditioning
Real Name
Matteo Fantino
Hi thank you so much for your help. Now since they are all pieces of a music system, if you wanted to mount one to listen to music with an AUX cable or use it with a microphone: what components should i combine to have a music system? Of all the pieces I have, which ones can I keep and use and which can I dispose of? Thanks for the help I am attaching other photos of old music system components that I had from different brands. Hope you can help me, thanks for your patience. as audio speakers I would use the ones I post in the picture. thank you.

Attachments

• IMG20220808100921.jpg
    IMG20220808100921.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG20220808100815.jpg
    IMG20220808100815.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG20220808101230.jpg
    IMG20220808101230.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG20220808101201.jpg
    IMG20220808101201.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 67

Matt99

Auditioning
Real Name
Matteo Fantino
Santo fuma, amico. Sul serio?
certainly i'm serious, i'm not going to throw all this stuff away. for this I contacted a forum of people who I thought were experts, to ask him how to do it. On how to get a music system for music and also as a system to use with a microphone. Since I have a big house, if I had to host many people for a party it could come in handy, Indeed it is my goal. Can you help me? He is able ? Do you have the knowledge on the musical field?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I helped Matt bring his question to the forum. English is not his first language. And, as to his equipment (of which he is posting images), he is not a resident of the US. He lives in Europe.

I just wanted to add some context to his posts here. Thanks.

Matt99

Auditioning
Real Name
Matteo Fantino
Ho aiutato Matt a portare la sua domanda sul forum. L'inglese non è la sua prima lingua. E, per quanto riguarda la sua attrezzatura (di cui sta postando le immagini), non è residente negli Stati Uniti. Vive in Europa.

Volevo solo aggiungere un po' di contesto ai suoi post qui. Grazie.
Thanks Mike, I hope someone can help me. Unfortunately there are no professional forums like this here in Italy. Thanks again.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Did you check that they all actually power on and seem like they should be functional (especially given how they look w/ all the dust and debris)? Do you have remotes for all the ones that would likely originally have remotes? Most of what I see probably didn't originally have remotes, including that old NAD preamp (and of course, the various power amps) -- I'd definitely try to salvage that preamp and whatever other amps, but toss or maybe eBay most of the rest.

Also, probably helpful if you include brand, model numbers and such w/ each item.

Most here on HTF are in the USA w/ some mainly in other English-speaking countries -- and I gather nearly all who offer such help are located here in USA. It might not be easy for us to track down info and/or provide recommendations for what seems like very old equipment made for the Italian/European market where you are.

Still, do you not know the basics of setting up a stereo system? I guess maybe you haven't ever used separates (preamps and amps instead of receiver) before? Helps if we understand better what you know and don't know.

Didn't see any other pics of speakers besides the one. You should probably just use that one to test everything out some and then get something newer (and most likely much better) for actual use once you've determined all the electronics are in good functional order (and won't damage/blow anything, eg. good speakers). I suppose you could still use that old speaker for background music or something in a workspace perhaps...

Cheers! And welcome to HTF!

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
People here want to help, but the person asking has some obligation to be helpable. Forgive me if I'm not "getting it" but I don't know what the OP is asking for. Specifically, what the goal is.

I have done more research on this than I care to admit. Fulger Service is an Italian company founded in 1985 who installs commercial sound systems. The majority of the components posted are highly specialized for commercial use and don't appear to be adaptable to any normal home use, and most can't be used in conjunction with each other. Also, it all appears to be over 30 years old and in poor condition. Does any of it even work?

The NAD preamp could be used in a two channel music system, as well as the two channel amp, as was already explained. The Multigate Pro could theoretically be used, but I see no real purpose for it. I actually have a very similar component from dbx I bought in the '80s that's been in a box for decades. There's a dbx graphic EQ. Could it be used? Yeah, but again, I see no point. There's a pair of powered PA speakers. Do they even work? Could they be used? Sure. Would they sound like crap for music? Probably. All the other stuff is incredibly specialized commercial gear which probably has zero value for home use.

Matt99

Auditioning
Real Name
Matteo Fantino
Le persone qui vogliono aiutare, ma la persona che chiede ha l'obbligo di essere disponibile . Perdonami se non "capisco" ma non so cosa stia chiedendo l'OP. In particolare, qual è l'obiettivo.

Ho fatto più ricerche su questo di quanto voglia ammettere. Fulger Service è un'azienda italiana fondata nel 1985 che installa sistemi audio commerciali . La maggior parte dei componenti pubblicati sono altamente specializzati per uso commerciale e non sembrano essere adattabili a nessun normale uso domestico e la maggior parte non può essere utilizzata insieme tra loro. Inoltre, sembra che tutto abbia più di 30 anni e sia in cattive condizioni. Qualcuno di questi funziona anche?

Il preamplificatore NAD potrebbe essere utilizzato in un sistema musicale a due canali, così come l'amplificatore a due canali, come già spiegato. Il Multigate Pro potrebbe teoricamente essere utilizzato, ma non ne vedo uno scopo reale. In realtà ho un componente molto simile di dbx che ho acquistato negli anni '80 che è stato in una scatola per decenni. C'è un equalizzatore grafico dbx. Potrebbe essere usato? Sì, ma ripeto, non vedo alcun senso. C'è un paio di altoparlanti PA amplificati. Funzionano anche? Potrebbero essere usati? Sicuro. Suonerebbero come una schifezza per la musica? Probabilmente. Tutte le altre cose sono attrezzi commerciali incredibilmente specializzati che probabilmente non hanno valore per l'uso domestico.
you are right, thanks for the help. I was no longer available because I was thinking of selling everything online, hoping someone would buy them. Thank you for your time. Last question, the only thing I wouldn't throw away are the two Loudspeakers (you can see them in the picture) How can I use those? Simply by connecting an AUX cable? Or should I use them with a power amplifier or other to improve the sound? Thanks again.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
you are right, thanks for the help. I was no longer available because I was thinking of selling everything online, hoping someone would buy them. Thank you for your time. Last question, the only thing I wouldn't throw away are the two Loudspeakers (you can see them in the picture) How can I use those? Simply by connecting an AUX cable? Or should I use them with a power amplifier or other to improve the sound? Thanks again.
The speakers need a preamp, like the NAD, for source switching and volume control. They do NOT need a power amp, since they appear to be internally powered. You’ll need a special cable to connect them, which I’ll have to show later.

Matt99

Auditioning
Real Name
Matteo Fantino
Gli altoparlanti necessitano di un preamplificatore, come il NAD, per la commutazione della sorgente e il controllo del volume. NON necessitano di un finale di potenza, poiché sembrano essere alimentati internamente. Avrai bisogno di un cavo speciale per collegarli, che dovrò mostrare più avanti.
OK. Thanks. So I have to use for example: I connect the smartphone with AUX cable (like the one in the picture that I place) to the NAD preamplifier In the appropriate section of the IMPUT. Then I have to connect the two speakers to the NAD with which cable and in which of the many Outputs?also I saw that the two speakers have as the only input the one with which written under "Link" how do I use it? Thanks again for your patience.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-10-21-13-21-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-10-21-13-21-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_2022-08-10-21-12-43-48_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-10-21-12-43-48_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG20220803180902.jpg
    IMG20220803180902.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 47

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You might use that cable for the phone. I‘m using my iPad and hate trying to link things with it, so I’ll post a couple cable options for the speakers later.

Matt99

Auditioning
Real Name
Matteo Fantino
Tu usi quel cavo per il telefono. Sto usando il mio iPad e odio cercare di collegare le cose con esso, quindi posterò un paio di opzioni di cavo per gli altoparlanti in seguito.
grazie ancora, aspetto vostre notizie.

Matt99

Auditioning
Real Name
Matteo Fantino
Hai bisogno di un cavo diverso. Sto usando il mio iPad e odio cercare di collegare le cose con esso, quindi posterò un paio di opzioni via cavo più ok grazie ancora aspetto vostre notizie
Thanks again. I'm waiting for news

Frankie_A

Agent
From what you show in the photos, if you goal is just to get some music playing, you do have components that could make that happen -- how good or not it will sound is a "coin toss" (an American term that means "who knows."

1) The NAD preamp (assuming this and all the rest of these components are actually working) can be used as the heart of a stereo playback system. Plug any device you want to listen too into it -- your cellphone (using that adapter cable you show with a 3.5in male plug to two RCA male plugs), a CD player, an internet radio, and FM Tuner, etc. The preamp will accept all standard, line-level inputs which is what all consumer audio equipment use, so you are good there. The NAS also has a Phono input that will accept an LP turntable. Yes, that is decades old technology, but if you have a turntable and some LP albums, this preamp will play it.

2) You could go from the preamp out (Left and Right channels) directly into the speakers. You don't need an amplifier because as JohnRice said, the speakers have their own amplifiers built in. BUT, if you want a little more sound shaping tone controls other than the BASS and TREBLE control that the NAD provides, you could use the DBX 215 Graphic Equalizer.

3) The DBX 215 - Single Octave/15 Band Equalizer allows you to easily shape the sound coming out of your speakers. The good thing about it as opposed to other types of equalizers, is that it is very intuitive. When each of 15 level controls are in the middle of their travel and on the white line in the middle, the sound is essentially "flat" or untouched from the original. As you move each slider up and down that small part of the sound that it is controlling will be made louder if the slider is moved upward above the middle line, or it will be made softer if the slider is moved downward, below the middle line. Actually doing it is the best way to hear what the controls do. Best thing at first is to move a group of the sliders at once. The sliders on the left will control more of the bass sounds; the sliders on the right control more of the high sounds. There are two sets of sliders, one for the left channel and one for the right. Play with them while sound is coming from the speakers and you will hear immediately what they all do.

The thing about that DBX 215 -- as you can see, it has obviously been in a dirty environment for many years. These sliders are actually small signal level controls. Dirt is their worst enemy; when the contacts inside get dirty, they get noisy and scratchy and even stop making contact so no sound at all. It is nearly impossible to clean them as DBX, if I remember correctly, uses sealed faders so if the seal has let in that dirt and grime, it may also make it dearly impossible to clean. Quite frankly, if by some miracle you get clean sound out of it, fine, but if not, I wouldn't waste spending time opening it up and trying to get inside each of those 30 tiny level controls. You have tone control on the NAD and that is what looks like it was built into a pretty tight box -- better chance of its BASS and TREBLE controls not being contaminated.

4) It is quite obvious that all of the components here are old and weathered . I can see the RCA jacks are all oxidized. Oxidation reduces the contact point between the two metals (the plug and the jack) and prevents a good connection there and in turn that denigrates the audio signal. You should be able to find many brands of "tuner cleaner" which contains a solvent and sometimes a lubricant that will remove the oxidation. I suggest you clean each of the jacks on all the components. I would also recommend you use the product that we have found to be the best for that purpose and is used in all the recording studios I worked in -- Caig DeoxIT Contact Cleaner

5) You mention a few times that you would like to use a mic in this setup for parties. Unfortunately, microphones are designed to produce a signal that is substantially lower than any of the other component that you will plug into the NAD. So before you can get a mic to work with what you have, you need an extra component appropriately called a mic preamp.
Something like this: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/rolls-mp13-mini-mic-preamp/428714000000000
That mic preamp will amplify the very low output signals of the microphone; you then plug the output of the mic preamp into one of the NAD inputs, like "Tuner." There you have it -- karaoke night just waiting for the beer.

6) The speakers you show need AC power from a standard house AC socket. Now on this I have no direct knowledge -- I have no idea what the standard household voltage is where you live, but you need to be sure the components are rated for whatever you plan to plug them into. The AC plug that is visible in the picture on the NAD indeed looks like a European plug, so that seems right for you. The unit is stamped 220V, so be sure that's what you have. The speaker image is too blurred so I can't see the rating stamped next to the power cable socket so you just want to check that as well. You will also need interconnecting AC cables that plug into the socket on the back of the speakers

Best of luck with your project, Matt. I hope you are lucky and all of the components work.

Last edited:

Matt99

Auditioning
Real Name
Matteo Fantino
From what you show in the photos, if you goal is just to get some music playing, you do have components that could make that happen -- how good or not it will sound is a "coin toss" (an American term that means "who knows."

1) The NAD preamp (assuming this and all the rest of these components are actually working) can be used as the heart of a stereo playback system. Plug any device you want to listen too into it -- your cellphone (using that adapter cable you show with a 3.5in male plug to two RCA male plugs), a CD player, an internet radio, and FM Tuner, etc. The preamp will accept all standard, line-level inputs which is what all consumer audio equipment use, so you are good there. The NAS also has a Phono input that will accept an LP turntable. Yes, that is decades old technology, but if you have a turntable and some LP albums, this preamp will play it.

2) You could go from the preamp out (Left and Right channels) directly into the speakers. You don't need an amplifier because as JohnRice said, the speakers have their own amplifiers built in. BUT, if you want a little more sound shaping tone controls other than the BASS and TREBLE control that the NAD provides, you could use the DBX 215 Graphic Equalizer.

3) The DBX 215 - Single Octave/15 Band Equalizer allows you to easily shape the sound coming out of your speakers. The good thing about it as opposed to other types of equalizers, is that it is very intuitive. When each of 15 level controls are in the middle of their travel and on the white line in the middle, the sound is essentially "flat" or untouched from the original. As you move each slider up and down that small part of the sound that it is controlling will be made louder if the slider is moved upward above the middle line, or it will be made softer if the slider is moved downward, below the middle line. Actually doing it is the best way to hear what the controls do. Best thing at first is to move a group of the sliders at once. The sliders on the left will control more of the bass sounds; the sliders on the right control more of the high sounds. There are two sets of sliders, one for the left channel and one for the right. Play with them while sound is coming from the speakers and you will hear immediately what they all do.

The thing about that DBX 215 -- as you can see, it has obviously been in a dirty environment for many years. These sliders are actually small signal level controls. Dirt is their worst enemy; when the contacts inside get dirty, they get noisy and scratchy and even stop making contact so no sound at all. It is nearly impossible to clean them as DBX, if I remember correctly, uses sealed faders so if the seal has let in that dirt and grime, it may also make it dearly impossible to clean. Quite frankly, if by some miracle you get clean sound out of it, fine, but if not, I wouldn't waste spending time opening it up and trying to get inside each of those 30 tiny level controls. You have tone control on the NAD and that is what looks like it was built into a pretty tight box -- better chance of its BASS and TREBLE controls not being contaminated.

4) It is quite obvious that all of the components here are old and weathered . I can see the RCA jacks are all oxidized. Oxidation reduces the contact point between the two metals (the plug and the jack) and prevents a good connection there and in turn that denigrates the audio signal. You should be able to find many brands of "tuner cleaner" which contains a solvent and sometimes a lubricant that will remove the oxidation. I suggest you clean each of the jacks on all the components. I would also recommend you use the product that we have found to be the best for that purpose and is used in all the recording studios I worked in -- Caig DeoxIT Contact Cleaner

5) You mention a few times that you would like to use a mic in this setup for parties. Unfortunately, microphones are designed to produce a signal that is substantially lower than any of the other component that you will plug into the NAD. So before you can get a mic to work with what you have, you need an extra component appropriately called a mic preamp.
Something like this: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/rolls-mp13-mini-mic-preamp/428714000000000
That mic preamp will amplify the very low output signals of the microphone; you then plug the output of the mic preamp into one of the NAD inputs, like "Tuner." There you have it -- karaoke night just waiting for the beer.

6) The speakers you show need AC power from a standard house AC socket. Now on this I have no direct knowledge -- I have no idea what the standard household voltage is where you live, but you need to be sure the components are rated for whatever you plan to plug them into. The AC plug that is visible in the picture on the NAD indeed looks like a European plug, so that seems right for you. The unit is stamped 220V, so be sure that's what you have. The speaker image is too blurred so I can't see the rating stamped next to the power cable socket so you just want to check that as well. You will also need interconnecting AC cables that plug into the socket on the back of the speakers

Best of luck with your project, Matt. I hope you are lucky and all of the components work.
Hi Frankie, thank you so much for your complete guide, I can really say that I understand almost everything (obviously not so). However I thought in the end to use only the NAD with the speakers (they work with 220v voltage). From what I understand from your guide it would be interesting to try to connect the DBX 215 That would be used to tweak the sound quality in more detail frequency by frequency, stuff the NAD can't do, right? Now I wait for JohnRice to recommend the cable to connect the NAD to the speakers, he said the RCA jack is inconvenient ... Also I tried to connect a classic wired microphone to the speaker and as you said Frankie felt very low, because it needed an amplifier, see if I have one Which might look like what you sent me in chat. Anyway thanks again to everyone for the help, really a forum of experienced and competent people.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, just to finish with the cable options to connect the NAD 1155 to the speakers. It's a little confusing, because they seem to have two input options, which is common for PA speakers, except the XLR input says "Input" and the 1/4" plug says "Link". So I'm not positive the 1/4" plug is an input, though that's the most common connection to use with PA speakers.

Anyway, the two matching cables are RCA to XLR Male. Make certain the XLR end is male, not female. And, RCA to 1/4" Plug. Those links are US, but those are very common cables you can get in any country.

Matt99

Auditioning
Real Name
Matteo Fantino
OK, solo per finire con le opzioni del cavo per collegare il NAD 1155 agli altoparlanti. È un po' confuso, perché sembrano avere due opzioni di ingresso, che è comune per gli altoparlanti PA, tranne per il fatto che l'ingresso XLR dice "Input" e la spina da 1/4" dice "Link". Quindi non sono sicuro che 1/ La spina da 4" è un ingresso, sebbene sia la connessione più comune da utilizzare con gli altoparlanti PA.

Ad ogni modo, i due cavi corrispondenti sono da RCA a XLR maschio . Assicurati che l'estremità XLR sia maschio, non femmina. E, spina da RCA a 1/4" . Questi collegamenti sono statunitensi, ma sono cavi molto comuni che puoi ottenere in qualsiasi paese.
ok thanks again for the advice, i think i know these two cables. maybe I already have one I will try to use it. last thing: for the microphone, I have to attach it directly to the speaker Or first at NAD? Or as we said before I have to have a microphone amplifier. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks