What's new

What do I need to build a Tempest sonosub (1 Viewer)

HungLe

Agent
Hi,

Ok so I am just done with midterms and thinking of starting my home theater system with the sub first. I am thinking of using the Tempest driver in a sonotube like everyone else. I've never built a subwoofer before so I don't know what I will need in terms of parts. Does anyone has a website with a list of parts that I need and where to get them? Like what amp (i am thinking of the av250) and where to get the sock that goes over the tube to make it pretty and what kind of spike feets. Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Check Patman's site. He has a list of materials for three different "Sunosubs" that he built. Very informative!
Basically, you'll need:
Sonotube
3/4" MDF (4x8 panel)
1/4" 3/8" plywood or OSB
Tempest Driver
Some kind of amp
Port (if porting enclosure) 4 or 6" PVC works fine, or you can buy flared vents. Carpet tubes would work fine too.
Wood Glue
Silicone Caulk
Sandpaper
Tools to cut, sand, rout, clamp, as necessary
Really, the rest you'll figure out along the way. "Mmmm, my driver keeps falling on the floor. Maybe I should get some kind of nuts and bolts to hold it in."
Again, please scour Pat Sun's site. Read it, learn it, memorize it, live it, do it.
I'm in process building my own Tempest sonotube, so Pat's site has been by Bible.
JKS

HungLe

Agent
I am confused to what is the "ideal" tuning port for this driver. My guess is that it depends on the volume. If so what is the "ideal" volume and if that is too large, any suggestion for a good compromise volume size without going too overboard? I don't mind losing a little performance due to the size but not too much either. The sub will be used for 50% music 50% movies. Thanks for the help. I am learning slowly! hehe.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Check Adire's Vented Tempest Applications for what is "ideal" for this driver. They pretty much spell it out for you (though you don't have to build the box and bracing if you're using Sonotube).
Also, download either LspCAD or WinISD or both (LspCAD already has specs. for the Tempest loaded). These programs will help you with design and to see what practical differences volume, tuning, power, etc. have on your design. These programs are especially useful if you deviate from Adire's suggested applications.
Good luck!
JKS

HungLe

Agent
Which design do you guys recommend for my purpose? The adire alignment design looks good since it is the middle of the road between power vs quality. i dont think i want to go for the ebs design since it is so HUGE!

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Any of Adire's alignments should be good. If the Adire alignment looks good to you, great! Yes, the EBS is huge. Me, I'm going in between. A 280-290L (About 10 ft^3) enclosure tuned to 16-18Hz (haven't decided for sure yet.)

That's the cool thing about LspCAD. You can take their suggested alignment and mess around with it and see what happens. "What if I tune to 10Hz, or 25Hz?, What if I want an enclosure less than 150L, or 100L?"

What is your purpose?

Sub building is a series of tradeoffs. Adire's suggested alignments have strengths and weaknesses. Any modifications you make from their alignments will have different strengths and different weaknesses. Decide what your design goals are (Small Enclosure, Deep Extention, Flat response, High Efficiency - you probably can't have them all) and play around with LspCAD and see how close you can come to meeting those goals.

Good Luck!

JKS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks